Want to create a Log Shipping

• GilaMonster (4/18/2012)

Database mirroring is a DR technology that can also be used for reporting

Assuming your installed SQL version on the secondary instance allows snapshots of the mirror. Even then these can be hrs to maintain or the in experienced.

Given the OPs level of experience I would stick with log shipping as the secondary reporting database, its a lot easier to setup and maintain. It also depends how often the database is to be updated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• GilaMonster (4/18/2012)

Lynn Pettis (4/18/2012)

GilaMonster (4/18/2012)

Lynn Pettis (4/18/2012)

Also, mirroring would require both instances be the same version of SQL Server as well.

No it doesn't.

Except for doing an upgrade a mirror needs to have the version of SQL Server. Can't mirror a database from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008.

Actually, you can. It's only supported during an upgrade scenario and the GUI may throw errors, but it is possible to set up a mirror from 2005 to 2008. Once it fails over mirroring is suspended and it will never fail back. It's a stupid thing to do unless for a rolling upgrade, but it is possible.

Same with between editions. Possible via T-SQL, but not supported and a stupid thing to do no matter what.

Okay, it's a stupid thing to do and could be done using t-sql. But essentially, to do it right, you need the same versions of SQL Server for the Principal, Mirror, and Witness servers.

And yes, as I mentioned above, it can be done during an upgrade.

I'm sorry, but am I missing something here?

• i would always prefer the same versions but when it comes to editions, if all my witness was going to was act as a witness i'd use express edition 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• My Qusetion:

All our databases are in Simple Mode, we do not use transaction logs for recovery purposes, there is one database we have created the log shipping for, secondary server in that scenerio is Reporting Server,

What you think is best for us, we are thinking for DR here,

Replication, Mirroring,

Regards,

D

• dsohal (4/19/2012)

My Qusetion:

All our databases are in Simple Mode, we do not use transaction logs for recovery purposes, there is one database we have created the log shipping for, secondary server in that scenerio is Reporting Server,

What you think is best for us, we are thinking for DR here,

Replication, Mirroring,

Regards,

D

Not sure, but I can tell you that if you are using the simple recovery model, you can't use database mirroring. Database mirroring requires using the Full recovery model on the database.

• Disaster recover and simple recovery model don't usually go together...

Up to a day's data loss is acceptable but the server needs a hot standby in case of a disaster? That's an odd combo of requirements at best.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • The reason we have simple recovery is we do not use transaction log in case of recovery, we have the daily backup done on symantec

• So data loss of up to a full day is acceptable, but a hot standby server is needed in case of a disaster? As I said, that's a very weird combination of requirements.

Is a day's data loss acceptable? Note that DR is not a replacement for good backups in any way.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • We have one Servers for our customers and another one for Reporting,

We have one key database for our customers which gets updated, and we have a log shipping for that database, to our report server,

We use tape back up every night,

We are thinking for DR here for both servers,

My Qusetions:

If we replication do we need to extra servers and licensing,

Do these servers will have differnt name,

What I need to do if one main server fails,

• dsohal (4/19/2012)

If we replication do we need to extra servers and licensing,

No more than is required for your Log Shipping scenario

dsohal (4/19/2012)

Do these servers will have differnt name

Unless they're in separate domains, yes they will have different names.

dsohal (4/19/2012)

What I need to do if one main server fails,

Start typing your resume 😀

In the event of server failure you would need to bring the log shipping database online and reconfigure any applications to connect to the new database.

• one think i want to inform..you created store procedure...for log shhiping ... so you have parameter for backup file or restore from path...right. but you should not declare parameter with null ..

• one think i want to inform..you created store procedure...for log shhiping ... so you have parameter for backup file or restore from path...right. but you should not declare parameter with null ..

• say I am want to replicate tset data on server A as primary to Server B as reporting, where I need to configure replication please

• I want to confirm as below Query

1. For the DR setup best solution Database Mirroring & Log shipping

Does Log shipping is not reliability of data also both committed/uncommitted data transfer the secondary database server server? not required an another license for Reporting purpose?

Does Database Mirroring transfer data only committed transaction to secondary database server? also another separate license required for reporting purpose in snapshot database?

rgds

ananda

• I restored the database from primary server to the secondary, and enabled the log shipping, I am getting the below error,

Date,Source,Severity,Step ID,Server,Job Name,Step Name,Notifications,Message,Duration,Sql Severity,Sql Message ID,Operator Emailed,Operator Net sent,Operator Paged,Retries Attempted

04/25/2012 07:30:00,LSRestore_ISLCNSSQL_CnSx,Error,0,ISLRPTSQL,LSRestore_ISLCNSSQL_CnSx,(Job outcome),,The job failed. The Job was invoked by Schedule 156 (DefaultRestoreJobSchedule). The last step to run was step 1 (Log shipping restore log job step.).,00:00:15,0,0,,,,0

04/25/2012 07:30:00,LSRestore_ISLCNSSQL_CnSx,Error,1,ISLRPTSQL,LSRestore_ISLCNSSQL_CnSx,Log shipping restore log job step.,,Executed as user: ICS\sqlsrvr. The step failed.,00:00:15,0,0,,,,0

04/25/2012 07:30:00,LSRestore_ISLCNSSQL_CnSx,In Progress,1,ISLRPTSQL,LSRestore_ISLCNSSQL_CnSx,Log shipping restore log job step.,,2012-04-25 07:30:14.97 The restore operation completed with errors. Secondary ID: 'bfec352b-3f58-440f-b92f-3c90112d31d1'<nl/>2012-04-25 07:30:14.98 ----- END OF TRANSACTION LOG RESTORE -----<nl/><nl/>Exit Status: 1 (Error),00:00:15,0,0,,,,0

04/25/2012 07:30:00,LSRestore_ISLCNSSQL_CnSx,In Progress,1,ISLRPTSQL,LSRestore_ISLCNSSQL_CnSx,Log shipping restore log job step.,,2012-04-25 07:30:14.86 *** Error: The log backup file '\\islrptsql\log-ship-backups\CnSx_20120425013015.trn' was verified but could not be applied to secondary database 'CnSx'.(Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.LogShipping) ***<nl/>2012-04-25 07:30:14.87 Deleting old log backup files. Primary Database: 'CnSx',00:00:14,0,0,,,,0

04/25/2012 07:30:00,LSRestore_ISLCNSSQL_CnSx,In Progress,1,ISLRPTSQL,LSRestore_ISLCNSSQL_CnSx,Log shipping restore log job step.,,2012-04-25 07:30:14.78 *** Error: Could not apply log backup file '\\islrptsql\log-ship-backups\CnSx_20120425013015.trn' to secondary database 'CnSx'.(Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.LogShipping) ***<nl/>2012-04-25 07:30:14.78 *** Error: This backup set cannot be applied because it is on a recovery path that is inconsistent with the database. The recovery path is the sequence of data and log backups that have brought the database to a particular recovery point. Find a compatible backup to restore<c/> or restore the rest of the database to match a recovery point within this backup set<c/> which will restore the database to a different point in time. For more information about recovery paths<c/> see SQL Server Books Online.<nl/>RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally.(.Net SqlClient Data Provider) ***,00:00:14,0,0,,,,0

4/25/2012 07:30:00,LSRestore_ISLCNSSQL_CnSx,In Progress,1,ISLRPTSQL,LSRestore_ISLCNSSQL_CnSx,Log shipping restore log job step.,,Microsoft (R) SQL Server Log Shipping Agent<nl/>[Assembly Version = 10.0.0.0<c/> File Version = 10.50.1600.1 ((KJ_RTM).100402-1539 )]<nl/>Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.<nl/><nl/>2012-04-25 07:30:09.24 ----- START OF TRANSACTION LOG RESTORE -----,00:00:09,0,0,,,,0

The Log shipping was running successful for few runs,

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply