Are the posted questions getting worse?

• With vice versa I meant who steps on whose feet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Actually, it's called anticipating where play is going so that you can be there to make (or not make) the appropriate call.

We aren't out there to call the doubtful or triffling calls.

• Let me interrupt to drag the conversation away from futbol.

Lynn!! Lynn!! I actually had someone say they had an "ah-hah" moment... with respect to setting up test data for their question. 😀

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Lynn Pettis (3/30/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (3/30/2009)

Geez, you are quick to pull out the rule book. Admitted, the pic is about the red card in the finals of a prof game, but would you as a ref in a junior match do that for offensive language in a first instance offence? I don't think so. Give them a good headwash and they'll relax.

I officiate youth and high school soccer. I will warn a player once if the language is inappropriate and not directed at anyone. If directed at another player, they are gone. No questions asked.

I recall, back when I was involved with High School sports in the U.S., that the National Federation of High School Sports made foul and abusive language a point of emphasis. Meaning penalize it immediately.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Bob Hovious (3/30/2009)

Let me interrupt to drag the conversation away from futbol.

Lynn!! Lynn!! I actually had someone say they had an "ah-hah" moment... with respect to setting up test data for their question. 😀

Awesome! High 5's all around!

Now, if we could only get one of those who won't be named to have an "ah-hah" moment.

• Jack Corbett (3/30/2009)

Lynn Pettis (3/30/2009)

Geez, you are quick to pull out the rule book. Admitted, the pic is about the red card in the finals of a prof game, but would you as a ref in a junior match do that for offensive language in a first instance offence? I don't think so. Give them a good headwash and they'll relax.

I officiate youth and high school soccer. I will warn a player once if the language is inappropriate and not directed at anyone. If directed at another player, they are gone. No questions asked.

I recall, back when I was involved with High School sports in the U.S., that the National Federation of High School Sports made foul and abusive language a point of emphasis. Meaning penalize it immediately.

True, still is, but I will still warn a player who curses at themselves under their breath but I happen to be close enough to hear them. One time is usually enough, and word gets around to the other players quickly.

Jack Corbett (3/30/2009)

Lynn Pettis (3/30/2009)

True, still is, but I will still warn a player who curses at themselves under their breath but I happen to be close enough to hear them. One time is usually enough, and word gets around to the other players quickly.

Officials always need to use some discretion. The old spirit of the law vs. letter of the law.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (3/30/2009)

Lynn Pettis (3/30/2009)

Jack Corbett (3/30/2009)

Lynn Pettis (3/30/2009)

Officials always need to use some discretion. The old spirit of the law vs. letter of the law.

The Spirit of the Law is "Fairness". Life may not be fair, but soccer is supposed to be. Would it be fair to the player or the team to send them off for cursing themselves under their breath? Not really, but if tey keep doing it where I can hear it, I have to do something. I can always use the catchall "Unsporting Behaviour" before resorting to the Red (In High School, I could give the "Soft Red" and let them be subed as well). Does come down to ITOOTR.

BWAA-HAA! If only real life were as simple as all that. In the mean time, I'll keep the pork chops at the ready.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (3/30/2009)

Lynn Pettis (3/30/2009)

BWAA-HAA! If only real life were as simple as all that. In the mean time, I'll keep the pork chops at the ready.

Jeff, changing the subject again, how is the rewrite of your Running Balance article coming? Had an OP today that could have benefitted from being able to read it. I just can't give the quirky update process as good an explaination as you did in that article.

• GilaMonster (3/30/2009)

Lynn Pettis (3/30/2009)

Just what do the users expect us to do???

Read their minds, pull out a magic wand and make the nasty error go away, of course.

😉

You forgot quickly. Make the nasty error quickly go away.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Alvin Ramard (3/30/2009)

GilaMonster (3/30/2009)

Lynn Pettis (3/30/2009)

Just what do the users expect us to do???

Read their minds, pull out a magic wand and make the nasty error go away, of course.

😉

i.e. pull out your light saber and use the Force to make them go away.

🙂

Years ago, I had a sweatshirt with an image of Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer's Apprentice. I liked to tell people it was the typical user's view of the computer programmer.

I would guess that a lot of those who post to SSC see you "gurus" the same way.

• What happened to THE THREAD. No one around or is everyone trying to fight the addiction to THE THREAD? 😀

You cannot fight THE THREAD. :hehe:

-Roy

• We're all regenerating before beginning the mass assimilation.

Remember, resistance is futile.

🙂

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Hey Roy, didn't you hear? They started another thread that was invitation-only and you and I didn't make the cut.

... just kidding...

... at least to my knowledge...

Seriously, I can't speak for everyone else, but my work is getting hectic for the moment and I've been trying to put some effort into helping people when I have time to look at the forums. I also joined Threadaholics Anonymous. We have support group meetings and give out pins. 😉

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Viewing 15 posts - 3,106 through 3,120 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply