The Stubborn DBA

• Evil Kraig F (1/11/2012)

To toss in an "It Depends"...

...you have to keep the time to solution in perspective. .... There's a balance though. Sometimes I'll take a problem home with me and work it in my own time, trying to get down to the nuts and bolts after slapping the band-aids on at work. .

If I have to take a problem home and spend my own personal time on it (which I have done in the past myself) to offset the time spent at work to figure it out, I don't really call that a "balance". I call that an "offset", because to solve the issue I am working on my own dime for free for the company to figure it out. Not to say that there is anything wrong with that per-say. It's a individual choice, and I know many people who have done it. I just don't happen to think that is a "balance" though. 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (1/11/2012)

Evil Kraig F (1/11/2012)

To toss in an "It Depends"...

...you have to keep the time to solution in perspective. .... There's a balance though. Sometimes I'll take a problem home with me and work it in my own time, trying to get down to the nuts and bolts after slapping the band-aids on at work. .

If I have to take a problem home and spend my own personal time on it (which I have done in the past myself) to offset the time spent at work to figure it out, I don't really call that a "balance". I call that an "offset", because to solve the issue I am working on my own dime for free for the company to figure it out. Not to say that there is anything wrong with that per-say. It's a individual choice, and I know many people who have done it. I just don't happen to think that is a "balance" though. 😀

Apparently I was unclear. As far as the company is concerned, it's finished, we're moving on. *I* want to know, to heck with them. Their servers just happen to be where the problem is best defined.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• And what if, despite what your rational mind says, you can't even leave the problem alone when you're asleep?

Yes, it happens to me sometimes. I once wrote a blog-post on the subject 'I could do it in my sleep' ( http://www.simple-talk.com/community/blogs/philfactor/archive/2006/02/23/Somnia.aspx )

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• Phil Factor (1/11/2012)

And what if, despite what your rational mind says, you can't even leave the problem alone when you're asleep?

Yes, it happens to me sometimes. I once wrote a blog-post on the subject 'I could do it in my sleep' ( http://www.simple-talk.com/community/blogs/philfactor/archive/2006/02/23/Somnia.aspx )

Drink more. Kamakaze's made with Belvedere are a personal preference. 😛

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Phil Factor (1/11/2012)

And what if, despite what your rational mind says, you can't even leave the problem alone when you're asleep?

What a great idea! I have to try that, just to be on the safe side tonight. 😉

Phil Factor (1/11/2012)

Don't laugh, alcoholism is rampant in this business.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• Phil Factor (1/11/2012)

I've had T-SQL dreams. Usually means not enough vitamin B1 in my diet, but it does happen when I'm frustrated by a particularly vexing problem as well.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply