Are the posted questions getting worse?

• [font="Verdana"]I've met people who did all of their word processing in Excel because that's what they knew how to drive. Who needs Microsoft Word when you can use SQL Server's built in thesaurus? 😛

"I'm a database Jim, not a word processor!"

[/font]

• Okay, I can at least go to bed with a smile on my face. :doze:

Thanks for the assist with the synonyms issue, Bruce.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Lynn Pettis (3/30/2009)

Jeff, changing the subject again, how is the rewrite of your Running Balance article coming? Had an OP today that could have benefitted from being able to read it. I just can't give the quirky update process as good an explaination as you did in that article.

Slow... but sure. Sorry for the very long delay. I've been testing the hell out of some code for it and trying to figure out how to wedge it into the article in an intelligent manner. I've also been wicked busy. The love of my life recently became a victim of corporate downsizing and she's not been taking it too well... lot's of consoling and peps talks required there. It's affecting everything else, too... not much time to look at posts nor keep up with the thread. Then, there's work and the new task of writing a book... Tony and Steve finally talked me into it Sunday morning. I believe I have the Introduction done and 7 of the 10 pages I think I need for chapter 1. As you can well imagine, lots of code testing there, too.

Heh... there's also this thing I'm supposed to do once in a while... I don't understand the word but I'll look it up when I get the time.... it might be a foreign word and it's certainly foreign to me... maybe y'all can save me some time... does anyone know what "sleep" means? :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (3/31/2009)

... does anyone know what "sleep" means? :hehe:

Oh, definitely a bad idea. I discovered that if you let it become a habit then the hallucinations start to go away. And how would we know what to do without the voices?:crazy:

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• I also joined Threadaholics Anonymous. We have support group meetings and give out pins.

Thats OK, I'll inform your local Threadaholics Unanimous who will visit and get you to start posting again :w00t:

Does this mean that the posts may be gettng better, or are we just showing greater tolerance for the moment??

Just posting for the sake of it, methinks 😉

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Bob Hovious (3/31/2009)

Not a horrendous example, but it's late and I feel like I'm missing something here.

Possibly a "homework" question?

You should have referred him to BOL...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177544.aspx and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174996.aspx.

😀

(Perhaps it would have been too cruel...)

Derek

• does anyone know what "sleep" means?

In your case, Jeff, it defines the period in milliseconds between your eyes closing and your head hitting the keyboard 😉

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• That WOULD have been cruel, Derek.

(It actually occurred to me for a moment. Evil minds think alike.)

• Jeff Moden (3/31/2009)

does anyone know what "sleep" means? :hehe:

Sorry, not a clue.

I think it's that thing you're supposed to do late at night, you know when we're still working.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • At 50+ years, I find my hardware requires extended periods of downtime without input or processing. I wish knew where the backups were; I've never been able to test a restore.

• Hey Bob! He's back!

• Lynn Pettis (4/1/2009)

Hey Bob! He's back!

And double-posting!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (4/1/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/1/2009)

Hey Bob! He's back!

And double-posting!

Actually, triple posting. I saw the third one, which is the one you had replied.

• Hey Bob! He's back!

Well I hope not against the wall, people tend to get shot that way :crazy:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Lynn Pettis (3/31/2009)

Does this mean that the posts may be gettng better, or are we just showing greater tolerance for the moment??

Better? I think not. So far today:

What's a production server? http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic687628-146-1.aspx

Can we USE ServerName? http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic687757-146-1.aspx and http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic687756-149-1.aspx

Half (or more) of the questions I've looked at this week I've ignored because I don't understand or can't figure out where to start.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 3,136 through 3,150 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply