Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/1/2010)

What did I do?

I'm not renewed now. And perhaps I won't be if PASS gets to weigh in.

Did that blog post upset people? It shouldn't. Ah well.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (7/2/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (7/1/2010)

What did I do?

Because of the sudden change of topic? 😀

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Anybody seen Barry lately? Republication of his '15 ways to lose your cursors' (gonna be singing Simon & Garfunkel in my head all friggin day now) made me wonder?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (7/2/2010)

Anybody seen Barry lately? Republication of his '15 ways to lose your cursors' (gonna be singing Simon & Garfunkel in my head all friggin day now) made me wonder?

He posted in the Random Word thread earlier this week.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

What did I do?

Oh yeah, that post got under some people's skin. Some of the PASS folks don't like being criticized in public. That one really comes down to not knowing what to communicate when working with volunteers. It was clear Steve's understanding was that all the sessions the committee picked would be scheduled, but no one thought to communicate that there were other considerations that people up the chain needed to consider.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• CirquedeSQLeil (7/1/2010)

Alvin Ramard (7/1/2010)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/30/2010)

GabyYYZ (6/30/2010)

Happy Canada Day for all Canadians north of the 49th and in the diaspora!

Is it not Canada Day for Canadians in Canada south of the 49th?

It felt like a regular work day for me.

How y'all doin, eh?

Welcome back

Alvin was gone? 😀

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Jack Corbett (7/2/2010)

Grant Fritchey (7/2/2010)

What did I do?

Oh yeah, that post got under some people's skin. Some of the PASS folks don't like being criticized in public. That one really comes down to not knowing what to communicate when working with volunteers. It was clear Steve's understanding was that all the sessions the committee picked would be scheduled, but no one thought to communicate that there were other considerations that people up the chain needed to consider.

I think that's the fundamental problem when working with volunteers. Because they're volunteers, they're not employees. Employees can be treated like mushrooms (kept in the dark & fed... well, you know). Volunteers need to be treated one of two ways, simple little cogs in the machine (phone bank operators for a political campaign or NPR station) or partners in the enterprise. You can only treat them like cogs if you give them really simple, cog-like tasks. I know most of the tasks at PASS require partners, not cogs. The leadership there needs to realize it. Some of them do (naming names, I'd volunteer for Andy Warren any day of the week and twice on Sunday, although, I do volunteer for him with the Standard and I'm doing a lousy job, but that's my problem). Some of them don't (not naming names here, praise in public & all that).

Communication with your volunteers is vital to keeping them engaged. I've learned this the hard way working with Scouting organizations. Same rules apply with PASS.

I'm happy to read Steve's editorial. I've been thinking about putting together a pre/post con program. It's good to know that since I'm not one of the A-listers, even if I put together a good program, a good abstract and I get picked, I still probably won't make the cut because I'm not an A-lister. Saves me time & trouble.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• "I still probably won't make the cut because I'm not an A-lister."

Says who?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/1/2010)

What did I do?

Well, it DOES list you in it. Guess you're renewed, and you didn't know it!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (7/2/2010)

What did I do?

Well, it DOES list you in it. Guess you're renewed, and you didn't know it!

Steve gets renewed on the 1 Jan cycle 😎

• jcrawf02 (7/2/2010)

"I still probably won't make the cut because I'm not an A-lister."

Says who?

Look at who is doing those pre-cons. Adam, Paul, Kim, Kalen, Itzik... That's the A-List pretty much. Not only do they have the name recognition and draw, but they teach flipping Microsoft courses for crying out loud. I'm pretty happily settled into the B-List. Unless I change my employment to consulting so that I can jet around the country AND get a lot smarter, I'm going to stay there. That's fine. B-List is still in the club, but evidently it doesn't get you into the Champagne Room.

jcrawf02 (7/2/2010)

Says who?

Look at who is doing those pre-cons. Adam, Paul, Kim, Kalen, Itzik... That's the A-List pretty much. Not only do they have the name recognition and draw, but they teach flipping Microsoft courses for crying out loud. I'm pretty happily settled into the B-List. Unless I change my employment to consulting so that I can jet around the country AND get a lot smarter, I'm going to stay there. That's fine. B-List is still in the club, but evidently it doesn't get you into the Champagne Room.

Ah, but this is what the Regional event we are planning for the spring is for. To allow people to move up the recognition chain. Just having that discussion with Kendal, if the regional event gets the attendance we are hoping/planning then SQLSaturday speakers who are used to speaking to rooms of 20-50 will be in a room with 100+, there is definitely a difference.

I'd argue that you are on the B+ list and maybe A-list because you have spoken at the Summit multiple times, are an MVP, and have written multiple books, one of which should be on every SQL Server professional's bookshelf. Remember, the average SQL Server person doesn't know who most of the people you name are, anymore than they know who you are.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (7/2/2010)

Grant Fritchey (7/2/2010)

jcrawf02 (7/2/2010)

Says who?

Ah, but this is what the Regional event we are planning for the spring is for. To allow people to move up the recognition chain. Just having that discussion with Kendal, if the regional event gets the attendance we are hoping/planning then SQLSaturday speakers who are used to speaking to rooms of 20-50 will be in a room with 100+, there is definitely a difference.

I'd argue that you are on the B+ list and maybe A-list because you have spoken at the Summit multiple times, are an MVP, and have written multiple books, one of which should be on every SQL Server professional's bookshelf. Remember, the average SQL Server person doesn't know who most of the people you name are, anymore than they know who you are.

Tell me about it. It was really weird to ask 80 people if they knew Paul Randal and only see 7 or 8 hands go up.

That said, yeah, I'm looking forward to the opportunity next spring. I'll be working on notes & stuff as well as trying to track down a mentor (first time trying that) to put together a proposal for doing the pre-con at the spring event.

• Part of a problem I see with the whole process is that there aren't good guidelines. No criteria that describe how we pick things.

We did get some "B-listers" in Denny Cherry (arguable, since he writes white papers for MS) and Allen White. Ultimately my goal is the balance the need to get people to pay for the sessions (marketing, revenue) and the need to ensure we have more A-list speakers. If Paul/Kim/BK/Itzik all drop out one year, what happens?

We should have 20 people that have great name recognition and will get others to pay for a day of training. Means we need to get some more people in there at times, take some chances.

Grant, you could do it, and if you had a good session, you'd get picked. What you can't do is

a)not pick the same session as someone else (We had a few B-listers that did that). When that happens, name recognition wins

b) pick a topic that will sell. That gets people interested, with takeaways they get to use when they get back and impress their boss.

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/2/2010)

Part of a problem I see with the whole process is that there aren't good guidelines. No criteria that describe how we pick things.

We did get some "B-listers" in Denny Cherry (arguable, since he writes white papers for MS) and Allen White. Ultimately my goal is the balance the need to get people to pay for the sessions (marketing, revenue) and the need to ensure we have more A-list speakers. If Paul/Kim/BK/Itzik all drop out one year, what happens?

We should have 20 people that have great name recognition and will get others to pay for a day of training. Means we need to get some more people in there at times, take some chances.

Grant, you could do it, and if you had a good session, you'd get picked. What you can't do is

a)not pick the same session as someone else (We had a few B-listers that did that). When that happens, name recognition wins

b) pick a topic that will sell. That gets people interested, with takeaways they get to use when they get back and impress their boss.

Ok... I guess I'm just missing it here. Are you good folks talking about PASS sessions?

Shifting gears, one of the things I notice about a lot (most) of the sessions is that they're NOT for developers or DBA's that have to play developer. Sure, there are a lot of good "A-List" topics with some pretty good "A-List" speakers but if you really want to see PASS grow, you need some good "Developer to Developer" sessions. I just don't see many of those either in the local PASS chapters nor the Summit.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 15 posts - 16,111 through 16,125 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply