Talking Back

• Revenant (4/15/2010)

Microsoft:

"As a general rule, Microsoft has a very simple policy on blogs: We expect employees to be smart and exercise good judgment. ..."

(links to 22 FAQ topics follow; no hard don'ts)

I like this stance. The same goes for Internet Use - be smart and exercise good judgment.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/15/2010)

Revenant (4/15/2010)

Microsoft:

"As a general rule, Microsoft has a very simple policy on blogs: We expect employees to be smart and exercise good judgment. ..."

I like this stance. The same goes for Internet Use - be smart and exercise good judgment.

Yes, but you're preaching to the choir here. The people who really need to know or understand this information are not likely to be found on tech forums.

And some of them are politicians.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (4/15/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/15/2010)

Revenant (4/15/2010)

Microsoft:

Yes, but you're preaching to the choir here. The people who really need to know or understand this information are not likely to be found on tech forums.

And some of them are politicians.

Just some?

I would think most!:-D

Learn Extended Events

• Always be careful what you expect when you use the word "expect" in anything in life... 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• From what i understand of the companies i've worked at, you don't broadcast or discuss company confidential information ever. So in that regard, blogging is already covered. It's already in the contract you signed when you started. As a consultant, we are bound to not discuss client business activity either. Also in the contract.

So straight off the bat from your normal employee contract, you're not allowed to blog about business related activities that are deemed to be confidential at some level.

Ofcourse, things like your office culture are not confidential information unless that's also covered in some additional clause. Social club meetings, etc are free for blogging too.

There's always the option i go for, and never mention the company name, or remotely refer to it. I'm working for one of less then 10 companies in a specific industry in the country, so to help further prevent any issues with people finding out who i'm working for, i'll keep that hidden as much as possible. Any work related blogs will just cover the issue at hand, be it some code base or idea, or be too broad and could refer to almost any industry with an IT department.

I think what was said earlier was the best advice - use discretion.

If you want to bag out your company for some reason, then do it in person to your friends where they can at least cover up for you. Once your blog is posted, that's it, there's no removing the trace back to you.

• I'm a fan of blogging, and I think it helps me think through things, get ideas, and ensures that I understand things myself when I go to put them down on paper. I don't know that I think banning blogging from work is a good idea. Or banning Facebook, etc. People will work a certain amount and you should expect that effort from them. There may be times when FB or YouTube gets out of hand, but overall I think people will get their work done.

Hold them accountable for that they need to get done and what they don't get done. Don't worry about them spending time blogging or responding to a note on FB. It's a silly use of company resources to enforce it. Train managers to watch out for overuse, and handle it on a case by case basis.

• awoodhouse (4/15/2010)

From what i understand of the companies i've worked at, you don't broadcast or discuss company confidential information ever. So in that regard, blogging is already covered. It's already in the contract you signed when you started. As a consultant, we are bound to not discuss client business activity either. Also in the contract.

Heh... PERIOD!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• It's interesting... SQL Server Central has taken it on the chin a couple of times about the low quality and/or bad information which sometimes appears in its articles because of the "minimally edited" policy (and, I love that policy... seriously). But, as bad as some of them have been, I've not seen worse than that which appears in some folks blogs. On SSC articles, we can at least have a discussion about the low quality and/or bad information and everyone learns including the author.

Blogs, however, are widely scattered across the internet usually making them difficult to find and most folks won't take the time to make a comment on the 100 or so blogs that may come up on a very narrow subject even if they're all woefully incorrect. Some blogs also have the nasty feature of having a reply "approved" (usually by the blog writer) which means that the blog owner can take input from users, never "approve" the reply, and take full credit for the good information making a potential moroff look like an SQL Ninja. There are, of course, several exceptional blogs by some of the Ninja's that frequent SSC that don't fall into that particular category.

I agree with that which has already been stated... I'd like to see SSC spend more time and money on getting people to publish articles than spending even a second on supporting blogs. Of course, I'm probably a minority because people do seem to like blogging.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (4/15/2010)

I agree with that which has already been stated... I'd like to see SSC spend more time and money on getting people to publish articles than spending even a second on supporting blogs. Of course, I'm probably a minority because people do seem to like blogging.

Blogging is easy. It doesn't require someone to think through what they're doing. You just jot it down random thoughts, spellcheck (if you're not lazy) and wallah! Suddenly you have your "professional" opinion on the interwebz.

Whereas writing an article takes effort, thinking about the theme, doublechecking your thought processes, adding in code (if applicable) plus adding the appropriate HTML tags so Steve doesn't have to go in behind you...

At least, that's why I think most people prefer blogging. But I agree. Articles in one place seem to be more useful. Then again, I do blog. Mostly on my writing stuff, though.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (4/16/2010)

Jeff Moden (4/15/2010)

Blogging is easy. It doesn't require someone to think through what they're doing. You just jot it down random thoughts, spellcheck (if you're not lazy) and wallah! Suddenly you have your "professional" opinion on the interwebz.

Whereas writing an article takes effort, thinking about the theme, doublechecking your thought processes, adding in code (if applicable) plus adding the appropriate HTML tags so Steve doesn't have to go in behind you...

At least, that's why I think most people prefer blogging. But I agree. Articles in one place seem to be more useful. Then again, I do blog. Mostly on my writing stuff, though.

I wouldn't think writing a blog post would really be different from writing an article? If you're going to write a slop blog, then you'd write a slop article too, and if you'd go through the process above for an article, you'd do the same for a blog post, knowing your name will be attached ad infinitum. Maybe that's just me. Having written neither, it's easy to comment 😉

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (4/16/2010)

I wouldn't think writing a blog post would really be different from writing an article? If you're going to write a slop blog, then you'd write a slop article too...Having written neither, it's easy to comment 😉

Most people who blog don't write articles, though. That's my point. It's easy for "most people" to jot off their thoughts (whether or not it's about work or just their everyday schtuff) but not easy to write an article, hence people who blog mostly just blog.

Witness the number of blogs from people talking about what they ate in the morning, what they wore, the funny gossip they heard on their commute, etc. Also the blogs ranting about people's coworkers or bosses. These are outlets for people, not necessarily something used for professional conversations.

Me? I try to keep my personal life out of my blog. I don't want the entire universe to know that I'm a Timelord from... Um, anyway, I just try to keep my blog related to my various jobs and even then, I try to keep it as noninflammatory as possible.

• Brandie Tarvin (4/16/2010)[hrWhereas writing an article takes effort, thinking about the theme, doublechecking your thought processes, ...

BWAA-HAA! Apparently, some folks don't know the difference. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Brandie Tarvin (4/16/2010)

Me? I try to keep my personal life out of my blog. I don't want the entire universe to know that I'm a Timelord from...

Heh... same here... I'd never blog the Zeta beam schedule. 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I know we've had some article issues, and probably always will. However in an article there typically is at least one other set of eyes to try and correct issues, or point things out. I have pointed out problems to authors, or potential contention points, but do still publish things that generate debate at times. I know I'm not the final authority on all things SQL, and to be a good editor, I think that at times I need to let things go I don't agree with.

A blog typically has writer/editor/publisher rolled into one. That may or may not work out well.

• jcrawf02 (4/16/2010)

Brandie Tarvin (4/16/2010)

Jeff Moden (4/15/2010)

I wouldn't think writing a blog post would really be different from writing an article? If you're going to write a slop blog, then you'd write a slop article too, and if you'd go through the process above for an article, you'd do the same for a blog post, knowing your name will be attached ad infinitum. Maybe that's just me. Having written neither, it's easy to comment 😉

I'm of the same opinion. I try to make what I blog be of high quality. I don't need to keep a dayplanner on my blog. I don't care to gossip there either - not professional. I try to take the same approach whether writing an article or writing a blog.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply