Talking Back

• Jeff Moden (4/16/2010)

Brandie Tarvin (4/16/2010)[hrWhereas writing an article takes effort, thinking about the theme, doublechecking your thought processes, ...

BWAA-HAA! Apparently, some folks don't know the difference. 😀

That's true on both sides of the spectrum (for good and bad).

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/16/2010)

jcrawf02 (4/16/2010)

Brandie Tarvin (4/16/2010)

Jeff Moden (4/15/2010)

I agree with that which has already been stated... I'd like to see SSC spend more time and money on getting people to publish articles than spending even a second on supporting blogs. Of course, I'm probably a minority because people do seem to like blogging.

Blogging is easy. It doesn't require someone to think through what they're doing. You just jot it down random thoughts, spellcheck (if you're not lazy) and wallah! Suddenly you have your "professional" opinion on the interwebz.

Whereas writing an article takes effort, thinking about the theme, doublechecking your thought processes, adding in code (if applicable) plus adding the appropriate HTML tags so Steve doesn't have to go in behind you...

At least, that's why I think most people prefer blogging. But I agree. Articles in one place seem to be more useful. Then again, I do blog. Mostly on my writing stuff, though.

I wouldn't think writing a blog post would really be different from writing an article? If you're going to write a slop blog, then you'd write a slop article too, and if you'd go through the process above for an article, you'd do the same for a blog post, knowing your name will be attached ad infinitum. Maybe that's just me. Having written neither, it's easy to comment 😉

I'm of the same opinion. I try to make what I blog be of high quality. I don't need to keep a dayplanner on my blog. I don't care to gossip there either - not professional. I try to take the same approach whether writing an article or writing a blog.

I make an attempt at quality regardless of whether it is a blog or an article. The main difference for me is that I try to keep blog posts shorter and my blog posts are trending towards being more editorial in nature and may contain some personal information, while any articles I write would be longer and more technical and how-to in nature. The technical posts take A LOT more time so I'd just assume get paid, even $25 for them. That being said I do try to keep some technical stuff on my blog which means less time for articles, which is why SSC hasn't gotten one from me in awhile.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (4/16/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/16/2010)

jcrawf02 (4/16/2010)

Brandie Tarvin (4/16/2010)

Jeff Moden (4/15/2010)

I agree with that which has already been stated... I'd like to see SSC spend more time and money on getting people to publish articles than spending even a second on supporting blogs. Of course, I'm probably a minority because people do seem to like blogging.

Blogging is easy. It doesn't require someone to think through what they're doing. You just jot it down random thoughts, spellcheck (if you're not lazy) and wallah! Suddenly you have your "professional" opinion on the interwebz.

Whereas writing an article takes effort, thinking about the theme, doublechecking your thought processes, adding in code (if applicable) plus adding the appropriate HTML tags so Steve doesn't have to go in behind you...

At least, that's why I think most people prefer blogging. But I agree. Articles in one place seem to be more useful. Then again, I do blog. Mostly on my writing stuff, though.

I wouldn't think writing a blog post would really be different from writing an article? If you're going to write a slop blog, then you'd write a slop article too, and if you'd go through the process above for an article, you'd do the same for a blog post, knowing your name will be attached ad infinitum. Maybe that's just me. Having written neither, it's easy to comment 😉

I'm of the same opinion. I try to make what I blog be of high quality. I don't need to keep a dayplanner on my blog. I don't care to gossip there either - not professional. I try to take the same approach whether writing an article or writing a blog.

I make an attempt at quality regardless of whether it is a blog or an article. The main difference for me is that I try to keep blog posts shorter and my blog posts are trending towards being more editorial in nature and may contain some personal information, while any articles I write would be longer and more technical and how-to in nature. The technical posts take A LOT more time so I'd just assume get paid, even $25 for them. That being said I do try to keep some technical stuff on my blog which means less time for articles, which is why SSC hasn't gotten one from me in awhile.

I agree that the technical posts do tend to take a longer time to write. I wonder how many of my posts I could turn into articles? My posts tend to get lengthy and seem more article worthy. Maybe that is a good question to bring up on my blog:-D

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/16/2010)

I agree that the technical posts do tend to take a longer time to write. I wonder how many of my posts I could turn into articles? My posts tend to get lengthy and seem more article worthy. Maybe that is a good question to bring up on my blog:-D

I got some good advice from Steve a few months after I started blogging and he suggested that really technical posts should be articles and then blog about the articles and possibly the comments on the articles. Good advice, which I am ignoring at the moment as I have a really long blog post started about clustering using Virtual PC. I'm just not sure that fits as an SSC article though.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (4/16/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/16/2010)

I got some good advice from Steve a few months after I started blogging and he suggested that really technical posts should be articles and then blog about the articles and possibly the comments on the articles. Good advice, which I am ignoring at the moment as I have a really long blog post started about clustering using Virtual PC. I'm just not sure that fits as an SSC article though.

I like that idea. Maybe I will start applying it.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply