Update Query and Joins in EM vs. Query Analyser

• quote:

having to key in all the column names. Call me lazy! [:)

Don't key them, use the object browser to drag them over - taking the columns folder gives you all the columns in one drag 🙂

• Good point, but what I'm trying to get across here is that to build the joins in a visual environment eliminates amiguity/syntax issues. Like we mentioned before, visually design and then modify.

All the best,

Dale

• For example, let's say for a simple SELECT query, I can whip out a query with 20 columns in 20 clicks (20 seconds) without keying in a single word in EM. However, to produce that same query in QA (even with dragging the column names from the Object Browser), it takes me one to five minutes and I may still end up with typo errors.

All the best,

Dale

Edited by - DALEC on 07/25/2003 09:44:28 AM

• OK. Wait a minute! I must clear something up. I said that Frank was a Cyber Geek and really don't want him to think that's a bad compliment. He is from Germany and sometimes the translator doesn't do well for slang. My personal definition of a Cyber Geek is someone who is on the computer/Internet, has social skills, and is highly intelligent and adept at programming, etc.

Anyway, I found this definition but don't really agree with it so my apoligies to Frank if it got screwed up in the translation:

quote:

A geek is someone who spends time being "social" on a computer.

I for one know that Frank does NOT spend all his time being social. He is crazy to learn and shares all his knowledge. However, he is a social guy and I respect that. I have a hard time relating to computer nerds who only speak in 1's and 0's.

So anyway, Frank, I consider you to be more of a "chiphead", but one with social skills and a life, which means:

quote:

"a computer freak who eats, drinks and breathes computers, the Internet, e-mail, CD-ROMs, etc. but is interested in little else"

P.S. If it makes you feel any better, my husband thinks I'm a "chiphead" too.

All the best,

Dale

Edited by - dalec on 07/25/2003 3:23:26 PM

• Hi Dale,

quote:

OK. Wait a minute! I must clear something up. I said that Frank was a Cyber Geek and really don't want him to think that's a bad compliment. He is from Germany and sometimes the translator doesn't do well for slang. My personal definition of a Cyber Geek is someone who is on the computer/Internet, has social skills, and is highly intelligent and adept at programming, etc.

Anyway, I found this definition but don't really agree with it so my apoligies to Frank if it got screwed up in the translation:

quote:

A geek is someone who spends time being "social" on a computer.

thanks for being that kind!

Indeed, I wasn't sure, how to translate 'Cyber Geek'.

What came to my mind, along with the messy workplace you've mentioned and my known addiction to C++, is the typical image of a C++ programmer. You know, that kind of guy from Jurassic Park I (hope, you know who, the one who tried to steal the DNA).

quote:

I for one know that Frank does NOT spend all his time being social. He is crazy to learn and shares all his knowledge. However, he is a social guy and I respect that. I have a hard time relating to computer nerds who only speak in 1's and 0's.

I think there is somehow a certain natural mismatch with being an asset manager and being a social being. How would you call someone buying stock of some oil- or energy multis, and knowing what they are doing to the environment or social development in those really poor african countries? Knowing that this money could be invested more 'social', I believe to a certain point it's the best trading decision for the community of insured people who expect me to serve their needs first.

quote:

So anyway, Frank, I consider you to be more of a "chiphead", but one with social skills and a life, which means:

quote:

"a computer freak who eats, drinks and breathes computers, the Internet, e-mail, CD-ROMs, etc. but is interested in little else"

I would say, you've scored 8 out of 10.

I love my family, spending time with my firstborn son (looking forward for the time, the second one can participate), having friends around, enjoy good food and good wine, playing parlor ?!? games, reading good books (you know, the ones really worth reading are little). But apart from this, there isn't much more but computers. I don't like watching TV, I don't like football, formula one...

I don't care for expensive cars (except for Ford Excursion or Dodge Viper ).

I am registered member of numerous forums or mailing lists, but this one is the only one I take actively part in. I don't know exactly why, but it's really fun and it's getting bigger!

quote:

P.S. If it makes you feel any better, my husband thinks I'm a "chiphead" too.

it does!

Hey, no harm taken!

Even brokers can be funny, in their own way. The one below I received from my derivatives broker some time ago. Not that easy to follow, but I hope understandable.

Enjoy!

A year from now !

Police used tear gas and batons to break up a mob of angry unemployed

stockbrokers in the heart of the financial district as the FTSE100 slumped

through the 500 mark to finish at 497.2. The brokers were demonstrating

outside of the Stock Exchange building, demanding an audience with the

recently elected chairman, James Fleming. When he failed to appear, the

brokers began attacking the building and security staff with briefcases and

what appeared to be rolled up social security forms.

With unemployment in the financial services industry hovering at nearly

90%, the Government has ordered an inquiry into whether it is

feasible to permanently retrain the growing army of brokers and other

fallouts from the financial services industry. "It is very difficult

though," said a spokesman. "It does not appear that they have any useful

skills * legal ones anyway - which may be redirected to more productive

pursuits."

Brokers have become increasingly desperate as the equity market continues

to slide and the war in Iraq enters its ninth month with little sign that US

forces are making any progress. There was a brief 5-point rally in the

market yesterday on news that Saddam Hussein had been captured, but it

men and 2 women who bear a striking resemblance to the Iraqi dictator,"

Colonel T.J. Muskrat of the 98th Rangers told a press briefing in Baghdad.

The oil price continues to hover at $US60/barrel as motorists began to

adjust to the second week of petrol rationing. Commuters have also praised

the introduction of rat-powered treadmills to tube trains. Meanwhile, many

online employment web sites were inundated yesterday on news that Merrill

Morgan Suisse Warburg Barney, one of the three remaining brokerages, was

planning to advertise for a receptionist's assistant. Bill Pettigrew at

Seekjob.com said brokers swamped his site and forced it off line for an

hour. MMSWB later denied the rumour, and said they intended to continue

with their recently announced program of staff cuts.

Anthony Pope, a former client adviser at ABNAmroMorgans, said the news perked him up even though I knew it couldn't be true. Yesterday's tentative market rally soon petered out and the market closed near its lows.

An LSE spokesman said the reduced trading hours (10.00-10.30am) appeared to

be working well. The Nikkei descended below 100 for the second time in a

fortnight, and the Bank of Japan was again the main buyer of stocks. It

issued another 725 trillion yen of government bonds, with a coupon of 0.00003% per annum and maturing when the sun finally sets on the Japanese empire.

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply