ssis and ssrs interview questions

• Lynn Pettis (8/19/2010)

Jeff Moden (8/18/2010)

I just got done with a long run of interviews for a Sr. Systems DBA and an SQL Server T-SQL Developer. There were about 8 candidates for each job. I should probably write and article about it... it was absolutely brutal. I've never seen so many people who knew so little about what their trade was. That includes the head hunters who thought they were good candidates.

Sounds to me that a mock interview with you would be a good place to start in developing a Professional Development Plan for enhancing an individuals knowledge and abilities.

Would love to know what kinds of questions you asked these people. I'd probably be surprised at how much I don't know and still need to learn.

Nah... it's not just me, Lynn. I'm nothing special and the questions aren't anything that you or anyone else wouldn't have asked. The only time I break out any "tough" questions is once they've gotten past the basics. You know... BASICS like how do you join 3 tables? How do you find things in one table that aren't in another? It's all simple stuff from SQL 101 and they can't answer. That goes for even the DBA candidates. It was absolutely disgusting how few of the basics these people actually knew.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (8/20/2010)

Lynn Pettis (8/19/2010)

Jeff Moden (8/18/2010)

I just got done with a long run of interviews for a Sr. Systems DBA and an SQL Server T-SQL Developer. There were about 8 candidates for each job. I should probably write and article about it... it was absolutely brutal. I've never seen so many people who knew so little about what their trade was. That includes the head hunters who thought they were good candidates.

Sounds to me that a mock interview with you would be a good place to start in developing a Professional Development Plan for enhancing an individuals knowledge and abilities.

Would love to know what kinds of questions you asked these people. I'd probably be surprised at how much I don't know and still need to learn.

Nah... it's not just me, Lynn. I'm nothing special and the questions aren't anything that you or anyone else wouldn't have asked. The only time I break out any "tough" questions is once they've gotten past the basics. You know... BASICS like how do you join 3 tables? How do you find things in one table that aren't in another? It's all simple stuff from SQL 101 and they can't answer. That goes for even the DBA candidates. It was absolutely disgusting how few of the basics these people actually knew.

Don't you use a triangular join to join 3 tables? 😛

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I'm not sure - but I think that the ideal pork chop may be of triangular shape. I'd give that a try.

If I'm wrong, I may need to duck and yell out 'Incoming".

Greg E

• Alvin Ramard (8/24/2010)

That means you'll need a CROSS JOIN for 4 tables. :hehe:

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/24/2010)

Alvin Ramard (8/24/2010)

Yep.

I'm clueless about what kind of join you'd use for 5 tables. :ermm:

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• It'll have to be a HASH join, it's advertised as the one that handles large numbers.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/24/2010)

It'll have to be a HASH join, it's advertised as the one that handles large numbers.

I guess that 6 tables would be one hex of a join. 😎

Alvin Ramard

GilaMonster (8/24/2010)

It'll have to be a HASH join, it's advertised as the one that handles large numbers.

I guess that 6 tables would be one hex of a join. 😎

6 one... half dozen the other. 😛

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

GilaMonster (8/24/2010)

Alvin Ramard (8/24/2010)

Yep.

5 Bean Salad. :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

GilaMonster (8/24/2010)

Alvin Ramard (8/24/2010)

Yep.

I'd use a Star Join on all the tables. While waiting fo rthat to finish, I'd comtemplate the 5 bean.

6 would likely be some form of double triangular join.

But that is for experts only. I've never been able to get it working right.

Greg E

• Ball-and-socket works for me every time.

Oh hang on, I'm wrong, that's a joint. Which is what you lot have been smoking, by the looks of things 🙂

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (8/25/2010)

Alvin Ramard (8/24/2010)

GilaMonster (8/24/2010)

Alvin Ramard (8/24/2010)

Yep.

I'd use a Star Join on all the tables. While waiting fo rthat to finish, I'd comtemplate the 5 bean.

6 would likely be some form of double triangular join.

But that is for experts only. I've never been able to get it working right.

Greg E

Star join for 5 tables and a Star of David for 6? 😛

Alvin Ramard

• Thanks a lot Vishal...this helped a lot!!!!!!

• Hi,

I have consolidate few SSRS and TSQL questions for interview on my blog http://SQLServerQuest.blogspot.com .

you can check SSRS interview questions from there.

Thanks

Randheer

Randheer Singh

----------------------------------
    CheckOut My Blog for SQL Server Realated Topics and Interview Questions for SSIS , SSRS and TSQL.

http://www.sqlserverquest.com/p/ssrs-interview-questions.html
    http://www.sqlserverquest.com/p/ssis-interview-questions.html
    http://www.sqlserverquest.com/p/tsql-interview-questions.html

• parmar.randheer11 (1/30/2011)

Hi,

I have consolidate few SSRS and TSQL questions for interview on my blog http://SQLServerQuest.blogspot.com .

you can check SSRS interview questions from there.

Thanks

Randheer

I got just a couple of questions in before I found this...

[font="Arial Black"]What is the difference between char and varchar?[/font]

Char is used for character data types and varchar is used for string data types it can handle spaces between names also.

I also ran into this...

[font="Arial Black"]What is the table variable?[/font]

Table variable is the variable used to store data in table form. It like temporary table but it scopes remains till the execution of the query only. It a variable so no index can be created on it.

I strongly suggest you review the accuracy of the answers for your questions. 😉

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 163 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply