Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn: fnord $ka-ching$ fnord. 😀

I finally did some spring cleaning on my thread subscriptions and let the rant go. I will no longer be an accessory to it becoming a rival to The Thread. But, please let me know if anything truly interesting happens over there.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• For those who haven't noticed, The BLOG button is now active on my posts. I now have a blog on SSC. 😉

• Lynn Pettis (3/26/2009)

For those who haven't noticed, The BLOG button is now active on my posts. I now have a blog on SSC. 😉

Cool.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• There's a BLOG button? Is it surrounded by fnords?

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Uh, Bob, it's right there next to the button to send someone a Private Message. 😉

Okay, I know it snowing here now, but you may want to wait before hoisting the tankard o' ale.

• And I really have to ask, what is a fnords?

• Lynn Pettis (3/26/2009)

And I really have to ask, what is a fnords?

If you have to ask, we can't tell you.

Actually, you shouldn't be able to see fnord:anything between the:fnord fnords. Just stay where you're at. Someone will be visiting soon.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• gg wiki fnord.

Edit: definition removed by higher powers

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• fnord You can't see this link. fnord

• Okay.... Actually, I may have seen the movie mentioned in wikipedia, but I haven't read any of the books mentioned. i must be missing something good!

• They were good back in the day, but like my namesake said:

" The times they are a-changin' "

• AAaaahhhhh!!!!!!!

Three days of major internet connectivity issues and every tech I speak to wants me to restart the machine and reset the modem.

Then, tonight, the crowning glory.

The error is "The remote computer did not respond. PPP control link terminated"

The tech's immediate response: "The modem software is corrupt. You need to reinstall it"

I pointed out to him that the software does not uninstall properly (leaves pieces of drivers behind) and the only way to reinstall the software is to reinstall the OS.

He then had me doing some (completely useless) register edits.

He then reset my password.

An hour later.....

He goes and consults his techs who find out that there's a bunch of orphaned sessions on the tower that I'm trying to use.

Is there such a thing as competent technical support these days?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • You mean other than yourself?

• GilaMonster (3/26/2009)

AAaaahhhhh!!!!!!!

Three days of major internet connectivity issues and every tech I speak to wants me to restart the machine and reset the modem.

Then, tonight, the crowning glory.

The error is "The remote computer did not respond. PPP control link terminated"

The tech's immediate response: "The modem software is corrupt. You need to reinstall it"

I pointed out to him that the software does not uninstall properly (leaves pieces of drivers behind) and the only way to reinstall the software is to reinstall the OS.

He then had me doing some (completely useless) register edits.

He then reset my password.

An hour later.....

He goes and consults his techs who find out that there's a bunch of orphaned sessions on the tower that I'm trying to use.

Is there such a thing as competent technical support these days?

Sounds like my last call to tech support.

Me: My computer won't POST

Tech Support: Have you tried rebooting?

Me: Uh ... yeah

TS: Did that help?

Me: No.

TS: Is the computer turned on?

Me: Yes.

TS: Go to the Start button, at the bottom left of the screen, and click on that with the mouse...

Me: No Start button. It won't POST. That means it doesn't even start Windows.

TS: I'm going to have to do a little research. Can you hold for a few minutes?

... it went downhill from there.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Oh, I forgot one thing.

He asked me to run ipconfig while I was not connected, and then sounded puzzled when I read back a list of disconnected adaptors and connections.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 3,031 through 3,045 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply