Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GSquared (3/26/2009)

Sounds like my last call to tech support.

Me: My computer won't POST

I wouldn't have bothered in that case.

But then, I built my desktop myself, so for the PC I am technical support. If there's a problem I can't fix, I take it down to the local gaming/hardware shop and ask the hardware guru there to help out.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yeah I find that whenever I need to talk to tech support I immediately ask to be routed to level 2 or 3 depending on who I'm calling. If they refuse I ask to speak to their manager whom I ask to take a look at my account. I remind them how much I'm paying for their support and that I've never gotten resolution from their level 1 guys who are doing nothing more than reading a script from their help desk system. I usually will humor the level 1 guys for about 5 minutes, but as soon as they need to research something like Grant's guys I ask for the upgrade or a manger.

I've even been known to send bills to my ISP for my time correcting their mistakes. didn't get any cash back, but I did get a nice fat discount for the next year...

I hate to have to be that guy, but my time is way more valuable than the guy/girl they're paying $10 an hour to read from a screen and not think for themselves.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• GilaMonster (3/26/2009)

GSquared (3/26/2009)

Sounds like my last call to tech support.

Me: My computer won't POST

I wouldn't have bothered in that case.

But then, I built my desktop myself, so for the PC I am technical support. If there's a problem I can't fix, I take it down to the local gaming/hardware shop and ask the hardware guru there to help out.

That one was purchased. The replacement was built.

I figured it couldn't hurt to call the 800 number. It didn't hurt, except maybe from the laughing. 🙂

So, now, instead of a pretty nice PC at a pretty nice price (which is what the purchased one was), I have the latest Core i7 CPU, quad-core, 6 Gig of RAM, 1.7 Tb of storage, the latest in Radeon video cards, and case that has better airflow than most blondes get between their ears. Sucker weighs a TON (mostly because of the case), but it was fun to go back to building them. I've bought two PCs in the last 30 years, and built all the rest. More fun that way. Cheaper, too.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Luke L (3/26/2009)

Yeah I find that whenever I need to talk to tech support I immediately ask to be routed to level 2 or 3 depending on who I'm calling.

They way my ISP's 'help' desk works, clients speak to the support staff, support staff speak to the techies.

The only reason I'm still with this ISP is that my contract runs until April next year and an early termination will cost me around $300.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GSquared (3/26/2009)

I have the latest Core i7 CPU, quad-core, 6 Gig of RAM, 1.7 Tb of storage, the latest in Radeon video cards, and case that has better airflow than most blondes get between their ears.

Oh, nice!

I bought high-end last year for the current desktop, but not quite that high end.

Core-2 Quad, 4 GB memory, 500 GB drives (Server has another 500 GB and there's an external 1TB), GeForce 9800 and a glossy black case that's cool and quiet. (3 fans and I can't hear it sitting next to it)

Gail Shaw

• I call tech support one time when the WIFI adapter for my desktop would not install.

The tech walked me thru the steps to install it, one more time, and the process returned the same error code I had already told him about. I could tell he had no idea what was wrong. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he started on this long explanation, which I could not understand because of his heavy accent. After the third time I asked to speak to his supervisor I noticed the sound on the phone was different than before. He had hung up.

I called again and told the person that answered what I just happened. One of the first thing he said was: "Error code 10? That means your motherboard is not compatible and there's noting we can do." Finally, someone who knows something!!!!

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• My home computer's mainly a gaming machine, so I go as high end as I can. Don't like to use anything less than a 22-inch monitor (that's about 56 centimeters for those who measure things in a sane way), for the same reason.

The next thing I need to do is hook it into the TV and the amp, so I can get 5.1 surround sound. Right now, I just have 2 and a subwoofer on it. After that, it's upgrade to 7.1 surround, and then I'm set for seriously ridiculous gaming. 🙂 🙂 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Luke L (3/26/2009)

Chris Morris (3/26/2009)

Grant Fritchey (3/26/2009)

Besides, I've operated nuclear power plants while inebriated (not my fault, my chief liked drinking partners) and nothing happened.

If anybody wants to know what Grant looked like as a fresh-faced youth, there are still some faded 29-year old 'Wanted' posters in Harrisburg 😎

And to think the real truth comes out just 2 days before the 30th anniversary...

-Luke.

I actually was there 30 years ago! (In Harrisburg, not the plant itself!)

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Grant Fritchey (3/26/2009)

Bob Hovious (3/26/2009)

CONGRATULATIONS, ROY !!!!!

YOU are Mr. 3000.

In honor of this momentous occasion, you get to buy beers for the whole gang, and a Diet Dr. Pepper for Lynn. 😀

And some scotch. Never forget the scotch.

Dang... I knew I liked you for some good reason, Grant... :-P:hehe:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (3/26/2009)

Bob Hovious (3/26/2009)

YOU are Mr. 3000.

In honor of this momentous occasion, you get to buy beers for the whole gang, and a Diet Dr. Pepper for Lynn. 😀

Just don't mix the scotch with Dr Pepper!!

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Chris Morris (3/26/2009)

Luke L (3/26/2009)

Best part is one of the local wineries grow radioactive grapes for their wines, or so the story goes... Never tested it to see if it really glows in the dark though. They are just across the river from TMI.

-Luke.

A school buddy who's first job after leaving (in 1975) was at Windscale, now Sellafield, used to tell stories of luminescent seagull droppings on car windscreens. There was a highly radioactive cooling pond at the plant in those days apparently, and the seagulls frequented it.

Heh... seagull poop has always been that way... they probably made the pod radioactive. 😛

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Lynn Pettis (3/26/2009)

Having found out he lives in Denver, we just need to get him to start attending the SQL Server Users Group meetings up there. Perhaps by interacting directly with other SQL DBA's/Developers he may just start to get the idea.

Think of it as a work in progress, just moving at the pace of glacier.

I wouldn't invite him to a dog fight unless he was one of the dogs. He really needs to take the chip off his shoulder before I'll even try to help him. Some people just need to go to hell even in the presence of saints.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (3/26/2009)

Lynn Pettis (3/26/2009)

Having found out he lives in Denver, we just need to get him to start attending the SQL Server Users Group meetings up there. Perhaps by interacting directly with other SQL DBA's/Developers he may just start to get the idea.

Think of it as a work in progress, just moving at the pace of glacier.

I wouldn't invite him to a dog fight unless he was one of the dogs. He really needs to take the chip off his shoulder before I'll even try to help him. Some people just need to go to hell even in the presence of saints.

Okay, Jeff, where to you rank him, above, same level, or below Celko. You must answer with no foul or abusive language.

• FLASH! AaaaaaAAaaaaaaa ... Saviour of the universe

FLASH! AaaaaaAAaaaaaaa ... He'll save every one of us

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Alvin Ramard (3/26/2009)

Jeff Moden (3/26/2009)

Bob Hovious (3/26/2009)

YOU are Mr. 3000.

Just don't mix the scotch with Dr Pepper!!

WHOA! STOP THE PRESSES!

Mix

Scotch

I'm pretty sure that can only be used in a sentence with one word in front, "Never mix scotch."

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 3,046 through 3,060 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply