Talking baseball

• Ray K (11/1/2012)

calvo (11/1/2012)

Yep, another good series. I would have been happy either way.

Now let the A-Rod trade rumors begin!

I'll make you a deal. A-Rod for Middleton and Big Papi. πŸ˜€

Ha! Deal! We'll even pick up the rest of A-Rod's contract with you guys!

Yeah, having the Astros in the AL will shake things up a little. At least give us something to talk about for now.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• Good reading at SI.com.

Josh Hamilton is a potential free agent if the Rangers don't sign him. Their concern is his addictions (to energy drinks!).

Raphael Soriano opted out of his final year and is a free agent, interesting. New York would be in a tight spot for closers with big Mo out and return being uncertain and Soriano potentially gone.

Maybe they can trade A-Rod to themselves, buy-out his contract, re-sign him for double and use him as a closer?

And the White Sox didn't sign Youklis for his second year so he's also a free agent! Oh man!

______________________________________________________________________________________________

• Big trade last night!!!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K (11/14/2012)

Big trade last night!!!

Certainly was/is.... man talk about unloading the team in one fell swoop... wow.

• Markus (11/14/2012)

Ray K (11/14/2012)

Big trade last night!!!

Certainly was/is.... man talk about unloading the team in one fell swoop... wow.

I've been reading that Loria has been catching a lot of flak from everywhere -- media, players, fans -- and he deserves it, IMHO. He may very well be the worst owner in baseball, if not all of sports.

I blame him for driving the Montreal Expos into the ground. He may very well be doing the same thing with the Marlins.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Ray K (11/15/2012)

Markus (11/14/2012)

Ray K (11/14/2012)

Big trade last night!!!

I've been reading that Loria has been catching a lot of flak from everywhere -- media, players, fans -- and he deserves it, IMHO. He may very well be the worst owner in baseball, if not all of sports.

I blame him for driving the Montreal Expos into the ground. He may very well be doing the same thing with the Marlins.

maybe so... however, we all do not know what goes on behind the scenes....

Did revenue not hit the numbers they needed to maintain payroll?

Is projected revenue not going to hit the numbers they need to maintain payroll?

Did ownership demand they do this?

Did they view this trade as a we are overwhelmed with the talent we are getting back so we have to do this trade based on our poor showing?

• Markus (11/15/2012)

Ray K (11/15/2012)

Markus (11/14/2012)

Ray K (11/14/2012)

Big trade last night!!!

maybe so... however, we all do not know what goes on behind the scenes....

Did revenue not hit the numbers they needed to maintain payroll?

Is projected revenue not going to hit the numbers they need to maintain payroll?

Did ownership demand they do this?

Did they view this trade as a we are overwhelmed with the talent we are getting back so we have to do this trade based on our poor showing?

Jeff Loria is the ownership.

He spent all this money on expensive free-agents and built a brand-new ballpark (mostly at taxpayer expense), promising to build a competitive team. Well, after only one year (which we all know is definitely not enough time to build a decent team) and a last place finish, he's scuttling his team.

And this is not the first time he's done this. He has a long and sordid history of this behavior. He's fired managers for "lack of results" after only one year (see Girardi, Joe). He's torn teams apart after World Series victories (and this year, he doesn't have that luxury). He's alienated his fan base and members of his own team.

Okay, granted, I'll give you that we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. But what we're seeing on the outside is pretty ugly. I don't see any other team -- including my Yankees in their "bad" Steinbrenner years -- doing what the Marlins are doing now. But at least the Yankees have years of tradition to build on, and they could get away with it. The Marlins don't, and they can't. If I was a Marlins fan, I'd be suing to get my money back.

• Posting purely for ensuring this thread isn't relegated to the second page!

Any good hot stove news?

• news is Longoria signed an extension with the Rays. Good through 2022 (wow! :w00t: )

That's such a huge risk for any team to take. To hope someone stays healthy for 10 years never mind their skill as a player stays at that salary level.

He's 27 now and looks like he'll be retiring as a Ray(s?)

• Signing someone for 10 years seems crazy. As much as I don't love the NFL 1 yr contracts and dropping people, I think that both that and this (long contracts) are bad for business. Put more performance or popularity incentives in contracts and pay people when they perform, and have them move on when they don't.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/26/2012)

Signing someone for 10 years seems crazy. As much as I don't love the NFL 1 yr contracts and dropping people, I think that both that and this (long contracts) are bad for business. Put more performance or popularity incentives in contracts and pay people when they perform, and have them move on when they don't.

I completely agree Steve... completely agree. Even a very young talent... NO.... too much risk... All I can say is Ken Griffey Jr. and the Reds did it again with Joey Votto, Votto is a great player but how can anyone guarantee in 6 years the player will be still good health wise. I am a big Red's fan but this just seems like way too risky.

• Small Market teams beware:

deadline.com reported that the Dodgers and Fox are close to agreeing on a 25-year television deal that will be worth between $6 and $7 billion. If the deals worth $6 billion, it will pay the Dodgers $240,000 million a year. If the it’s worth $7 billion, it will pay the Dodgers $280,000 million a year.

• Your interesting baseball read for the day: Tom Verducci's list of nine rules that baseball needs to change.

• Ray K (11/27/2012)

Your interesting baseball read for the day: Tom Verducci's list of nine rules that baseball needs to change.

That's interesting.

I definitely agree with #1 and #2, not sure about 3. I don't like pitchers throwing at the batter, but I also think umpires ought to ignore hits where the batter hasn't made a fair effort to move out of the way. The running lane (#4) is dumb.

For #5, I'd establish something like the clock in football/baseball, and set a limit on the number of "time outs" you get a game from the catcher. I'd also put the pressure on managers to replace pitchers rather than going out to talk to them.

#6, I think evolution is inevitable. Not sure how I feel about this. Do we allow communications in the helmets with pitchers? runners? A little torn here.

#7, I don't like the idea of an out for a chance event. Not sure this happens enough, but if it's an interference for safety, call it a dead ball like a foul and get a do-over

#8 - No new umpires, but I somewhat like the additional wild card. However I might go to a best of 5 for the DS/CS rounds and use a real home team rule. Best record has the first and last game. Go to the 2-2-1 or 2-2-1-1-1 set of games in parks.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/28/2012)

Ray K (11/27/2012)

Your interesting baseball read for the day: Tom Verducci's list of nine rules that baseball needs to change.

That's interesting.

I definitely agree with #1 and #2, not sure about 3. I don't like pitchers throwing at the batter, but I also think umpires ought to ignore hits where the batter hasn't made a fair effort to move out of the way. The running lane (#4) is dumb.

For #5, I'd establish something like the clock in football/baseball, and set a limit on the number of "time outs" you get a game from the catcher. I'd also put the pressure on managers to replace pitchers rather than going out to talk to them.

#6, I think evolution is inevitable. Not sure how I feel about this. Do we allow communications in the helmets with pitchers? runners? A little torn here.

#7, I don't like the idea of an out for a chance event. Not sure this happens enough, but if it's an interference for safety, call it a dead ball like a foul and get a do-over

#8 - No new umpires, but I somewhat like the additional wild card. However I might go to a best of 5 for the DS/CS rounds and use a real home team rule. Best record has the first and last game. Go to the 2-2-1 or 2-2-1-1-1 set of games in parks.

Steve: The problem with your #8 for the wild card additional team is this... if you go to a best of 5 and you split it up like you say you are going to really be pushing the playoffs towards the month of November. Add into that if rain/very cold starts to play a major factor and you have a day here or a day there delay... Say in: Cincinnati, New York (both), Boston, Pittsburg, KC, St. Louis, Cleveland, etc... I don't see them shortening the regular season to help this out either and starting it sooner would cause the same issues of possible snow in the same areas in addition to Denver.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,156 through 1,170 (of 1,967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply