Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Roy Ernest (6/17/2011)

GilaMonster (6/17/2011)

Off to the UK for a week and a half. Can some people keep an eye on the corruption forums make sure that any problems don't get unchallenged stupid advice?

Enjoy your trip...

And I will keep an eye on the corruption forum. My advice would be REBOOOOOOOOTTTT...!!!

😀

Just kidding. I wont give any advice.. 🙂

I'll team up with Roy :hehe:

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• GilaMonster (6/18/2011)

I'm still trying to get my laptop reinstalled. Windows, office, Visual Studio all fine. SQL 2008 won't install, 2008 R2 won't install...

Annoying. I despise installing software.

I thought I read somewhere that it was a media problem. If so, download the 180 day Enterprise trial to get you through training.

If not media (or DVD drive read issues), then it may be faster to blow away your system and reinstall from scratch rather than debug it if you've been at it for days.

Typically, I install SQL first, then vs.

SQL 2005 dev

Vs 2005 pro

SQL 2008

SQL 2008r2

Vs 2008

Vs 2010

You've installed SQL server once or twice in your lifetime, so I really don't think it is something 'normal'. Therefore I don't think it is the install order either. It sounds like either bad media/DVD drive, or something unnatural is hosed in windows (registry, obscure permissions, etc.) making it faster to start over than debug it.

And, if your DVD drive is a possible suspect, it brings into question your windows install too. You might try/buy a USB DVD to install from.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• GilaMonster (6/17/2011)

Yes, I'd like a word with whichever bright spark at MS thought that 600MB was a low bandwidth video...

600MB? I guiess someone must have fixed that, as now there are three versions offered, MP4 at about 360MB, HD DMV also at about 360MB, and lo DVD at about 170MB. No 600MB version that I can see.

Tom

• Kiara (6/18/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/17/2011)

Cross your fingers, everyone. Horse vet called, ugly cut on the rear hind of a horse. I think it can be stitched, but you never know.

Is the horse ok now? *hopeful*

I think so. Doc arrived around 10:30, started stitching. Probably 60+ going in, maybe more. I left around 11:30, headed for bed with the little girl. Gonna be touch and go for a few weeks, managing healing and infection.

Here's a pic, little girl helping the vet.

• Darn, Steve, what happened to the horse ?

How did it get that kind of wound ?

I hope your vet can fix it.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Steve - man, that looks bad. I hope she pulls through and doesn't pull the stitches out, or the wound getting infected.

Gail - you probably can't use an Ent trial since you are running Windows7 on your lappy, likely. My best thought is to call Red Gate to see if someone can lend a USB DVd drive that works, or lend new Dev edition media. Since you can't install two different versions of SQL server, I'm doubting the drive more than the disks.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• No idea, might be a T-post, but I can't find anything. Just found the horse like this, blood in a stall.

Much better now.

• Ok , so we all have differing opinions of Celko, but a response after three and a half years :crazy:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1127806.aspx

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Jim Murphy (6/18/2011)

Gail - you probably can't use an Ent trial since you are running Windows7 on your lappy, likely. My best thought is to call Red Gate to see if someone can lend a USB DVd drive that works, or lend new Dev edition media. Since you can't install two different versions of SQL server, I'm doubting the drive more than the disks.

I could use Ent trial, but downloading 4GB not trivial. I could just download Dev again from MSDN for that.

2008 was bad media, read errors on DVD. 2008 R2 somehow the only install I could find required a product key, but the MSDN versions are pre-set with a product key, so i suspect it was a pre-release that I found, and no time to hunt down other installs (I don't get DVDs from MSDN any longer).

Downloading 2008 R2 dev now. 300kb/sec is heaven.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Dave Ballantyne (6/19/2011)

Ok , so we all have differing opinions of Celko, but a response after three and a half years :crazy:

I don't think many threadizens will find that response other than appallingly silly, unhelpful, and arrogant. I wish Celko would stay in his sensible helpful mode (yes, he does have such a mode - I've experienced it - threadizens who don't believe he has are wrong) instead of posting such pointless junk.

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (6/19/2011)

Dave Ballantyne (6/19/2011)

Ok , so we all have differing opinions of Celko, but a response after three and a half years :crazy:

I don't think many threadizens will find that response other than appallingly silly, unhelpful, and arrogant. I wish Celko would stay in his sensible helpful mode (yes, he does have such a mode - I've experienced it - threadizens who don't believe he has are wrong) instead of posting such pointless junk.

The problem with Celko is that I've never seen him be really helpful here on SSC. Perhaps if he were to be more helpful instead of on his high horse all the time we'd get to see that helpful side you have experienced.

• Tom.Thomson (6/19/2011)

Dave Ballantyne (6/19/2011)

Major vent... suppressed. 😀 He's not worth the keystrokes. :sick:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/18/2011)

Heh... glad you clarified what that was. I thought maybe you got a picture of Celko in his natural environment. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/17/2011)

Cross your fingers, everyone. Horse vet called, ugly cut on the rear hind of a horse. I think it can be stitched, but you never know.

How did the horse get cut?

EDIT: Ignore above question. Just caught up with the rest of The Thread.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/18/2011)

Much better now.

Very glad to hear it. Hope she pulls through and recovers completely.

-Ki

Viewing 15 posts - 27,466 through 27,480 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply