Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Roy Ernest (3/26/2009)

I actually made the first post on the 300th page. Beat you all to it... :hehe:

For me, this appears near the end of page 60!

I have 50 posts/page! πŸ˜€

Derek

• Grant Fritchey (3/26/2009)

Besides, I've operated nuclear power plants while inebriated (not my fault, my chief liked drinking partners) and nothing happened.

If anybody wants to know what Grant looked like as a fresh-faced youth, there are still some faded 29-year old 'Wanted' posters in Harrisburg 😎

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris Morris (3/26/2009)

Grant Fritchey (3/26/2009)

Besides, I've operated nuclear power plants while inebriated (not my fault, my chief liked drinking partners) and nothing happened.

If anybody wants to know what Grant looked like as a fresh-faced youth, there are still some faded 29-year old 'Wanted' posters in Harrisburg 😎

And to think the real truth comes out just 2 days before the 30th anniversary...

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke L (3/26/2009)

Chris Morris (3/26/2009)

Grant Fritchey (3/26/2009)

And to think the real truth comes out just 2 days before the 30th anniversary...

-Luke.

Hey now! It was nuclear submarine. They're a lot more fault tolerant. Have to be with a bunch of swabbies operating them.

Although, on a serious note, WAY back in the day, we were given all the data on the TMI incident as part of our training. At the time, it was still denied that it was a melt-down. We got the data, read through it, looked up at the instructor and said, "Hey, this was a melt-down." He said "Yeah, I know, you can't tell anyone." Now, of course, the truth is out.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Best part is one of the local wineries grow radioactive grapes for their wines, or so the story goes... Never tested it to see if it really glows in the dark though. They are just across the river from TMI.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Derek Dongray (3/26/2009)

Roy Ernest (3/26/2009)

I actually made the first post on the 300th page. Beat you all to it... :hehe:

For me, this appears near the end of page 60!

I have 50 posts/page! πŸ˜€

Thats not fair... :crying:

I already have a Bash set up ...:hehe:

-Roy

• Luke L (3/26/2009)

Best part is one of the local wineries grow radioactive grapes for their wines, or so the story goes... Never tested it to see if it really glows in the dark though. They are just across the river from TMI.

-Luke.

A school buddy who's first job after leaving (in 1975) was at Windscale, now Sellafield, used to tell stories of luminescent seagull droppings on car windscreens. There was a highly radioactive cooling pond at the plant in those days apparently, and the seagulls frequented it.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• He still hasn't got it ...

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost684294.aspx

Have any of you seen the challace and viewed another way it looks like a face?

Or a cube drawn on paper, and how the perspective can change.

I liken doing updates with a loop, vs updates with just a statement to these perspective types, and for me it takes time to switch between the two perspectives.

This is why I think the language of use could be changed to better sql .

And I know all of you are rolling your eyes πŸ™‚ well pooie.

Derek

• Derek Dongray (3/26/2009)

He still hasn't got it ...

I liken doing updates with a loop, vs updates with just a statement to these perspective types, and for me it takes time to switch between the two perspectives.

To rephrase his original comment, based on what we have seen from him so far:

Why can't T-SQL be written so that it would be easier to do things the way they shouldn't be done?

It's hopeless!!

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (3/26/2009)

Derek Dongray (3/26/2009)

He still hasn't got it ...

To rephrase his original comment, based on what we have seen from him so far:

Why can't T-SQL be written so that it would be easier to do things the way they shouldn't be done?

It's hopeless!!

Not hopeless. Just like the impossible, it will just take a little longer.

Having found out he lives in Denver, we just need to get him to start attending the SQL Server Users Group meetings up there. Perhaps by interacting directly with other SQL DBA's/Developers he may just start to get the idea.

Think of it as a work in progress, just moving at the pace of glacier.

• Let us know if he shows up, Lynn.

Fox still hasn't had his AH-HAH! moment yet. He is the poster child for procedural thinking.

I'm sure he can do some batch inserts, or updates but it is apparent from the language of the questions he asks that his problem solving mindset is to select sets of rows, assign them numbers as if they were elements in an array, then work through them one at a time. I don't know how to explain it any better to him that nobody has bothered to make the task easier for him, because he has been doing it the wrong way.

To be fair, he seems to have survived for years coding with cursors. I'm just amazed that he seemed to think that was the way everyone else worked.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• It also makes me wonder what company he works for as well. Must not have much in the way of data or they'd probably be complaining about system performance; OR they don't know any better either.

• That's always the question when someone says "It seems to work pretty well."

What are you comparing it to?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Lynn Pettis (3/26/2009)

It also makes me wonder what company he works for as well. Must not have much in the way of data or they'd probably be complaining about system performance; OR they don't know any better either.

Or he gets dozens of such complaints a day, and handles them the same way he handled the original suggestions in his rant. In which case, he's keeping his career through the process of, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS".

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (3/26/2009)

Lynn Pettis (3/26/2009)

It also makes me wonder what company he works for as well. Must not have much in the way of data or they'd probably be complaining about system performance; OR they don't know any better either.

Or he gets dozens of such complaints a day, and handles them the same way he handled the original suggestions in his rant. In which case, he's keeping his career through the process of, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS".

I'm actually thinking that the company doesn't have a dedicated DBA for the SQL Server systems and that the Developers are also doing the DBA work. That means nobody really knows any better, from top to bottom. Sounds like a challenge for a performance consultant to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 3,016 through 3,030 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply