Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GSquared (7/26/2011)

One of these days, I really will get my mind out of the gutter. But not today. I had the idea they meant "use a professional" because, hey, if you follow their advice, your database will be f***ed, and you might as well be too. (Steve, if I just went too far, feel free to delete.)

Actually, that's maybe a more likely interpretation than mine. The writer does claim (on hos profile page at that site) to be a database professional, and I imagine from his advice that he has f***ed a few databases. (Steve, if it is too far plse dlte)

Tom

• David Burrows (7/26/2011)

Grant Fritchey (7/26/2011)

Yeah, luckily I'm behind on preparing my morning coffee...

After meeting you, don't know why but it conjures up an image of you in a pinny...

whoa! too much information

aaaagh!! stack overflow

tilt..... :crazy:

I had to look up what a pinny is... and now I need some brain bleach.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Can someone with Full Text knowledge help out here: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1147434-1292-1.aspx#bm1147915

I think I scared the OP into thinking Full Text was Evil and useless, which is not what I was trying to do. And since I don't know much about Full Text, I could be wrong...

EDIT: And help here on SQL Server performance with SANs and LUNs, please: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1147349-1292-1.aspx?Update=1

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• 440692 I am just a number (7/26/2011)

I think I just fell in love ...

GilaMonster (7/26/2011)

M.Kahn (7/26/2011)

This is professional site joke not accepts here. Can you answer his question ? so answer in nice way. Otherwise backoff.

Watch the attitude....

Buahahahaha - Go Gail

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (7/26/2011)

Can't help it, I have to share. I was doing some Boogling or Ginging, whatever we call it now, when I stumbled across a really scary bit of advice. It's just frightening what's out there.

Be nice. I just had to share.

Not completely accurate. Some of that inaccuracy may be due to language barrier. Enough people already jumped on it.

Learn Extended Events

• Gianluca Sartori (7/26/2011)

Can't help it, I have to share. I was doing some Boogling or Ginging, whatever we call it now, when I stumbled across a really scary bit of advice. It's just frightening what's out there.

Also, in the "Related Articles" box: Cleaning Flat screens and LCDs.

I haven't read it yet, but I suspect they advise using sandpaper. :hehe:

I think that comment should have gone with this series...

Gianluca Sartori (7/26/2011)

I love the "Do not use indexes on tables that you update often" part. :hehe:

Yeah, luckily I'm behind on preparing my morning coffee or I would have sprayed it across the screen.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/26/2011)

Not completely accurate. Some of that inaccuracy may be due to language barrier. Enough people already jumped on it.

What language?

SQL?

DBA?

Bits > 1 VS 0?

• Ninja's_RGR'us (7/26/2011)

SQLRNNR (7/26/2011)

What language?

SQL?

DBA?

Bits > 1 VS 0?

Any

Learn Extended Events

• Brandie Tarvin (7/26/2011)

Can someone with Full Text knowledge help out here: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1147434-1292-1.aspx#bm1147915

I think I scared the OP into thinking Full Text was Evil and useless, which is not what I was trying to do. And since I don't know much about Full Text, I could be wrong...

I think you probably did scare him away. probably rightly - although his problem could be solved by specifying all required equivalences in a thesaurus, that little word "all" tends to be the limiting factor - it can be very very hard to make a full text thesaurus, especially for personal names, and even more so if it has to be cross-language. Whether it's any easier to do it with wildcards - well, I doubt it; it may even be more difficult, but I doubt that too.

But, frankly, if you have a project that needs it done right, whether with full-text indexing and custom thesauri or with the wild-card approach: I would rather have you touch it with your bargepole than I with mine!

At the end of the day, I thought that you and Dave and Gus described the issues extremely well; the OP is not going to get any better advice/information than that.

EDIT: And help here on SQL Server performance with SANs and LUNs, please: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1147349-1292-1.aspx?Update=1

I added a comment, which may be regarded as most unhelpful - or it may wake someone up to the fact that there is a little more to raid controller configuration than to say "I wanna 6 disc Raid10" and more to performance measurement than to say "it does x serial writes of absolutely unspecified size per second".

Tom

• SQLRNNR (7/26/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (7/26/2011)

SQLRNNR (7/26/2011)

What language?

SQL?

DBA?

Bits > 1 VS 0?

Any

I have to say that I can't think of a language that would cause the sort of problem that that "advice" displays. I've worked with people with bad English comprehension (native languages Telugu, Tamil, Hindi, Marathi, Gujurati, Fรขrsi, Arabic, Ukrainian, Russian, Serbo-Croatian, Dutch, Italian, French, German, and even American [Americans are the most difficult to understand :hehe::-D]) as well as with people whose first languages were other non-English languages (Gaidhlig, Gaoluinn, Gaidhlig, but had good English comprehension, and I've never seen anyone produce advice as utterly wrong as that collection based on language difficulties.

Tom

• A little funny for the day.

I was having problems with the internet yesterday (and SSC). Then, later, my SO was responding on another forum to someone else who was having problems too. This was the post and his response. I thought y'all would appreciate it.

>Has anyone been experiencing slowness online today? I have. It's not an

>overall connection speed, but various large sites including Google,

>imdb and a number of others have been fairly hit & miss -sometimes not

>working at all until I try again later.

>

>Is it just me?

It's not worldwide, but the Internet performance problems you've observed are presently unique to Europe and related networks. Due to recession, the Greek marathon runners that hand-carry packets between Mediterranean network nodes are operating only at half duplex. This means that upon reaching their destination, instead of carrying another packet back to their point of origin they return empty-handed. That configuration requires a second marathon runner to be despatched from the point of receipt to the point of origin to transmit the ACK portion of the network traffic, thus doubling the effective time required for communication.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Could someone please gie some advice when you get time here?

-Roy

• Brandie Tarvin (7/26/2011)

A little funny for the day.

I was having problems with the internet yesterday (and SSC). Then, later, my SO was responding on another forum to someone else who was having problems too. This was the post and his response. I thought y'all would appreciate it.

>Has anyone been experiencing slowness online today? I have. It's not an

>overall connection speed, but various large sites including Google,

>imdb and a number of others have been fairly hit & miss -sometimes not

>working at all until I try again later.

>

>Is it just me?

It's not worldwide, but the Internet performance problems you've observed are presently unique to Europe and related networks. Due to recession, the Greek marathon runners that hand-carry packets between Mediterranean network nodes are operating only at half duplex. This means that upon reaching their destination, instead of carrying another packet back to their point of origin they return empty-handed. That configuration requires a second marathon runner to be despatched from the point of receipt to the point of origin to transmit the ACK portion of the network traffic, thus doubling the effective time required for communication.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Grant Fritchey (7/26/2011)

I agree that the advice is bad, but I think only because it is so brief. Taken as it was written, someone will make mistakes but it's because the information isn't complete, not because it is incorrect. Jason might be right - I'm not a language expert (I only know one language and I'm still not fluent), but it may be they don't understand the implication of the phrasing they used.

Just taking the 2nd section:

... Use clustered and non-clustered indexes with caution: True, if you add indexes with reckless abandon, that will lead to very real pain. The phrasing here implies that any use AT ALL should be with caution, which is sort of true, you should carefully consider what to index, but almost every table will benefit from at least some indexing (at least one exception being a 1-page table, right?).

... Do not use indexes on tables that you update often: True, a ton of indexes in a OLTP environment is bad. However the phrasing here again implies "At all", which hopefully was not what was intended.

... In order to minimize execution time... you should use a covering index: True again, but covering indexes have their downsides as well. You need to weigh the benefits of a covering index against the maintenance of an index with 20 (or whatever) columns in it. That wasn't drawn out and if someone creates covering indexes for all their queries, there will be some very real pain (unless, of course, the system is completely 100% OLAP with no data modifications).

In my opinion, the issue here was the brevity, the brevity wasn't mentioned, and completeness was implied. The "tip" is too short for the subject matter covered and doesn't draw out the variety of factors to consider, nor even that other factors even exist.

Alright - flame me now. I'm in a good mood, hopefully I can take it. ๐Ÿ˜›

Chad

• Chad Crawford (7/26/2011)

Alright - flame me now. I'm in a good mood, hopefully I can take it. ๐Ÿ˜›

Chad

Actually you can't. Just 1 look at me and you're dust.

Anakin :alien:

Viewing 15 posts - 28,396 through 28,410 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply