Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/25/2010)

I don't understand how he got any degree with the lack of desire/ability to look things up himself.

Damned if I know.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Kit G (5/25/2010)

Weather in Tampa has been in the 90s for the past week or so. Given the way it's going, I wouldn't be surprised if Florida melts away, I know I probably will!

Coldest winter in a long time and now a hot summer. Guess Florida is trying to appease both sides of the climate change issue. 😛

Have we met yet? I spoke at the Tampa User Group last year and at the Tampa SQLSaturday this year. I'm sorry if we have and I didn't remember and I'm sorry if we haven't and you were at either event.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/25/2010)

I don't understand how he got any degree with the lack of desire/ability to look things up himself.

It may just be a sense of entitlement. I used to be the manager of a team of DBAs in a former job. 2 of 4 of my DBAs had advanced degrees.

The one with the most impressive resume had 2 masters degrees, an MBA and Master in something IT related (I can't remember the specific degree). He also also had his mcse and mcdba. He was probably the most worthless DBA I've every worked with. He did things like restoring over the production databases on accident taking down our call center.

The other DBA with his masters was a bit more cautious but shared a common trait with the DBA. He felt entitled because he had the degree. He thought his job was to sit there and be a seat with a degree and not do the work.

When things got tight the 2 were the first out the door. The other 2 DBAs never complained about any project or work that would come their way. They just did their jobs and did them well. They did complain about the other 2 always trying to pawn off their work.

I will say this though...both of those 2 DBA with the masters knew how to work a search engine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• From http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic927200-338-1.aspx

lmu92 (5/25/2010)

I'm confused....

If you can't explain the benefits of the fine tuning we you did, then why there was a need for tuning in the first place?

😀 :hehe: :w00t: 😀

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (5/25/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (5/25/2010)

Damned if I know.

If you pay enough, I guess you can get just about anything... 😛

• I'd agree with you Trey, but this guy doesn't even seem to be able to work a search engine.

• Trey Staker (5/25/2010)

It may just be a sense of entitlement. I used to be the manager of a team of DBAs in a former job. 2 of 4 of my DBAs had advanced degrees.

The one with the most impressive resume had 2 masters degrees, an MBA and Master in something IT related (I can't remember the specific degree). He also also had his mcse and mcdba. He was probably the most worthless DBA I've every worked with. He did things like restoring over the production databases on accident taking down our call center.

The other DBA with his masters was a bit more cautious but shared a common trait with the DBA. He felt entitled because he had the degree. He thought his job was to sit there and be a seat with a degree and not do the work.

When things got tight the 2 were the first out the door. The other 2 DBAs never complained about any project or work that would come their way. They just did their jobs and did them well. They did complain about the other 2 always trying to pawn off their work.

I will say this though...both of those 2 DBA with the masters knew how to work a search engine.

Not all of us with Masters Degrees are like that... 😛

• Lynn Pettis (5/25/2010)

GilaMonster (5/25/2010)

Damned if I know.

If you pay enough, I guess you can get just about anything... 😛

Maybe "The Internet" (or SSC, to be specific) did a good portion of 'charity work' to get him where he is today - and even for free...

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Lynn Pettis (5/25/2010)

Trey Staker (5/25/2010)

Nor those of us working on Masters Degrees

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (5/25/2010)

Lynn Pettis (5/25/2010)

Trey Staker (5/25/2010)

Nor those of us working on Masters Degrees

Very true atleast for you too! I wasn't really knocking the degree, more the people with the degree that feel entitled. I've got 5 brothers all with masters degrees. Some of them are worth their degrees. 😛

This comes up a lot in the forums. It isn't the degree it's what you do with it that counts. More than the degree it's what you do with whatever you have (ie certs, education, experience, brainpower, creativity, etc) that counts.

I'm not the worlds greatest DBA, many of you run circles around me, but I'm really good at troubleshooting, problem solving and have freaking awesome nija skills with a search engine. :w00t::hehe::-P:-):cool:;-);-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Thinking back on it, the best, most creative IT people I have known, if they had degrees at all, had degrees in somehting other than IT. I used to work on a DBA team with a biologist and a cartographer. We did awesome projects and the business loved us. The common element for the good folks seems to be boundless curiosity about how things work.

My psych degree has simply provided opportunities for injecting humor into some situations: "I don't know why your update didn't work. Perhaps your data has trouble accepting change."

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• I have an engineering degree, but not in Computers. 🙂 Electronics and Telecommunication. I have done couple of certifications, but only one in the IT Technology. ES 9000 Mainframe computers..

Like Trey, I am good at trouble shooting and know how to use my common sense. But sound knowledge in SQL Server is what I lack.

We have lots of PM's and BA's here with degrees. But none has what we commonly call as common sense. I never knew that common sense was not so common.. 🙂 It is actually rare...:hehe:

-Roy

• Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

-- Victor Hugo

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Jack Corbett (5/25/2010)

Kit G (5/25/2010)

Weather in Tampa has been in the 90s for the past week or so. Given the way it's going, I wouldn't be surprised if Florida melts away, I know I probably will!

Coldest winter in a long time and now a hot summer. Guess Florida is trying to appease both sides of the climate change issue. 😛

Have we met yet? I spoke at the Tampa User Group last year and at the Tampa SQLSaturday this year. I'm sorry if we have and I didn't remember and I'm sorry if we haven't and you were at either event.

Nope, we haven't met yet. But I'm sure we can arrange something sometime. 😀

-- Kit

• David Webb-200187 (5/25/2010)

Thinking back on it, the best, most creative IT people I have known, if they had degrees at all, had degrees in somehting other than IT. I used to work on a DBA team with a biologist and a cartographer. We did awesome projects and the business loved us. The common element for the good folks seems to be boundless curiosity about how things work.

My psych degree has simply provided opportunities for injecting humor into some situations: "I don't know why your update didn't work. Perhaps your data has trouble accepting change."

I'm not sure it's the degree that matters, but more that you find people interested in many things. It's the wide range of interests and knowledge that I think make more interesting, and more creative people. I used to hate to have to take courses outside of my area when I started college, but I learned that those other areas did create a more well-rounded, more thoughtful person.

Viewing 15 posts - 15,466 through 15,480 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply