The Future of Bits

• jcrawf02 (10/16/2009)

acarlson, where do you work?

Geographically in Tulsa OK.

Company is Datacom. [/url] One of our datacenters is in a building a few hundred yards from the stable/arena that my office happens to be in.

• Computer Security protocol for sale to the highest bidder, I got something very disturbing this morning an organization as respectable as the National Institute of standards is looking into security automation protocol. I know a lot about actual implementation on the Microsoft platform so somebody is smoking something funny in Washington for Security hardware vendors to get the US government to even consider something that cannot be implemented.

I you think security can be automated there is a bridge in Brooklyn with your name on it.

http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/PubsSPs.html

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• For the poll, let's ignore simple jobs like restaurants, landscapers, etc. There will always be people doing those jobs. Let's instead focus on careers for people. Will they be digital or physical

There seems to be a little dragon-barring going on here. Leavened with a little patronising. Simple jobs, not careers, ay? I must remember to ask my landscaper friend how her simple job is going. (Must also remember to duck)

• Apologies, maybe a little patronizing. Nothing wrong with those jobs, but for the most part those aren't skilled jobs. Anyone can do them, and that's usually why the pay is low. Not that they're easy, or not important, or not worth it. Just that they're unskilled.

There may be higher-end folks in those jobs, but I was more implying that they're service oriented, not working with building something.

• Let's instead focus on careers for people. Will they be digital or physical?

Simple response: What earns more money? If there become so many programmers and the job becomes simpler or easier, the pay scale will decline and people will choose other fields. You may have a degree in biotech but if football makes you more money, you play football.

Conversely supply and demand may create more opportunity to earn money creating mobile apps, thus generating more need for programmers, causing less athletic people to pursue programming vs medical fields that are increasingly more regulated and earning less money.

Verbose response:

I think this is an interesting question. Being a programmer by trade (and career) I tend to fuss about definition.

To help understand the question, would using a computer or handheld electronic device be considered working with an object? Or are we talking about using a digital tool vs an analog tool to perform a task? (building a car with a robot instead of Snap-On, typing on a keyboard vs writing on paper)

I currently work with OOP on a daily basis. Design patterns dictate things like loose coupling and abstraction layers. I think tools in general are a way of using OOP principles, in particular abstraction. ( how many people use the power of inheritance on a cordless drill when changing bits? (is a screw gun, is a drill, is a hole saw etc )

Also, perhaps we could go further and describe working with typed objects (a paper map:: foldable paper as value type, inked representation of roadways as reference type) vs generics (google map on browser page:: as mobile web page)

So that being said, will more people use a digital interface for working with objects than do not? Or are we asking how many more people will strictly work with CREATING the interface vs a concrete implementation of the object?

I think what may shed more light, is the example of the advertisement for an iPhone. "There's an app for that."

Mobile phones started as a way to wirelessly make a voice call. Now, it can be a media player, personal planner and calander, newspaper, email, SMS, calculator, fart noise generator and so on. While in the old days you had a phone manufacturer and a carrier, now you have thousands of individuals and teams building "bits". All to create or enhance functionality with that device. Formerly, you had one company providing a device (an object) and another providing a service. Now you have thousands of companies providing services to that one device increasing the number of people producing bits.

Basic human needs must be satisfied with concrete objects. (Digital food == bad idea) There is also a threshold of how many people will choose to work with bits vs be a veterinarian or build houses. Ultimately, people want to be consumers, so whatever is a good means for achieving that goal will dictate the number of people pursuing that as a career choice.

• acarlson-861483 (10/19/2009)

Let's instead focus on careers for people. Will they be digital or physical?

I think what may shed more light, is the example of the advertisement for an iPhone. "There's an app for that."

Mobile phones started as a way to wirelessly make a voice call. Now, it can be a media player, personal planner and calander, newspaper, email, SMS, calculator, fart noise generator and so on.

Who'd pay for that? I can do that without any money at all.....:-P

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (10/19/2009)

I am constantly amazed by what people will buy or buy into. The movie "Idiocracy" does a great job highlighting that. LOL (now wear did I put my "ow! my balls!" t-shirt?)

• acarlson-861483 (10/19/2009)

jcrawf02 (10/19/2009)

I am constantly amazed by what people will buy or buy into. The movie "Idiocracy" does a great job highlighting that. LOL (now wear did I put my "ow! my balls!" t-shirt?)

Electrolytes are what plants want!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Bits or real-world objects - will it be either? Can we be sure that there won't be another big shift like the one that took place between 1950 and 2000? Has it already started, even?

We will always have skilled people (craftsmen, engineers, scientists) working with real-world objects, whether they be horses or pies or gardens or engineds or computers. Incidentally Steve, anyone who thinks that landscaping is an unskilled job probably doesn't know what that job is; and I suspect that a good chef earns easily as much as the combined earnnings of the top 10 earners amongst contributors to this forum, probably a good deal more, so if you count that as unskilled labour the pay scale is pretty remarkable. We will probably always have skilled people working with things constructed from bits in the virtual worlds provided by digital computers, although that is rather less certain than that real-world objects will continue to be used. But unless the inventiveness and adventurousness that has existed in humanity since the industrial revolution dries up there will be other things too, although right now I have no idea what. Maybe the ongoing absence of any off-earth permanent habitats (and the apparent absence of any effor to establish such) 52 years after Sputnik 1 is an indication that this drying up has already started?

On a more pessimistic note: We will also always have financial "leaders" shuffling money (whether that is shuffling real cowrie shells / gold bars /bank notes or bits in a computer network) and causing economic crises through their stupidity, greed and incompetence;national "leaders" playing a major part in our governments and leading us into crisis after crisis and war after war; spiritual "leaders" who preach that the greatest spiritual gift of all is willingness to kill and maim anyone and everyone who disagrees with one jot of their dogma; and political "leaders" who embrace discredited dogmas like Fascism and Marxism and the Divine Right of Kings and want to repeat the horrors of Hitler and Stalin and Henry VIII; and all the other parasites that form the majority of "the establishment". Does what these people do (manipulating and fleecing the masses) count as skilled work? If so maybe the most common things worked on by skilled people will eventually be neither real world objects nor digital objects but propaganda and frauds. Sometimes I despair and think it really will be so (but usually I'm more optimistic).

Tom

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply