Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Spring Fever - I had a teasing of that last week when it got up to about 60.

28 out right now. I can only dream.....hard pressed to see 40 for the next week.

Greg E

• I used to live in Orlando, but I got moused out. 😉

We've got temps in the high 60's and sunny today. All the dogwoods are in bloom. My heart goes out to everyone still fighting old man winter.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• The generator has been in for a little over a year, works great, no issues. We still might lose connectivity if the upstream links die (it happens), but so far it's saved me a few times.

No loss of power yesterday. The blizzard wasn't too bad down here, seemed more that it hit the more heavily populated areas of Denver more. We cancelled out ski trip today just to be safe, not wanting to be out and about if there were issues with roads.

• We didn't get a lot of snow down here in the banana belt (Fountain Valley Region). Took an hour to get home yesterday in the storm though. We also got a snow day today, Yea!

I've been swimming in the estrogen sea today playing games on our Wii with the wife and younger two daughters. Oldest went out for gas in her car and to have lunch, and we haven't seen her for hours.

• Bob Hovious (3/27/2009)

I was actually trying to increase my productivity by limiting my threadioactivity, Kit.

But it's quite possible that spring fever is in the air for those of us down south.

I've been in a workshop all week, away from computers, so I have been inactive on any SSC threads.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Lynn Pettis (3/27/2009)

Jeff Moden (3/26/2009)

Lynn Pettis (3/26/2009)

You must answer with no foul or abusive language.

BWAA-HAAA!!! ... who the hell made THAT rule? This IS the thread. 😉

Well, I think Steve answered that. What you tell me in a PM stays private, but this is a public forum. I already know your feelings about Celko, all you have to do is tell me where the other dude fits, and I'll know pretty much how you feel about him.

I'll be honest, I think Celko is abrasive and condecending in is approach to dealing with MS SQL and using its "non ansi" capabilities. I happen to agre with using the SQL engine to its fullest. Why give up power just to keep things "standard" in case you change later?

The other dude, however, I think just needs an education. Obviously he wasn't trained properly and he has a definate attitude of superiority. I do think, however, he is slowly learning (again at the speed of a glacier) that there is more to SQL Server that he really needs to learn. He just hasn't had the "AH HAH" moment as Bob mentioned. Hit a man with a bat enough and hopefully he is going to learn that it hurts. We just have to be the one with the bats, and those bats are experience and knowledge of better ways of doing things.

A man forced against his will, is of the same opinion still. A waste of time it is to think, that his attitude won't always stink. Try as you may, you hope he'll learn, but my respect he'll never earn. His potty mouth and lousy code, have but one place here, that's in the commode. There should be two of him, he has such wit... one to bury... and one to cover it. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Kit G (3/27/2009)

:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Activity on the Thread seems to have diminished. Should I be worried? Is THE THREAD executing its plan to take over the world and that's why no new posts?

Or has everyone just taken the afternoon off and is busy quaffing the beverages listed above to get an early start on the weekend?

Wed: Full day of presentations to partners and potential clients

Thurs: DevDays (full day free MS event targeted at developers)

Fri: TechDays (full day free MS event targeted at IT pros)

Add to that a barely working internet connection.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • First poster in 24 hours, I win!

Gail, any video?

• Steve, I resisted the urge to post something all yesterday, just to prove to myself that I'm not a threadaholic. 😉

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/29/2009)

Gail, any video?

From dev days and tech days maybe. I'll have to check with MS. Nothing really exciting. Several sharepoint, LINQ, Entity framework, silverlight, wpf sessions on the thursday and some windows 7, Server 2008 R2, Office 14 and more sharepoint sessions on the friday.

No videos from the wednesday. It was a semi-private event run by a partner company for their clients. That's the only time I was the one presenting.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• [font="Verdana"]Should I be worried that apparently SQL needs a brush, and the web site can't find it? :blink:

Nice to know I'm not the only person who finds Joe Celko problematic at times. Having said that, some of what he's written has been really thought provoking. But he's very biased towards "standards" when really a standard is just an agreement between a particular bunch of people. Why is that bunch of people more correct than a different bunch of people? I tend to err on the side of the product itself, and use it for its strengths.

[/font]

• I know I've had a discussion with Jeff on at least one thread about when/why you would use an INSTEAD OF trigger, so I thought I'd post it in here. This thread, has a situation where if I were forced to use a trigger, I'd probably use an INSTEAD OF trigger. I'd prefer an SP, but, if this was not an option for some reason, I'd probably go with the INSTEAD OF trigger.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Just what do the users expect us to do???

This is why I'm not a help desk person!

• Bob Hovious (3/26/2009)

Aw, Jeff... don't hurt Lynn's delicate little green ears. 😛

Else, be shown the red card you might, yes.....

FYI, Bob's correct. Foul or abusive language is a send off offense in soccer.

• Lynn Pettis (3/30/2009)

Just what do the users expect us to do???

Read their minds, pull out a magic wand and make the nasty error go away, of course.

😉

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 3,076 through 3,090 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply