Which Versions of SQL Server Do You Have?

• Approximate numbers, but close enough.

Count Version

----- --------

5 7.00

160 2000

140 2005

40 2008

10 2008 R2

We have a number of 2005, 2008, and 2008 R2 servers with DTS support installed, and don't have any more problem with DTS on them than on 2000.

As for the large numbers of SQL 2000 servers:

If is isn't broke, and you can't get the developers or vendors to work on it anyway, don't fix it.

• We have 2000, 2005, 2008 R2 all running in production. The last instances of SQL 7.0 were turned off a couple of years ago.

• 1 each 2000, 2005, 2008 - mostly for reporting. We've been trying periodically to convert off the 2000 server for about six years, but each time the project got started it was put on hold because another "higher priority" project came along. We use DTS compatibility on 2005. Latest issue on the 2000 to 2005 conversion is an authorization / security problem with running scheduled tasks. (I don't know the details, since I'm not the one doing the conversion.)

Oh, and we don't actually have a DBA. Just a training CD for 2005, and Google.

Here there be dragons...,

Steph Brown

• I support half a dozen SQL Server 7.0, around 10 SQL Server 2000 instances, around 30 2005 instances and 30 2008 instances, about 5-10 2008 R2 and no Denali.

All in all about 500-ish databases.

---

Note to developers:
    CAST(SUBSTRING(CAST(FLOOR(NULLIF(ISNULL(COALESCE(1,NULL),NULL),NULL)) AS CHAR(1)),1,1) AS INT) == 1
    So why complicate your code AND MAKE MY JOB HARDER??!:crazy:

Want to get the best help? Click here https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/forum-etiquette-how-to-post-datacode-on-a-forum-to-get-the-best-help (Jeff Moden)
    My blog: http://uksqldba.blogspot.com
    Visit http://www.DerekColley.co.uk to find out more about me.

• 6 x 2005 EE

1 x 2008 R2 SE

30+ 2005 Express

1 x 2008 R2 Express

• I support over 35 SQL Server physical servers. These run one or more instance of SQL Server depending on the application. In most cases there is also a test database server, which means I really support approximately 60-70 actual SQL Server installations!

These range from 2008 R2 SP1 (just installed that on the first server!) through SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2000, SQL Server 7, SQL Server 6.5, MSDE, and SQL Server express (various versions). I also support (outside your question) a number of My SQL and Sybase installs as well. Fortunately I do not support Oracle, haven't messed with it in a few years. We also have at least 5 versions of that.

I work for a hospital. So we are unable to upgrade SQL Server until the vendor supports it. We typically do not upgrade a SQL Server install, rather we upgrade when we replace older hardware. I have done a few actual in place upgrades but not many.

Most of the older installs are for older products, but even our newest clinical and business products just recently supported SQL Server 2005. Our first Windows Server 2008 installs were done this year, with SQL Server 2008 R2 shortly after. We first started implementing SQL Server 2005 about 2 years ago. Clinical vendors are far, far behind in supporting these newer versions.

Dave

• Release Number of Instances

Rel 8 (2000) 5

Rel 9 (2005) 67

Rel 10 (2008) 58

Rel 10 (2008 R2) 42

For us, everything is dependent on the 3rd party vendors. We upgrade to the latest release ASAP. We also install the latest release we can.

• We still have one old vendor application that has been running on MSSQL 2000 (MSDE) forever. All other applications and everything that we have developed is using MSSQL 2008.

• Web Development house

Our main operations migrated have migrated from 2000 Enterprise to 2008R2 Enterprise.

Our development server is 2008 Enterprise.

Our largest client has a 2000 Enterprise installation that we maintain

We also have a non-web client that we DB work for occasionally. While their main software is compatible with 2008R2, their installations are for the most part using MSDE

Director of Transmogrification Services
  • SQL Versions, # of servers:

2000 - 17, a few outdated phone system and medical reporting apps.

2005 - 50, majority are 3rd party applications that don't support 2008 yet.

2008 - 5, Microsoft CRM and testing servers.

2008R2 - 3, Proof of Concept servers for testing 3rd Party app upgrades.

-jerimy

Fargo, MCITP DBA

• 1- Version 7 (Old telecom app)

6 - 2000

7 - 2005

6 - 2008

Largely vendor issues or old upsupported apps limit our abaility to upgrade.

Mike

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”...Robert McCloskey

• We have 44 internal database instances on SQL 2005, 39 on SQL 2008 and 7 on SQL 2008R2. Our clients are TEST and PROD servers that are a similar mix of SQL 2005, SQL 2008 and SQL 2008R2.

• CE (GAK!), a handful of Express, 1 2k, 2 (1 Dev, 1 Prod) 2k5 because of 3rd parties (it's a HUGE instance), and everything else has just recently been upgraded to 2k8R2.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• The oldest SQL version in use at my place is SQL 2005, but only to the end of November when these servers move to SQL 2008 R2.

I think we may still have some SQL 2008 instances, but virtualy everything is on SQL 2008 R2. SQL 2012 is on some development servers and will become our standard for all new instances after RTM next year.

It can sometimes be difficult to justify to management why we need to move today to a new version. However, we do have some examples where not moving forward has harmed our ability to take a business advantage from software only available on the new platform. The management memory of this means they generally see the business risk of not moving as being greater than the technical risk involved in a move, so there is a good appitite to take the latest software.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• gmmastros (10/21/2011)

I own a software company that has a niche product. A couple months ago, we released an update that requires SQL2005. Until then, we were compatible to SQL2000. We currently have 200 customers, each with an average of 5 DB's.

Our problem is that many customers own various versions of SQL server and we don't want to alienate any of them, so we try to be as backward compatible as possible. I have had customers tell me that they will not upgrade to a newer version of my software if it requires the newest version of SQL Server.

I can sympathise with that. In my last permanent job, none of our customers wanted to upgrade from SQL2000 , and I decided to skip 2005 and move directly to 2008 to delay addressing the problem (and allow each customer to do one SQL upgrade rather than two). The idea was to start shipping 2008-based product late 2009. I left before then, but I hope my successor and the marketing people had success in getting those intransigent customers to move forwards (because I have some shares in the company, which may or may not eventually be worth something). Perhaps the worst of it is that customers demand new features although they are not prepared to upgrade the platform software or the middleware (makes me almost sympathise with the MS decision not to put IE9 onto XP) to versions that would allow those new features to be implemented (even worse on client computers than on servers - imagine trying to make a WPF-based application work on XP-embedded).

Currently, I'm using SQL2008 R2 and nothing else; but no bets on what the next contract might be.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply