Are the posted questions getting worse?

• David Webb (2/19/2009)

Dear SQL Experts,

I am having problem with machinery controlled by SQL database. Rest of staff ran from room and supervisor shouted "You're in charge" as he shut outer blast door. This problem with reactor happen once in while. Old DBA had command he issued from DOS prompt to pirated copy of DB2 used to control coolant valve. COuld please give me syntax for update statement necessary to open valve? Please forgive not so good english. Difficult to concentrate with red phone ringing off hook.

Also, will melted wire give problems with connectivity?

ROTFLMAO!!

• David Webb (2/19/2009)

Dear SQL Experts,

I am having problem with machinery controlled by SQL database. Rest of staff ran from room and supervisor shouted "You're in charge" as he shut outer blast door. This problem with reactor happen once in while. Old DBA had command he issued from DOS prompt to pirated copy of DB2 used to control coolant valve. COuld please give me syntax for update statement necessary to open valve? Please forgive not so good english. Difficult to concentrate with red phone ringing off hook.

[font="Verdana"]See? This is what's wrong with the posters. Does he give us the version of DOS or DB2? No![/font]

• Notice now, still no reply to question asked last.

Backwards you have it. Expert you are. Game is for him to ask and you to answer.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• That's great. 😀

Fortunately I've worked at and been in a reactor so I'm not more nervous than I would otherwise be.

• Bruce W Cassidy (2/19/2009)

David Webb (2/19/2009)

Dear SQL Experts,

[font="Verdana"]See? This is what's wrong with the posters. Does he give us the version of DOS or DB2? No![/font]

Nor what version of SQL Server, heck, it could be SQL Server 6.5 and there aren't many around that still use it (I can think of one who visits this site).

• It all comes down to one thing: If only people would try to learn before doing. If they can't learn then maybe they should not do.

Well, maybe that's two things. (hard to count on my fingers while I'm typing.)

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Lynn Pettis (2/19/2009)

Nor what version of SQL Server, heck, it could be SQL Server 6.5 and there aren't many around that still use it (I can think of one who visits this site).

[font="Verdana"]No, the whole point is he's asking a DB2 question on a SQL Server forum (i.e. no version of SQL Server involved at all!) Which, if you ask me, is just downright scary. :P[/font]

• David Webb (2/19/2009)

Dear SQL Experts,

[font="Verdana"]... how about we spend 2 weeks having a discussion about the relative merits of DB2 versus SQL Server before we get around to providing an answer? 😎

And of course, we should recommend that he replace all of the wire with optic fibre and then get back to us.

[/font]

Lynn Pettis (2/19/2009)

[font="Verdana"]No, the whole point is he's asking a DB2 question on a SQL Server forum (i.e. no version of SQL Server involved at all!) Which, if you ask me, is just downright scary. :P[/font]

But the DB2 database may need to talk to the SQL Server database before it can open the coolant valve.

David Webb (2/19/2009)

Dear SQL Experts,

[font="Verdana"]... how about we spend 2 weeks having a discussion about the relative merits of DB2 versus SQL Server before we get around to providing an answer? 😎

And of course, we should recommend that he replace all of the wire with optic fibre and then get back to us.

[/font]

But if it gets hot enough, even fibre will melt.

• Go wireless

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (2/19/2009)

Go wireless

[font="Verdana"]Do we need to worry about security and intermittent failures?

Hmmm. Probably not. Yep, concur!

[/font]

• But you would have to worry about leaks

Alvin Ramard

• Alvin Ramard (2/19/2009)

But you would have to worry about leaks

[font="Verdana"]Isn't he already trying to open the valve?[/font]

• Crikey, it took me about 45mins to catch up with this thread.

I think that chap with the broken arm that worked for the white house (or was it a white room - padded) and whose cat got run over (okay, but just wait, it'll come) has just taken the lead for twit of the year. Gail's right, respect to those that entered and returned alive.

SSC appears to be a magical portal for some, along the lines of Deep Thought: "The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything is..." RTFM

Max

Viewing 15 posts - 1,576 through 1,590 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply