The Standard Edition Wish List

• Re your post, SQL dev licensing under MSDN has all of the features of enterprise. I run partitioning and testing on a pro workstation which I used to justify the upgrade to enterprise licensing by getting a 50* performance increase in one table.

Worth checking the license agreements if QA is considered non-prod and can be done under MSDN licensing. I think MSDN is just restricted from productive use.

• Craig Farrell (4/8/2011)

I'm with the others, partitioning. Primarily because I'd like to be able to test my partitions in dev/qa BEFORE it wanders up to production, and a lot of shops only splurge on the enterprise when it gets to prod.

Craig, you should be able to use the developer edition on these servers. Just can't use it in production.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• I would really like to be able to use the OLEDB for DB2 driver on a Standard box.

• Data-driven Subscriptions for Reporting Services

• Would like to see compression in Standard edition.

• I would love to see "high performance" asynchronous Mirroring in Standard.

• online reindexing

• Fuzzy lookups in SSIS

• Besides what others have said I'd add database snap shots to the list.

Someone mentioned compressed backups, this was added to standard edition for SQL Server 2008 R2. I was very happy about this one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• PowerPivot

• WayneS (4/8/2011)

Craig Farrell (4/8/2011)

I'm with the others, partitioning. Primarily because I'd like to be able to test my partitions in dev/qa BEFORE it wanders up to production, and a lot of shops only splurge on the enterprise when it gets to prod.

Craig, you should be able to use the developer edition on these servers. Just can't use it in production.

Yeah, I know, but most coding I do is on the shared dev/qa boxes which run standard, not my local sandbox.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• STD edition is used in many production evnvironment, SQL Audit would be most welcomed.

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/7/2011)

Online reindex

+Infinity

• I would like to see the Visual Studio Debugging add-in in the Standard Edition. I find it immensely helpful to be able to step through the stored procedure as well as the .net code.

• Online reindex

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply