Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Well the OP came back with what seems to be an appropriate level of contrition and received help.

I just don't understand how you do it Lynn. I try to avoid these online confrontations, as I would confrontations in the real world... I walk away. Run if necessary.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (3/25/2009)

Well the OP came back with what seems to be an appropriate level of contrition and received help.

I just don't understand how you do it Lynn. I try to avoid these online confrontations, as I would confrontations in the real world... I walk away. Run if necessary.

Actually, I think that part of Lynn's secret is the following two principles:

1) Treat people with respect. People have the ability to forgive (or forget) almost anything except the feeling that they are not respected. And,

2) The OP's need help. They came here for a reason and as long as this is still the easiest way to address their need and they do not feel that they have been disrespected, they are likely to come around again, sooner or later.

That said, Lynn is also really good at it. Those years of soccer mediation must have really paid off. 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Well the OP came back with what seems to be an appropriate level of contrition and received help.

1) Treat people with respect. People have the ability to forgive (or forget) almost anything except the feeling that they are not respected. And,

2) The OP's need help. They came here for a reason and as long as this is still the easiest way to address their need and they do not feel that they have been disrespected, they are likely to come around again, sooner or later.

That said, Lynn is also really good at it. Those years of soccer mediation must have really paid off. 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

[/font]

• RBarryYoung (3/25/2009)

Grant Fritchey (3/25/2009)

There is a third principle. Knowing where and with whom you can vent your own frustrations. I have a coworker at work with whom I can share my frustrations (he'll sometimes remind me that the OP or other poster is in a helicopter) as well as with those of you here on The Thread.

You've "seen" me when I am frustrated, little comments about running off into the desert pulling out my hair and such.

• Is this thread getting too big for the forum? I see triple postings... Something seems to have gone loose..:hehe:

Lynn sure has lots and lots of patience for sure.... I have never seen anyone with this much patience. I could never do it. Here at work I am going Nuts. I really need to get LightSaber to take out my frustration. Yesterday the same Moron who messed up my Warm Stand by messed up another DB box that I just introduced into the DB Vlan.:angry:

-Roy

• Arggh! Grant & I have triple posts. The site wasn't responding and I just kept hitting POST... :blush:

I tried deleting the duplicates, but I don't think that Steve allows us to do that anymore.

[/font]

• I thought it was just an echo....

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I have seen a 'symptom' here regarding questions on the boards that I occasionally see at work.

Here's a good example. There is a lady who sits across from me and seems to be the most 'anti-tech' person in a tech job I've ever seen. She subscribes to no newsletters, reads/owns no tech books, does no tutorials, and seems totally disinterested in learning MS SQL or improving her skills. (She does admin set ups on a package that uses SQL). Her background is RPG/AS400 and I guess she assumes we'll always have that architecture (in one area). She would much rather come over and ask me or another developer a question about a setup/assignment than to investigate it herself. So essentially, she's a bit of liability because when she gets a task, it almost always ties up other (developer) resources as well. I attribute this behavior to several things: 1) instant gratification 2) laziness and 3) possibly being in 'over her head' in a position. It would not bother so much if at least, a little initiative was shown. (It also doesn't help that she comes in later than anyone, surfs the net too much, and takes longer lunches than allowed).

The other four in our group have the same strong work ethic.

Thanks for letting me vent!:-)

• You know I am not getting my email alerts/updates this morning either. Something is definitely off.

[/font]

• Echo....

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

You know I am not getting my email alerts/updates this morning either. Something is definitely off.

The same thing seems to be happening here. The last notification I got was from a post 5 hours ago.

Did we go past the max allowable number of posts in a thread? 😀

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Arggh! Grant & I have triple posts. The site wasn't responding and I just kept hitting POST... :blush:

I tried deleting the duplicates, but I don't think that Steve allows us to do that anymore.

I noticed the same thing when I was posting my reply. While waiting I made another connection to The Thread and saw that my post was there, so I hit the "stop" on IE on the tab where I was posting my reply and closed that tab.

I am also noticing that the quote button still likes to grab the quote from the previous post most of the time.

• Something is not right for sure. I think helping some posters is kind of out of the question. I guess this is Steves way of telling everyone that today is a day off for all the forum gurus. :hehe: Just kidding off course.

Is anyone getting withdrawal symptomsfrom nat being able to post and not getting email notifications? 😉 ?

-Roy

You know I am not getting my email alerts/updates this morning either. Something is definitely off.

Likewise. I've had one notification since about 9am this morning (GMT+2).

I promise I didn't break anything, I've been offline most of the day. 😀

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 2,956 through 2,970 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply