Talking baseball

• Ray K (12/13/2012)

Looks like the Angels have landed Hamilton.

WOW.... The pressure will certainly be on the Angles to win 95+ games and a World Series. Anything less than that will be a disappointment.

• How do the MBL teams manage to play more than 95 games in a season? We down here (fourth league) play a measle 16 of them, and the Majors play 28 games if I'm not mistaken. Plus Plate Cup etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (12/17/2012)

How do the MBL teams manage to play more than 95 games in a season? We down here (fourth league) play a measle 16 of them, and the Majors play 28 games if I'm not mistaken. Plus Plate Cup etc.

MLB teams have 81 games at home and 81 on the road and play a total of 162 games. From the beginning of April until October.

• Wow, not for me, thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Damn -- looks like the Toronto Blue Jays are serious about making some noise in the AL East this upcoming season!!!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• That is if RA Dickey can come close to doing what he did in 2012. I guess one could say the Mets don't feel like he can and are willing to trade him when his stock is high.

• Nice little writeup on Don Mattingly, who was my favorite player when I was in high school, regarding his Cooperstown chances . . .

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Ray K (12/19/2012)

Nice little writeup on Don Mattingly, who was my favorite player when I was in high school, regarding his Cooperstown chances . . .

If you didn't see him play and you just look at his numbers (2153 hits and 222 Home Runs) it doesn't look like he will get in.

• Best wishes, Godzilla, on your retirement!!!

Granted, he probably won't be enshrined in Cooperstown, but he'll always be considered a Yankee legend!

• Always liked him. He's had a heck of a career. I wonder what his career would be like if he'd played it all in the MLB.

• Cubs Sign Edwin Jackson

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 2 at 11:55am CST]

The Cubs have officially signed Edwin Jackson, the team announced. It's a four-year contract worth $52MM, and it does not include a no-trade clause. Jackson is a Legacy Sports Group client

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indians To Sign Brett Myers

By Zach Links [January 2 at 8:25am CST]

WEDNESDAY: Myers' deal is worth $7MM, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter).

TUESDAY: The Indians are set to sign Brett Myers to a one-year deal with a club option, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (on Twitter). The right-hander is represented by LSW Baseball.

• So, nobody is elected to Cooperstown (at least by the BBWAA).

I understand the sentiments against the suspected steroid users (personally, I can go either way on them), but I think it's a crime that Tim Raines didn't get elected. I also think Edgar Martinez should be in, even though he spent most of his career as a DH.

Any others?

• Craig Biggio belongs.

He was for his time my favorite non-Giant to watch. A catcher who could run, he made the All-star team at that position in 1991. And when the Astros convinced him to move to second base to save his legs from the added wear of catching, he ended up on the All-star team again the next year at that new position. It used to be a given that a guy like Biggio who had over 3000 career hits was an automatic Hall of Famer.

Craig Biggio belongs.

• It's stupid. Bonds belongs, whether you like him or not, whether you think he did steriods. He was an amazing player in Pitt, and came over to be an HOF worthy player in SF, well before he began to dominate the HR numbers.

Biggio, I think should be there, Martinez, probably. Not sure who else was on the ballot, but I think lots of those writers aren't really voting on incredible careers, but with emotions.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/9/2013)

It's stupid. Bonds belongs, whether you like him or not, whether you think he did steriods. He was an amazing player in Pitt, and came over to be an HOF worthy player in SF, well before he began to dominate the HR numbers.

Biggio, I think should be there, Martinez, probably. Not sure who else was on the ballot, but I think lots of those writers aren't really voting on incredible careers, but with emotions.

All of these will be dwarfed next year, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Frank Thomas will be eligible.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,186 through 1,200 (of 1,967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply