Want to create a Log Shipping

• I want to make it standby/readonly as secondary server is just for reporting purposes

• Well, firstly log shipping is not the best solution for a purely reporting secondary. IMHO replication would be better. Log shipping it primarily a DR solution that can be used for reporting, but it's not ideal for reporting.

If you insist on log shipping for a reporting server, then the log shipping secondary needs to be exactly the same version as the primary server. You're trying to set up log shipping with the secondary server running a more recent version of SQL Server.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • You have a point here, The Reporting Server I have is 2008R2 and Primary is 2008

• If you insist on using log shipping, they have to be the same version. Again though, log shipping is not the best solution if all you want is a reporting server. Log shipping is mainly a DR solution (disaster recovery)

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• What is the better way for me you suggest, data mirroring or replication, where I can get the best knowledge for replication please

• Database mirroring is a DR technology that can also be used for reporting. Again, it's great if the primary requirement is DR and reporting is secondary.

As I said earlier, if the primary requirement is reporting, I would go replication. Transactional replication. Lots of good info in Books online, more than enough to get you started.

Gail Shaw

• Also, mirroring would require both instances be the same version of SQL Server as well.

• Thanks I will do that,

• dsohal (4/18/2012)

Thanks I will do that,

Do what? From what I have read in this thread it looks to me that replication is the best choice for what you are trying to accomplish.

• Thanks

• Lynn Pettis (4/18/2012)

Also, mirroring would require both instances be the same version of SQL Server as well.

No it doesn't.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (4/18/2012)

Lynn Pettis (4/18/2012)

Also, mirroring would require both instances be the same version of SQL Server as well.

No it doesn't.

Except for doing an upgrade a mirror needs to have the version of SQL Server. Can't mirror a database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008.

Not sure about between different editions, other than Express can only be used as a witness.

• I will have the same version, I will upgrade them to SQL 2008 R2

• Lynn Pettis (4/18/2012)

GilaMonster (4/18/2012)

Lynn Pettis (4/18/2012)

No it doesn't.

Except for doing an upgrade a mirror needs to have the version of SQL Server. Can't mirror a database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008.

Actually, you can. It's only supported during an upgrade scenario and the GUI may throw errors, but it is possible to set up a mirror from 2005 to 2008. Once it fails over mirroring is suspended and it will never fail back. It's a stupid thing to do unless for a rolling upgrade, but it is possible.

Same with between editions. Possible via T-SQL, but not supported and a stupid thing to do no matter what.

Gail Shaw

• dsohal (4/18/2012)

I will have the same version, I will upgrade them to SQL 2008 R2

Still, for reporting look at replication.

Both mirroring and log shipping are DR techniques that can secondarily serve as reporting setups. For a straightforward reporting server with no DR requirements, replication is probably the best.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply