Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/24/2009)

I'd argue his real problem appears to be a lack of communication. He doesn't appear to understand how to frame a problem or question.

I'll agree, with that assessment as well. But it doesn't help when he trys to mix his coding. It obscures what really needs to be done and where it should be done.

• I guess the thing that gets me is that you've asked numerous times for sample data and expected results and never been given them. It's been suggested for him to read Jeff's article on how to ask a question so that you get accurate help quickly, and he either figured he didn't need to read it or he just plain doesn't care. It's always like pulling teeth trying to get the information you need to solve the problem.

Of course, the fact that he's mixing his application and database code doesn't help either.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• GilaMonster (3/24/2009)

RBarryYoung (3/24/2009)

It's like the old joke:

Q: How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Only one. But it takes a very long time and the light bulb has to want to change.

Lol.

Maybe I overreacted, but I don't consider 'As sarcastically as possible...' to be humour

Yes but humor is intricately intertwined with language, semantics and cultural context. What if he had said "As ironically as possible..." or "As facetiously as possible..." instead?

It's pretty hard to understand the nuanced differences between those three words unless you grew up speaking English. And it would be pretty easy to miss that "sarcasm" carries a very strong connotation of condescension.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (3/24/2009)

GilaMonster (3/24/2009)

RBarryYoung (3/24/2009)

It's like the old joke:

Q: How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Only one. But it takes a very long time and the light bulb has to want to change.

Lol.

Maybe I overreacted, but I don't consider 'As sarcastically as possible...' to be humour

Yes but humor is intricately intertwined with language, semantics and cultural context. What if he had said "As ironically as possible..." or "As facetiously as possible..." instead?

It's pretty hard to understand the nuanced differences between those three words unless you grew up speaking English. And it would be pretty easy to miss that "sarcasm" carries a very strong connotation of condescension.

That might apply in some cases, but this guy is very, very condescending and arrogant, as evidenced by his original rant and continued comments in other threads.

I'm going to say that the communications problem is a symptom in his case. This is a guy who has, per his own claims, been working with SQL for nearly 15 years, and who is just now beginning to get the idea that cursors are not the be-all, end-all solution for all things database. That's not just a problem with the ability to state requirements and details, it's a problem with something more basic.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• ... you've asked numerous times for sample data and expected results and never been given them. It's been suggested for him to read Jeff's article on how to ask a question so that you get accurate help quickly, and he either figured he didn't need to read it or he just plain doesn't care. It's always like pulling teeth trying to get the information you need to solve the problem.

This is exactly why I've resisted the temptation to re-engage with him on any of his threads. The aggravation factor is too great for me to endure politely any more. He still seems to asking how to dig a hole with a spoon.

I see that he is happy with Gail's solution to his most recent problem. We'll see if he learns anything from it. I would be much more optimistic if he ever posted some of his own code (yes and data) to show he was at least trying to do a set-based solution on his own. Right now he's simply being fed fish.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• All of us "heavy hitters" could make an agreement to post nothing in any of his future requests for assistance except the following:

Please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

After reading this article, post the DDL for your table(s), sample data (per the article), expected results based on the sample data, and the exact code you are currently having problems with (no psuedo code).

Once he posts all the appropriate info, then we would help him.

The problem is, someone else will come along and try to help without waiting for the info each of us would have asked for from him, even if there were multiple posts asking for the same information. They may just think we are being butts about it.

But(t), I would be open to such an agreement.

• Bob! Only 83 more posts until we hit 3000!

• Bob Hovious (3/24/2009)

He is still hung up on numbering rows so that he can walk through them a row at a time like elements of an array.

[font="Verdana"]When I was teaching introductory computer science, I was reminded that there is what I refer to as a "click factor". I don't often experience it myself any more, but I often did when I was learning. Suddenly I would understand something and it would "click". Until then, it felt like batting my head against a brick wall.

Just try teaching pointers... 😉

[/font]

• Just try teaching pointers... 😉

First you point make a fist.

Extend you index finger.

Gesture with your finger toward the exit.

Gesture with your finger toward the ceiling.

Congratulations you're pointing.

You mean teaching pointers like that?

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Thanks, Lynn!! I was getting depressed. 😀

I agree with your solution, and with the problem you pointed out. Sticking to it not means deciding to walk away until some schema/data/expected results get posted. It also means staying away when someone else jumps in to play 20 questions. We'll see how long I can hold out.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Just try teaching pointers...

I did, back in the early 80s, when computers were still hand-cranked. People didn't trust me when I started counting from zero. I console myself about aging by reminding myself that I'm only 34 in hex. 😉

Just try teaching pointers...

I did, back in the early 80s, when computers were still hand-cranked. People didn't trust me when I started counting from zero. I console myself about aging by reminding myself that I'm only 34 in hex. 😉

I'm not that far behind you Bob.

I console myself about aging by reminding myself that I'm only 34 in hex.

[font="Verdana"]There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't. :-P[/font]

Just try teaching pointers...

Why not use base-110 for your age? Decimal numbers from 0 to 9, then lower Latin, then upper Latin (we're up to base-62 already), then same thing with Greek letters (48 more with lower and upper).

In that method, you're only Q years old. Doesn't even have two digits! There, don't you feel better already? 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Okay, now I am beginning to feel like a counselor. is that also part of being a saint?

Viewing 15 posts - 2,911 through 2,925 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply