Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Roy Ernest (5/26/2010)

We have lots of PM's and BA's here with degrees. But none has what we commonly call as common sense. I never knew that common sense was not so common.. 🙂 It is actually rare...:hehe:

I have a theory about that....

God gives everyone so much "sense". Different people have different proportions between "intelligence", "common sense", and probably other types of "sense". When one has a high abundance of intelligence, all that extra "sense" that went there had to come from the other sources.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (5/26/2010)

Roy Ernest (5/26/2010)

We have lots of PM's and BA's here with degrees. But none has what we commonly call as common sense. I never knew that common sense was not so common.. 🙂 It is actually rare...:hehe:

God gives everyone so much "sense". Different people have different proportions between "intelligence", "common sense", and probably other types of "sense". When one has a high abundance of intelligence, all that extra "sense" that went there had to come from the other sources.

Wouldn't that make it a high amount of IntelliSense?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (5/26/2010)

WayneS (5/26/2010)

Roy Ernest (5/26/2010)

You hit it right on the dot . 😛

Chad

• CirquedeSQLeil (5/26/2010)

WayneS (5/26/2010)

Roy Ernest (5/26/2010)

LOL! Man, I wish I had thought of that.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (5/26/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (5/26/2010)

WayneS (5/26/2010)

Roy Ernest (5/26/2010)

LOL! Man, I wish I had thought of that.

For the record - not a fan of IntelliSense - it always thinks it knows which object I want and is wrong 90% of the time (both redgate and ms)

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I tend to agree with you on SQL Intellisense. I don't want it to figure out objects for me, especially with functions mixed in. For those of us that like short aliases, it's a PIA.

• Jason and Steve: turn it off then 😛

I love IntelliSense on the whole, and I really miss it when working with non-2008 servers. I think it's amazing it works at all with a language like T-SQL; though it is true one has to modify coding (typing) behaviour a little to get the best out of it.

I would not expect it to work as well with T-SQL as it does in Visual Studio, but it would be nice to see it work better with each version, service pack, and cumulative update.

It does bug me that it doesn't work with downstream servers because it was quite usable with 2005 up to CTP6 - I am still cross with Microsoft for disabling it.

The Red Gate product seems far superior, but I am not prepared to part with money 😎

Paul

• I find intellisense and its most annoying when putting together test code , ie where im quite happy for a column called 'A','B' or 'ID'. Can never remember to hit 'ESC' rather than space or column. Though ,even then ,i find it of limited use in production quality code.

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Dave Ballantyne (5/27/2010)

I find intellisense and its most annoying when putting together test code , ie where im quite happy for a column called 'A','B' or 'ID'. Can never remember to hit 'ESC' rather than space or column. Though ,even then ,i find it of limited use in production quality code.

I find getting into the habit of typing SELECT * FROM dbo.Table T helps. Going back and typing "T." over the star brings up the column names.

Always using an alias is a good habit to get into IMO.

• This, my dears, is telling it how it is.

• rjohal-500813 (5/27/2010)

This, my dears, is telling it how it is.

Paul should get to wear the halo for a day! Or, at the very least, an all-expenses paid trip to the desert - woohoo!

Edit - tan Q....TRULY lazy.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• After tons of frustrations today this one made my day

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/26/2010)

David Webb-200187 (5/25/2010)

Thinking back on it, the best, most creative IT people I have known, if they had degrees at all, had degrees in somehting other than IT. I used to work on a DBA team with a biologist and a cartographer. We did awesome projects and the business loved us. The common element for the good folks seems to be boundless curiosity about how things work.

My psych degree has simply provided opportunities for injecting humor into some situations: "I don't know why your update didn't work. Perhaps your data has trouble accepting change."

I'm not sure it's the degree that matters, but more that you find people interested in many things. It's the wide range of interests and knowledge that I think make more interesting, and more creative people. I used to hate to have to take courses outside of my area when I started college, but I learned that those other areas did create a more well-rounded, more thoughtful person.

They did? What happened to that guy? **Bazinga!** :hehe:

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Paul White NZ (5/27/2010)

Dave Ballantyne (5/27/2010)

I find intellisense and its most annoying when putting together test code , ie where im quite happy for a column called 'A','B' or 'ID'. Can never remember to hit 'ESC' rather than space or column. Though ,even then ,i find it of limited use in production quality code.

I find getting into the habit of typing SELECT * FROM dbo.Table T helps. Going back and typing "T." over the star brings up the column names.

Always using an alias is a good habit to get into IMO.

But you're using your snippet of ssf for SELECT * FROM, right? And tab to expand the columns? My laziness bone won't let me do more than that.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Paul White NZ (5/27/2010)

Jason and Steve: turn it off then 😛

I love IntelliSense on the whole, and I really miss it when working with non-2008 servers. I think it's amazing it works at all with a language like T-SQL; though it is true one has to modify coding (typing) behaviour a little to get the best out of it.

I would not expect it to work as well with T-SQL as it does in Visual Studio, but it would be nice to see it work better with each version, service pack, and cumulative update.

It does bug me that it doesn't work with downstream servers because it was quite usable with 2005 up to CTP6 - I am still cross with Microsoft for disabling it.

The Red Gate product seems far superior, but I am not prepared to part with money 😎

Paul

SQLPrompt is one of the few tools I'd spend money on. It also does layout of SQL as well so I can just hit a key combination when I take code from the forum and get it in what I consider a readable format.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Viewing 15 posts - 15,496 through 15,510 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply