Talking baseball

• Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Leave the 4th/5th place as a single game. That was fairly exciting.

Move the next two rounds (DS/CS) to a beset of 5. I know the first one is now, but let's make them all best of 5. Then let the WS be best of 7.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/28/2012)

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Leave the 4th/5th place as a single game. That was fairly exciting.

Move the next two rounds (DS/CS) to a beset of 5. I know the first one is now, but let's make them all best of 5. Then let the WS be best of 7.

I think this years second wild card was a one and done thing. There were a lot of players and teams that didn't like it. Problem is if weather becomes a factor then it could potentially hold up the rest of the playoffs in that league. Second, a lot of the playoff teams didn't like this because they had no idea who they were going to play until the game was over.

I am not sure I like it... to me... if you don't win your division or the next best record you probably shouldn't be in the playoffs. It waters the playoffs down too much. Just an observation from me is all.. 🙂

• The 2013 Hall of Fame ballot is out!

Who's in? Who's out?

If you were a BBWAA voter, who gets your vote?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K (11/29/2012)

The 2013 Hall of Fame ballot is out!

Who's in? Who's out?

If you were a BBWAA voter, who gets your vote?

Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, Franco, Piazza, Schilling, Lee Smith

maybe Finley, Lofton

Not sure about a bunch more.

• The Mets and David Wright have agreed to the largest contract in franchise history, according to WFAN's Ed Coleman. Coleman says it's seven years and $122MM in new money, which can be considered an eight-year, $138MM deal if the value of Wright's previously-exercised 2013 club option is included. In that sense, Wright passes Johan Santana's $137.5MM deal from February 2008.

• Markus (11/30/2012)

The Mets and David Wright have agreed to the largest contract in franchise history, according to WFAN's Ed Coleman. Coleman says it's seven years and $122MM in new money, which can be considered an eight-year, $138MM deal if the value of Wright's previously-exercised 2013 club option is included. In that sense, Wright passes Johan Santana's $137.5MM deal from February 2008.

I found this to be interesting.

So, no star player has ever spent his entire career with the Mets. Of course, when I read the headline, my first thought was Ed Kranepool, then realized that the operative word was "star."

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Ray K (11/30/2012)

Markus (11/30/2012)

The Mets and David Wright have agreed to the largest contract in franchise history, according to WFAN's Ed Coleman. Coleman says it's seven years and $122MM in new money, which can be considered an eight-year, $138MM deal if the value of Wright's previously-exercised 2013 club option is included. In that sense, Wright passes Johan Santana's $137.5MM deal from February 2008.

I found this to be interesting.

So, no star player has ever spent his entire career with the Mets. Of course, when I read the headline, my first thought was Ed Kranepool, then realized that the operative word was "star."

Odd... I never knew that..

• So we were just talking about long contract deals of 10 years and the risk that comes along with it. Injuries and diminishing level of skill. Alex Rodriguez is to undergo hip surgery again (other hip) and should be out until at least June. With 5 years left on his contract NY is really stuck with him now. They're already pointing to his hip as the cause for his lackluster performance. We shall see.

Looks like the Dodgers are interested in Dickey if the Greinke deal doesn't go through.

And my Red Sox signed Mike Napoli from Texas for 3yr/39mil. I'm not sure how I feel about that. His numbers last year were decent, not great like his 2011 season. And he's got a lot to live up to when he's trying to replace Adrian Gonzales.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• A good reason why I don't like guaranteed contracts. I think there ought to be a reduction of the contract for injury, even in season, and a club option to void the contract or just not pay for any suspension or non-performance related to off the field issues.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/4/2012)

A good reason why I don't like guaranteed contracts. I think there ought to be a reduction of the contract for injury, even in season, and a club option to void the contract or just not pay for any suspension or non-performance related to off the field issues.

Thing is, all those points will be covered in a contract to begin with. The players negotiate their guarantees and the clubs agree. If a GM said "no play, no pay, even for injury", the players would either walk away, or demand a much higher amount.

I'll agree that owners increase their risk with guaranteed contracts, but that's what they decide they have to do to get the services of the top talent.

BTW, I'd be surprised if any players get paid when suspended. Even though the CBA required the Giants to give Melky a World Series share since he was eligible for the post-season, he was NOT paid his salary while suspended.

• oh man! The Yankees looking to Youklis to play at third base? 1/12mil.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• calvo (12/6/2012)

oh man! The Yankees looking to Youklis to play at third base? 1/12mil.

Yep, he'd be the latest in the long history of players switching sides in the BOS-NYY rivalry -- Ruth, Tiant, Boggs, Clemens, Damon, etc.

• Being a Red's fan I am quite happy the Red's acquired a true lead off hitter:

8:12pm: The Diamondbacks announced that they have acquired shortstop Didi Gregorius, left-handed pitcher Tony Sipp, and first baseman Lars Anderson from the Indians in exchange for right-handed pitchers Trevor Bauer, Matt Albers and Bryan Shaw. The Reds are receiving Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald in the swap. The Indians will send the Reds approximately $3.5MM to account for the differences in projected salaries between Choo and Stubbs, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports

Also:

The Yankees will sign Ichiro Suzuki, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports and Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com report

• Markus (12/12/2012)

Being a Red's fan I am quite happy the Red's acquired a true lead off hitter:

8:12pm: The Diamondbacks announced that they have acquired shortstop Didi Gregorius, left-handed pitcher Tony Sipp, and first baseman Lars Anderson from the Indians in exchange for right-handed pitchers Trevor Bauer, Matt Albers and Bryan Shaw. The Reds are receiving Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald in the swap. The Indians will send the Reds approximately $3.5MM to account for the differences in projected salaries between Choo and Stubbs, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports

Also:

The Yankees will sign Ichiro Suzuki, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports and Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com report

As a Korean-American, am glad to see Shin-Soo Choo succeeding in the majors!

As a Yankee fan, am glad to see Ichiro and Youkilis signed!

• Looks like the Angels have landed Hamilton.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,171 through 1,185 (of 1,967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply