Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (11/4/2010)

GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (11/4/2010)

Nothing to complain about today?

Plenty, but I think most people are tired of hearing me whine about the Nightmare Project.

Nah - do tell.

Let's just say that if you and I have an informal chat about a problem and come to the agreement that X is a bad way of going about things and maybe we should consider alternatives and then you go to management and tell them that the system is useless because it can't do X and that I said X was impossible and that I'm being uncooperative, I'm going to be mildly peeved.

With good reason. BTW - I know the feeling.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/4/2010)

GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

Plenty, but I think most people are tired of hearing me whine about the Nightmare Project.

Nah - do tell.

Let's just say that if you and I have an informal chat about a problem and come to the agreement that X is a bad way of going about things and maybe we should consider alternatives and then you go to management and tell them that the system is useless because it can't do X and that I said X was impossible and that I'm being uncooperative, I'm going to be mildly peeved.

Here too.

Sounds like a Kevlar vest worn backwards is proper workplace attire.

Greg E

• Greg Edwards-268690 (11/4/2010)

GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

Nah - do tell.

Here too.

Greg E

Personally thinking Hazmat suit with A/V recording gear tucked into random places to CYA.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

Nah - do tell.

Here too.

Greg E

Sounds like my life for the last year. Every recommendation I make gets shot down. The only issue I have with it is when they come back 3 months later and complain about the decision that was made. It's really hard to hold back the "I told you so's".

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

Nah - do tell.

Here too.

Greg E

Nah - knives go right through Kevlar. Which makes me think of Ultimate Warrior on Spike.

Learn Extended Events

• Craig Farrell (11/4/2010)

Greg Edwards-268690 (11/4/2010)

GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

Nah - do tell.

Here too.

Greg E

Personally thinking Hazmat suit with A/V recording gear tucked into random places to CYA.

Then that isn't so random afterall. 😉

Learn Extended Events

• Gail, Sounds like all future informal conversations will need to include a member of management.

• Lynn Pettis (11/4/2010)

Gail, Sounds like all future informal conversations will need to include a member of management.

Or PA System

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Lynn Pettis (11/4/2010)

Gail, Sounds like all future informal conversations will need to include a member of management.

The 'informal conversation' today (3rd time same issue) had the Project manager present, just so there was someone else there. Just so that there was a 3rd person who could remember more or less what happened.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Alvin Ramard (11/4/2010)

Lynn Pettis (11/4/2010)

Or PA System

I'm seriously considering getting a voice recorder and recording all meetings and discussions. Openly and requesting everyone's permission. For 'documentation' purposes.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

Lynn Pettis (11/4/2010)

The 'informal conversation' today (3rd time same issue) had the Project manager present, just so there was someone else there. Just so that there was a 3rd person who could remember more or less what happened.

Heck with that! RECORD the meetings. Most MP3 players can record many hours of meeting conversation. So can many cell phones.

Let them know you're doing so, and say that it's for writing up notes on it later, to include in the project data. Anyone who objects shouldn't be in meetings anyway. It's no more of a big deal than keeping minutes.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (11/4/2010)

GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

Lynn Pettis (11/4/2010)

Heck with that! RECORD the meetings. Most MP3 players can record many hours of meeting conversation. So can many cell phones.

Let them know you're doing so, and say that it's for writing up notes on it later, to include in the project data. Anyone who objects shouldn't be in meetings anyway. It's no more of a big deal than keeping minutes.

I agree. Just do it openly & no one can complain, or if they do...

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Has anybody here contemplated changing their name (besides bob err ".") for the forums? I am curious if anybody much cares about the confusion that may drive.

Learn Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (11/4/2010)

GSquared (11/4/2010)

GilaMonster (11/4/2010)

Lynn Pettis (11/4/2010)

I agree. Just do it openly & no one can complain, or if they do...

I would be tempted to add being tired of being misquoted.

EDIT: Brain and hands out of sync, again!

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/4/2010)

Has anybody here contemplated changing their name (besides bob err ".") for the forums? I am curious if anybody much cares about the confusion that may drive.

I did at the beginning just to maintain privacy. But after awhile I decided that I wanted my name to be recognized (for good or ill) and it was worthwhile to let people know who I really am. I can't remember if I used to have my real picture up or not...

Sincerely,

Fred.

Viewing 15 posts - 21,181 through 21,195 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply