Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (3/24/2009)

I think that would have required some pretty heavy commenting.

Like with a hammer?

• Roy Ernest (3/24/2009)

How many of you all travel to Europe for Pass?

PASS US if I can afford it (and it's an expensive flight from where I am). Fortunately I don't need a US visa (British passport) so I'm spared that problem. Good thing too, immigration's enough of a problem without needing to beg for a visa as well.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Roy Ernest (3/24/2009)

Hahahaha Lynn, Maybe you should not have put Drop Table statements in the end. :hehe:

Maybe you should edit your post and state that you should not use the Drop Table statements. 😉

I prefaced my post that the code provided was test code. I did go in and editted the code to indicate that the drop table statements were for my test tables. Probably go back and add addtional comments as well.

• I think that was a good move Lynn. 🙂

I wish I could go to Pass or other SQL Group meetings in US. That is much more closer to me. But I dont want the hassle of Visa. It is way too much if a pain.

-Roy

• So much for improving. Guess someone's going straight back on the blaclklist

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost682465.aspx

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (3/24/2009)

So much for improving. Guess someone's going straight back on the blaclklist

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost682465.aspx

Wow....I think this one needs a bit of alone time.

I could think of a better fitting avatar they could use.:hehe:

Greg E

• Patience.

It's like the old joke:

Q: How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Only one. But it takes a very long time and the light bulb has to want to change.

😀

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (3/24/2009)

It's like the old joke:

A: Only one. But it takes a very long time and the light bulb has to want to change.

Lol.

Maybe I overreacted, but I don't consider 'As sarcastically as possible...' to be humour

Gail Shaw

• So much for improving. Guess someone's going straight back on the blacklist.

I reluctantly reached that decision last week. I glanced at your link. He is still hung up on numbering rows so that he can walk through them a row at a time like elements of an array.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• GilaMonster (3/24/2009)

RBarryYoung (3/24/2009)

It's like the old joke:

Lol.

Maybe I overreacted, but I don't consider 'As sarcastically as possible...' to be humour

He is a "work in progress". Did you happen to catch his other thread? Someone suggested he use a cursor. He warned the poster about the can of worms he (or she) was opening with that suggestion. Looks like we did start opening his eyes. Now, if we can only get him to post more to help us help him when he asks.

• Bob Hovious (3/24/2009)

So much for improving. Guess someone's going straight back on the blacklist.

I reluctantly reached that decision last week. I glanced at your link. He is still hung up on numbering rows so that he can walk through them a row at a time like elements of an array.

Actually, based on another thread, his real problem is that he is trying to mix embedded SQL with his C# code to do the work instead of separating the data manipulation from his code. I'll have to find that other thread and post the link to it here.

• Here is the thread where I think you will see what he is trying to do with mixing code. This is also the thread where he warned someone else about suggesting the use of a cursor.

• I'd argue his real problem appears to be a lack of communication. He doesn't appear to understand how to frame a problem or question.

• Chris Morris (3/24/2009)

Good Lord. Do you have six siblings, by any chance?

Oh, bless you! Didn't mean to make you sneeze!

Nope, I'm an only child, and they wouldn't let me into the union. Said I was too tall. Blatent discrimination if you ask me.

Just as a note, the medical definition of a dwarf is person with an adult height of 4'10" or shorter. Luckily I made it past that point. 😀

-- Kit

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/24/2009)

I'd argue his real problem appears to be a lack of communication. He doesn't appear to understand how to frame a problem or question.

Yes indeed. If I hadn't written my latest submission 4 weeks ago, you would think that he's where I got the idea for people who "cannot describe requirements, except in terms of a procedure." 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 2,896 through 2,910 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply