What am I ?!

• OK, so this is a bit of a long winded question… I work for a smallish company and my role has just gradually morphed from what I started as to what I do now.

At present I basically do the following:

Create SQL queries to fulfil data requests from colleagues and clients

Discussing new systems with colleagues and seeing where I can help or where I can pass things over to our developers

Provide user IT support to my colleagues (the printer is broken, I can’t get this to work etc)

Manage the backups of our data – that’s our file store, not the SQL data – my colleague who built the DB manages the SQL bacukps

When this was discussed formally at my last review, the title DBA was suggested, nothing was really decided as at that point it didn’t really have any consequences if my title was DBA or Father Christmas, however, now it really needs to be formalised for a few reasons…

So, does my description sound like a DBA, if not then what do I sound like!!

• Certainly some of what you do would indicate that you are a DBA, also some of what you do would suggest your a hardware technican, Others things suggest that you are network admin and finally some business analysis too.

As for a title, well a DBA can cover much of what you described, not all your tasks are 'pure' DBA tasks - but then how many DBA's are pure DBA's?

DBA's need to know alot about other areas too, BA, Network Admin, Hardware. its important for a DBA to have an understanding of all.

It seems to me that you wear many hats, so do alot of other dba's.

Gethyn Elliswww.gethynellis.com

• I suppose that's the small company side of things coming out - I was hired for a non technical analyst position many moons ago, then it just kinda snowballed!

• I'd go with Father Christmas as it sounds like you job is to bring hope, joy and the gift of working systems to the entire business. 😀

My 2p: I'd go for something like Systems Support Engineer (or Administrator or Technician).

Ade

A Freudian Slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
    For detail-enriched answers, ask detail-enriched questions...[/url]

• It sounds to me your job is a helpdesk technicians. However you have a chance to write SQL Scripts and touch some database stuff, that is a good sign.

• Do you have to have a title? Grand-High-Worshipful-Poobah-and-Support?

Seriously it sounds like you're the "IT Guy." I did that for a time. I wrote WordPerfect macros, designed databases, ran networks, punched in phone lines, programmed apps, updated desktops, provided tech support and training... When I decided to leave the job, I picked out the stuff I liked and glommed it together into a "developer" position.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I'd say perhaps take a look at how much of each you happen to do. There's often something you do more than others, so perhaps that should be your title. Of course - if you happen to take on a lot of responsibilities, then perhaps work out what title fits best into who would be taking on such tasks on a daily basis.

Last time I was in a position like that - they called me the MIS manager (with a staff of one including me, but hey - I managed a lot of things). DBA, System analyst/manager, O.D.A.A ("other duties as assigned", another one of my pseudo job descriptions), Support analyst, all could fit.

Of course - I suspect the "various reasons" you haven't specified might help to steer you in a specific direction.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• What are you? Skilled with a lot of intellectual curiosity and the propensity to be much more, I'd say.

I think you should pick whatever title you like. Application/Systems DBA sounds good on a resume...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (6/20/2008)

What are you? Skilled with a lot of intellectual curiosity and the propensity to be much more, I'd say.

I think you should pick whatever title you like. Application/Systems DBA sounds good on a resume...

*blushes*

I reckon I spend the vast majority of my time writing SQL queries for colleagues - which can vary from a simple 'All of X which meet criteria Y' - a v simple query, or an I want to see all X located in Y, with N number of contacts per X, with contacts ranked on A,B,C etc' -i.e. some take me a few seconds some take me days hehe.

The stuff I am most keen to dispose of is the user help / fixing printers etc.

For the record I was hired as an Analyst eons ago, that got morphed to an Analyst + Systems Administrator, then I moved to full time IT and the role of DBA was proposed, which I guess is what they would class me as now.

• Heh... just don't let it go to your head... One "Aw, crap" can wipe out a thousand "Atta-boys"... 😀

... except in my shop... if you don't make the occasional mistake, then I'm not pushing you hard enough. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• At this job the title doesn't much matter. However when you look for the next job, the title will matter.

Really you've got a couple titles. I'd talk about this with my boss and say when I go to leave, I'll probably submit different titles to different companies. There's no reason you couldn't look for a DBA job and say you were a DBA at this job. You do lots of what I did.

You could also look for a Windows admin job or tech job and use those titles. It's kind of a marketing thing for you to use your title to showcase your skills.

• Steve Jones - Editor (6/20/2008)

At this job the title doesn't much matter. However when you look for the next job, the title will matter.

Exactly, that's why I want to decide! (Also, as a slight aside, we are printing new business cards soon, so I may as well have something decent on them by then!)

I'm just concerned that I don't do enough 'nuts and bolts' under the hood stuff on SQL - I just use the client tools and thats about it - I don't do the backups, test restores etc

• Sounds like you are starting out how many of us started 🙂

I think my first title was Underwriter/Client Server Application Support.

• Anders Pedersen (6/23/2008)

Sounds like you are starting out how many of us started 🙂

My first title sounded a little more like "Hey YOU"....:D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (6/23/2008)

Anders Pedersen (6/23/2008)

Sounds like you are starting out how many of us started 🙂

My first title sounded a little more like "Hey YOU"....:D

Funny, that, was definitely my first title (good and no-so-good old days) !!!

* Noel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply