Talking baseball

• That got me thinking. It probably wouldn't take much for a big company to buy a minor league team and name them after a database product. File it under Marketing.

Redmond SQL Servers

Washington DBAs

California SharePoint(s)

Oracle .... nah

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• calvo (8/22/2012)

roryp 96873 (8/22/2012)

I thought everyone knew they use a different car in California than what they use at Daytona. 😛

off topic .... duh! This thought crossed my mind while typing but it's the only track that came to mind that is run in the first few races of the season. I didn't expect to run into NASCAR fans in the baseball thread!

on topic .... This kid has been throwing 95mph fast balls since high school. He'll be fine! Play the kid, win a WS and party like a rock star!

Grats to Mr. Hamilton. More interesting than 146+ stolen bases are the teams playing. The Pensacola Blue Wahoos and the Montgomery Biscuits.

Hope to see Billy Hamilton on the Red's swiping bases like Lou Brock, Vince Coleman and Kenny Lofton soon!

• calvo (8/22/2012)

roryp 96873 (8/22/2012)

I thought everyone knew they use a different car in California than what they use at Daytona. 😛

off topic .... duh! This thought crossed my mind while typing but it's the only track that came to mind that is run in the first few races of the season. I didn't expect to run into NASCAR fans in the baseball thread!

on topic .... This kid has been throwing 95mph fast balls since high school. He'll be fine! Play the kid, win a WS and party like a rock star!

Grats to Mr. Hamilton. More interesting than 146+ stolen bases are the teams playing. The Pensacola Blue Wahoos and the Montgomery Biscuits.

off topic .... Ya, not all fans live in the deep south making moonshine in the woods. 😉 I wonder how many of us are on here, perhaps a thread for that is in store if there are enough.

on topic .... That is why I love the minor leagues. Not only does it allow me to watch pro baseball here in Montana (I got to watch Hamilton play 2 years ago), but they have great mascots and do awesome promotions. The Orem Owlz, who play in the Pioneer League (same league that the Montana teams play in) are coming out with a three headed bobblehead soon with Trumbo and a couple other guys that played for them a few years back. If you haven't seen it, google it. It's kind of scary.

• roryp 96873 (8/22/2012)

on topic .... That is why I love the minor leagues. Not only does it allow me to watch pro baseball here in Montana (I got to watch Hamilton play 2 years ago), but they have great mascots and do awesome promotions.

Gotta love the minors. Went to a Tri-City ValleyCats game the other night (Astros NY-Penn League affiliate -- their ballpark is only a mile from my house). I commented to my wife, "wonder how many of these guys will ever make the majors."

Two former ValleyCats that I saw play here are now pretty big names: Hunter Pence and Ben Zobrist.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K (8/22/2012)

roryp 96873 (8/22/2012)

on topic .... That is why I love the minor leagues. Not only does it allow me to watch pro baseball here in Montana (I got to watch Hamilton play 2 years ago), but they have great mascots and do awesome promotions.

Gotta love the minors. Went to a Tri-City ValleyCats game the other night (Astros NY-Penn League affiliate -- their ballpark is only a mile from my house). I commented to my wife, "wonder how many of these guys will ever make the majors."

Two former ValleyCats that I saw play here are now pretty big names: Hunter Pence and Ben Zobrist.

I know what you mean... the Yankees AAA team used to be here in Columbus OH (Columbus Clippers)..... for the longest time (Years ago) we got to see some HOF players play here and a few 'to be' HOF. It was quite a treat. Cle. Indians fans HATED having the Yankees here in Cols.... Now the Indians AAA team plays in a new ballpark here as they chanced the Yankees out of town... LOL.

• Re: Minor League Baseball....

I hope New Yorkers know how good they've got it. I haven't been in the Apple for a number of years now, but have a sweet memory of taking the Staten Island ferry (Free!!) from Manhattan and walking the ten minutes to the class A SI Yankees' ballpark. Pretty place with a view of the harbor, new facility (ten years old now, I'd guess) and every seat within 50-60 feet of the field (as I recall) at minor league prices.

• john.arnott (8/22/2012)

Re: Minor League Baseball....

I hope New Yorkers know how good they've got it. I haven't been in the Apple for a number of years now, but have a sweet memory of taking the Staten Island ferry (Free!!) from Manhattan and walking the ten minutes to the class A SI Yankees' ballpark. Pretty place with a view of the harbor, new facility (ten years old now, I'd guess) and every seat within 50-60 feet of the field (as I recall) at minor league prices.

I've seen the SI Yankees ballpark from the Staten Island Ferry. I want to catch a game there at some point. BTW, about the ValleyCats game I went to the other night -- their opponent was the Staten Island Yankees! 🙂 I was torn over whether to root for the hometown ValleyCats or the Yankee farm club!

I also used to go to Albany-Colonie Yankee games back when they were based here (they are now the Trenton Thunder). Got to see Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera come through, before they became famous! J.T. Snow also played for the A-C Yanks -- got to see him as well!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Jeter for MVP? Heard a decent argument that he should be considered.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/23/2012)

Jeter for MVP? Heard a decent argument that he should be considered.

That crazy lunatic who wanders onto ESPN sets from time to time and goes by the name Skip Bayless also thinks we should at least consider that he may be using PEDs.

• Bayless is the Rush Limbaugh of sports. Says things to get attention and get listeners without really backing anything up.

It seems Steven A Smith is also heading in that direction. Why can't we get people that provide thoughtful comments and don't just aim for shock value?

• Probably because no one will pay attention to them unless they say something stupid. Half the time I think guys like Bayless and Limbaugh do this as a character, similar to Stephen Colbert, because no sane person can really have some of those thoughs, right? Unlike Colbert however, these guys are not funny.

• roryp 96873 (8/23/2012)

Probably because no one will pay attention to them unless they say something stupid. Half the time I think guys like Bayless and Limbaugh do this as a character, similar to Stephen Colbert, because no sane person can really have some of those thoughs, right? Unlike Colbert however, these guys are not funny.

+1

• Red Sox. Dodgers. Trade.

Who got the better end?

Discuss.

• Did you know there was a baseball league in France?

Neither did I!

• Ray K (8/27/2012)

Red Sox. Dodgers. Trade.

Who got the better end?

Discuss.

Unless the Dodgers win the Series this year, it seems obvious to me that the Sox are the winners. Even then I'm not even sure, maybe the Dodgers would have to win 2 of the next 3 WS to be winners here.

Boston dumped over $270 million worth of salary (and a couple of guys who were becoming rather unpopular at Fenway) and it looks like they only had to cover $12 million of that. Plus they get Loney who may benifit from a change of scenery, if not, oh well, and 4 minor leaguers. I have no idea how good any of them are, but you have to figure at least a couple of them can come and be productive in the show.

Now the Dodgers have big money they are paying to the whole outfield and first base through 2017. Gonzalez is signed another year after that and Kemp is through 2019. PLUS, they signed the Cuban defector Puig who is an outfielder to a 7 year $42 million deal earlier this year, which is a lot to be paying someone who doesn't seem to have a place on the team in the foreseeable future.

Obviously things can change quite a bit in the next 5-7 years, but if this were Texas Holdem, this looks like the Dodgers are betting the ranch on the river card and they don't have the best hand (currently 3.5 back in the division and 2.5 back in the wild card).

Viewing 15 posts - 1,066 through 1,080 (of 1,967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply