Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn,

Sorry you got sucked in there.

Feel like I'm babysitting today.

• Steve, Not a problem. You'll get my bill in the mail. πŸ˜‰

It just felt right to try and step in and help smooth out a possible problem before it exploded too much. Hopefully I had a positive affect on the situation.

I think you handled the business side of things just fine. Hopefully CozyRock will feel the same way tomorrow. Only time will tell.

• And then to read CozyRock's last post, sorry, but that doesn't show me much in the way of character. Personal opinion. I guess I hold myself to a higher standard, I can only think of one thread off hand where I finally gave up and that was due to a language barrier and the use of BabelFish by the OP (I really need to learn Spanish; read, write, and speak).

• RBarryYoung (3/24/2009)

GilaMonster (3/24/2009)

RBarryYoung (3/24/2009)

It's like the old joke:

Q: How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Only one. But it takes a very long time and the light bulb has to want to change.

Lol.

Maybe I overreacted, but I don't consider 'As sarcastically as possible...' to be humour

Yes but humor is intricately intertwined with language, semantics and cultural context. What if he had said "As ironically as possible..." or "As facetiously as possible..." instead?

It's pretty hard to understand the nuanced differences between those three words unless you grew up speaking English. And it would be pretty easy to miss that "sarcasm" carries a very strong connotation of condescension.

Heh... why are you guys trying to justify his actions? He's an arrogant, ignorant, insulting, blatherskite and he proves it on every thread. I agree with Gail... that moron (actually he's more off than on :-P) is on my permanent black list just because he can't control himself.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (3/24/2009)

RBarryYoung (3/24/2009)

GilaMonster (3/24/2009)

RBarryYoung (3/24/2009)

It's like the old joke:

Q: How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Only one. But it takes a very long time and the light bulb has to want to change.

Lol.

Maybe I overreacted, but I don't consider 'As sarcastically as possible...' to be humour

Yes but humor is intricately intertwined with language, semantics and cultural context. What if he had said "As ironically as possible..." or "As facetiously as possible..." instead?

It's pretty hard to understand the nuanced differences between those three words unless you grew up speaking English. And it would be pretty easy to miss that "sarcasm" carries a very strong connotation of condescension.

Heh... why are you guys trying to justify his actions? He's an arrogant, ignorant, insulting, blatherskite and he proves it on every thread. I agree with Gail... that moron (actually he's more off than on :-P) is on my permanent black list just because he can't control himself.

People can change. I remember how I was earlier in my "life" on SSC and the interactions I had with Sergiy. Hopefully I'm not that same person anymore. We can always hope that through perseverance and patience that he too may change. If not, too bad for him.

• But FG didn't... and won't. It's a waste of time and I'd rather spend the time helping people who don't need to be changed. Heh... pork chops are getting way too expensive to waste on the likes of him.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Lynn Pettis (3/24/2009)

Steve, Not a problem. You'll get my bill in the mail. πŸ˜‰

It just felt right to try and step in and help smooth out a possible problem before it exploded too much. Hopefully I had a positive affect on the situation.

I think you handled the business side of things just fine. Hopefully CozyRock will feel the same way tomorrow. Only time will tell.

That was definitely a tough thread. I'm actually in a week long class called Peacemakers on conflict resolution this week so I haven't been on line much, other than keeping up with this thread and the links in it. One of the key points in the training thus far is acknowledging that it takes 2 to create a conflict, even if you are less responsible you still have some ownership. CozyRoc won't acknowledge his part in the problem, even after others, Steve and Lynn, point out some things he could have done differently.

Thanks for trying to keep it above board Lynn, and Steve, I definitely agree with Lynn's sentiment on how you handled it.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• I try to keep my disagreements with other posters on the level to discussion of the issues and avoid name calling.

Not because I like to take the high road or don’t get the urge to call people names, but because the thing most likely to make people really insanely mad is smashing their stupid arguments. It’s the ultimate form of verbal abuse. :crazy:

Just kidding. Kind of...

• Heh... I'm with Michael... you don't need to call someone a name to hit them with the pork chop that has the code stuffing.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Kit G (3/24/2009)

Yeah, I have to agree with Bob. I'm new to SQL and CR's help didn't make much sense to me. Had it been me getting that, I would have asked for more info too, even a reference to BOL would have been good. I think CR is assuming a level of knowledge with the OP that isn't there, like which SQL Server table to use (and if there is only one SQL server table ot use, then that just shows my ignorance on the subject. :-)).

Keep on polishing that halo Lynn, perhaps the light will go on with CR. πŸ˜€

The OP doesn't have the level of knowledge, read one or two of his earlier posts and you will see what I mean. His (her) arrogance is on a par with our friend FJ too which doesn't help. He could have ignored CR's less than helpful suggestion and simply said something along the lines of "Anyone out there care to elaborate on this?" but chose confrontation instead.

Come to think of it, FJ and ALHP appear remarkably similar in their style of writing too - but ALHP uses SSIS for everything and FJ would like to use C# for everything. Maybe they're twits. I mean twins.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Jeff Moden (3/24/2009)

I agree with Gail... that moron (actually he's more off than on :-P) is on my permanent black list just because he can't control himself.

I take people off the blacklist from time to time and test if they still belong on it. Fox is exceedingly close to going back on to it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Bob Hovious (3/24/2009)

Just try teaching pointers...

I did, back in the early 80s, when computers were still hand-cranked. People didn't trust me when I started counting from zero. I console myself about aging by reminding myself that I'm only 34 in hex. πŸ˜‰

Hey! I'm only 35 going on 36 in hex :;!

I still remember trying to persuade a programmer 20 years ago that code like

[font="Courier New"]for i=1 to n

do something with rec(i)

next[/font]

could be replaced by code like

[font="Courier New"]while p is not null

do something with p.rec

p=p.next

end while[/font]

and you didn't have to 'guestimate' how big an array was needed ... just allocate one record at a time!

Derek

• Bruce W Cassidy (3/24/2009)

Lynn Pettis (3/24/2009)

SQL Server 2005 hasn't been out for ten years, how can you have ten years experience with it?

[font="Verdana"]I think someone forgets to tell the HR people compiling the job advertisement that it's not possible to have several years experience in a product that has just been released.

[/font]

Manager: Joe's leaving. We need a new DBA.

HR: What skills are needed?

Manager: SQL server 2005 definitely. Preferably SQL server 2008, of course!

HR: What level of experience?

Manager: Oh, to replace Joe, I think we'll need someone whose been a DBA at some level for about 10 years.

HR: OK. I'll advertise the job for you.

Later...

HR to recruiter: The post is for a DBA with 10 years experience of either SQL server 2008 or at least SQL server 2005 ...

Much later...

Recruiter: Have you used SQL Server 2008?

Applicant: We were early beta testers for Microsoft, so I've used it for over 2 years.

Recruiter: How about version 2005?

Applicant: About five years.

Recruiter: Sorry, they're looking for at least ten. I'll call you if we get anything suitable. {click!}

πŸ˜€

Derek

• Well the OP came back with what seems to be an appropriate level of contrition and received help.

I just don't understand how you do it Lynn. I try to avoid these online confrontations, as I would confrontations in the real world... I walk away. Run if necessary.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Well the OP came back with what seems to be an appropriate level of contrition and received help.

I just don't understand how you do it Lynn. I try to avoid these online confrontations, as I would confrontations in the real world... I walk away. Run if necessary.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 2,941 through 2,955 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply