Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jcrawf02 (5/27/2010)

Paul White NZ (5/27/2010)

Dave Ballantyne (5/27/2010)

I find intellisense and its most annoying when putting together test code , ie where im quite happy for a column called 'A','B' or 'ID'. Can never remember to hit 'ESC' rather than space or column. Though ,even then ,i find it of limited use in production quality code.

I find getting into the habit of typing SELECT * FROM dbo.Table T helps. Going back and typing "T." over the star brings up the column names.

Always using an alias is a good habit to get into IMO.

But you're using your snippet of ssf for SELECT * FROM, right? And tab to expand the columns? My laziness bone won't let me do more than that.

Tab to expand the columns, but i don't use the snippets and need to start. I'm too lazy to learn what the snippets are or to create my own.:w00t:

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• There were entirely too many times I type the same code or case statement to code some of the reports I work with. I now replace 5-10 lines of frequently used code with about 4 keystrokes. By far I'd say the snippets are my favorite feature, both those built in and the custom ones. The quick auto formatting really helps a lot as well.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Paul White NZ (5/27/2010)

The Red Gate product seems far superior, but I am not prepared to part with money 😎

Why not? Just curious. If it really helps you, is it not worth an investment?

BTW, I'm arguing for the devil here. I have been hesitant to spend my own $$ on tools at times in the past. However I have argued for them with my boss when they save time.

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/27/2010)

The Red Gate product seems far superior, but I am not prepared to part with money 😎

BTW, I'm arguing for the devil here. I have been hesitant to spend my own $$ on tools at times in the past. However I have argued for them with my boss when they save time.

Fair question - two reasons.

1. NZ$360 is a lot of money, especially when I find the built-in stuff at least adequate. (They are real dollars, from my own wallet)

2. I work on a lot of systems, so getting used to something really cool and handy (which SQLPrompt is) is just going to irritate me when it's not there. I have no choice about 2005 systems, but having three different typing modes depending on the environment does not appeal.

Now let's have a comment from someone reallllly impartial here (no offense :hehe: ).

You can get a 14 day trial to test out the product. That's how I got sucked into this product. But after 2 weeks I couldn't NOT use this product. I save at least 1 hour a day in formatting and finding the darn tables names / columns names and join condition.

Also if you can't part with a measly 200$ - 300$ for something that will help you make more money and better server your clients then you really need to have a financial advisor look at your finances because you need help NOW!

• jcrawf02 (5/27/2010)They did? What happened to that guy? **Bazinga!** :hehe:

Dead. The excitement killed him!

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (5/27/2010)

Also if you can't part with a measly 200$ - 300$ for something that will help you make more money and better server your clients then you really need to have a financial advisor look at your finances because you need help NOW!

Well unless it really upsets you, I'd like to decide where to spend those dollars 😛

Putting it towards an MSDN or TechNet subscription seems better value to me at the moment.

It just doesn't meet my personal bar for value-for-money.

• That's a fair response, Paul, and what I'd expect. I think the big issue is that the built in tool is good enough, even if it's not that great. And if you have something else worth spending the $$ on, I completely understand.

Having great typing skills and lots of snippets as well might alleviate the need as well.

Having great typing skills and lots of snippets as well might alleviate the need as well.

Well I'm a reasonable (code) typist, but to my shame I must admit I have never used a snippet! Will have to check into that since everyone keeps talking about it 🙂

If SQLPrompt were, say, around the NZ$100 mark I'd probably cave in too. I don't dare download the free trial for the same reasons Mr Ninja gave back there.

(If you ever want to run some sort of SSC competition with a copy of SQLPrompt as a prize, consider me in.)

• Strange, I usually felt that the built-in IntelliSense in SSMS (which I sometimes renamed to StupidiSense) was getting more in the way than helping me. Now that I have to work agains SQL 2005 machines again I'm actually missing it. Maybe I should really consider convincing the boss to spend a few $$ and buy us some SQLPrompt licenses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Paul White NZ (5/27/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (5/27/2010)

Well I'm a reasonable (code) typist, but to my shame I must admit I have never used a snippet! Will have to check into that since everyone keeps talking about it 🙂

If SQLPrompt were, say, around the NZ$100 mark I'd probably cave in too. I don't dare download the free trial for the same reasons Mr Ninja gave back there.

(If you ever want to run some sort of SSC competition with a copy of SQLPrompt as a prize, consider me in.)

They did that a few years back, I think it was when SQL PRompt 2.0 came out. Gave the top 50 or 100 posters a license, but hey who couldn't use an upgrade? 😉

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Jack Corbett (5/27/2010)

jcrawf02 (5/27/2010)

Dave Ballantyne (5/27/2010)

I find intellisense and its most annoying when putting together test code , ie where im quite happy for a column called 'A','B' or 'ID'. Can never remember to hit 'ESC' rather than space or column. Though ,even then ,i find it of limited use in production quality code.

I find getting into the habit of typing SELECT * FROM dbo.Table T helps. Going back and typing "T." over the star brings up the column names.

Always using an alias is a good habit to get into IMO.

But you're using your snippet of ssf for SELECT * FROM, right? And tab to expand the columns? My laziness bone won't let me do more than that.

Tab to expand the columns, but i don't use the snippets and need to start. I'm too lazy to learn what the snippets are or to create my own.:w00t:

Totally need to, it's lazy^n

I've even added in some simple stupid ones like ob for Order By, gb for Group By, etc, just to save keystrokes and help the prompting part work smoother. Also modified a couple to add spaces on the end, which then activates the next prompt.

And then there are the fun ones like neo or yell, which I actually find quite useful some days...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Luke L (5/27/2010)

They did that a few years back, I think it was when SQL PRompt 2.0 came out. Gave the top 50 or 100 posters a license, but hey who couldn't use an upgrade? 😉

Very interesting...:w00t:

• SQL Prompt's trial version was great. Got used to it very quickly and the 14-day expiration came too soon. Also, budgets for this year are exhausted but it's at the top of my list for next year (not that it means anything for approval purposes). Very similar to what I've seen in the Oracle world here. Never used IntelliSense but if it's similar in functionality, I can see where once you have it you miss it when you don't. Creatures of habit, we are.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• GilaMonster (5/26/2010)

Is it me, or is this week particularly bad in the 'bad questions' dept?

Gail, are you saying the posted questions are getting worse?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Viewing 15 posts - 15,511 through 15,525 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply