Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/9/2009)

FYI, I also pinged MS on our boasting user.

I believe you need to ping back and say it was an error. Read the last post on that link very carefully.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (4/9/2009)

I believe you need to ping back and say it was an error. Read the last post on that link very carefully.

I'll take that 'apology' with a pinch of salt. It won't be the first time that person has changed tack half way through a thread because of a reply from someone and then claim they were misunderstood from the beginning.

I have trouble believing that just postings on a forum are enough to get a person through the TS exams, especially when that person has repeatedly demonstrated a complete lack of willingness to think or work themselves

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Steve Jones - Editor (4/8/2009)

I'm not sure Jeff will get that one done, so someone else feel free to tackle it. He's agreed to start a nice T-SQL book for us all, so I'm sure that will keep him busy.

Blimey, that will open the doors to some competition in the contracting market :Wow:

Well done Jeff, I've always really enjoyed reading your articles, as much for the humour as the content!

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Did you guys catch the second half of Brad McGehee's interview?

My new favorite quote:

Brad: All of the advice I provided in my book is very applicable in today's job market. While we don't' have any control over whether or not we are laid, we do have control over our personal career. My advice is for all DBAs to become exceptional DBAs.

:w00t:

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Yup, just finished reading it myself. Got a kick out of that one as well. The editor's sense of humor shining through?

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Knowing Brad, I'm....ah.....assuming typo.

Fixing it.

• Chris Morris (4/10/2009)

Steve Jones - Editor (4/8/2009)

I'm not sure Jeff will get that one done, so someone else feel free to tackle it. He's agreed to start a nice T-SQL book for us all, so I'm sure that will keep him busy.

Blimey, that will open the doors to some competition in the contracting market :Wow:

Well done Jeff, I've always really enjoyed reading your articles, as much for the humour as the content!

Thanks, Chris... not sure how much humour I can get away with in it, though.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• GilaMonster (4/10/2009)

Jeff Moden (4/9/2009)

I'll take that 'apology' with a pinch of salt. It won't be the first time that person has changed tack half way through a thread because of a reply from someone and then claim they were misunderstood from the beginning.

I have trouble believing that just postings on a forum are enough to get a person through the TS exams, especially when that person has repeatedly demonstrated a complete lack of willingness to think or work themselves

Thanks, Gail... dunnot the person myself so I'll have to take your word for it. I used to use the word "Brain Dump" an awful lot a while ago and I never knew what the "Brain Dump" web site was at the time. If that site has truly cribbed the exams, then the MS Certs have become truly useless for evaluating a potential employee's skills based on the cert listing in a resume. Takes us all back to what I've always said... nothing like an interview to separate the wheat from the chaff.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• GilaMonster (4/8/2009)

Jeff Moden (4/7/2009)

Actually... I don't believe you have to be an MVP to nominate someone. I think anyone can do it. The more, the merrier.

Anyone can, though nominations by MVPs or MS employees are given much more weight (from what I've heard). Also, it's actually not the more the merrier (except when talking about number of MVPs here)

Total number worldwide across all disciplines is capped at around 4000.

What I meant by the "more the merrier" is for recommendations for a given individual.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Lynn Pettis (4/9/2009)

Any help on that thread would be welcome. Based on further information from the OP, I'm thinking something written using SMO may be a better option than a stored proc.

Which thread, Lynn? I hate to see anyone use SMO if they don't have to.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (4/10/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/9/2009)

Any help on that thread would be welcome. Based on further information from the OP, I'm thinking something written using SMO may be a better option than a stored proc.

Which thread, Lynn? I hate to see anyone use SMO if they don't have to.

The one I referenced when I made the comment that some people shouldn't be giving advice. I think several others jumed in and we might have a solution in place. I haven't seen anything since my last post, but I may have missed the notification.

edit: this one

• Jeff Moden (4/10/2009)

If that site has truly cribbed the exams, then the MS Certs have become truly useless for evaluating a potential employee's skills based on the cert listing in a resume.

It's not one site, unfortunately. There's lots and every time one gets shut down another pops up. There's no shortage of people looking for the quick and easy way and no shortage of people dishonest enough to try and sell them one. They're not as prevalent as in the days of the paper MSCEs, especially not for the newer exams, but they're around if you look hard enough.

It's one reason why a cert on a resume has only one effect on me when I interview - to hold the candidate to a higher standard.

The funny thing is, the answers that the brain dump sites offer is often wrong (yes, I have looked at some before). No surprise really, they require people to remember the questions for the exams and then the person took the exam says which answer is right.

I just have no patience at all for cheaters. I came seriously close to losing my temper at my previous company when one off my (former) colleagues not only used brain dumps to study, but after passing the exam gloated to me that he'd scored higher than I had.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I did some studying for the exams for SQL Server 2000 at one point, but so much seemed to be EE, clustering, etc..., all stuff I didn't use that I quit doing it. That and the fact that my boss at the time didn't respect the certs.

At some point I'd like to take the exams, but I always seem to be 1 version behind.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• GilaMonster (4/10/2009)

Jeff Moden (4/10/2009)

If that site has truly cribbed the exams, then the MS Certs have become truly useless for evaluating a potential employee's skills based on the cert listing in a resume.

It's not one site, unfortunately. There's lots and every time one gets shut down another pops up. There's no shortage of people looking for the quick and easy way and no shortage of people dishonest enough to try and sell them one. They're not as prevalent as in the days of the paper MSCEs, especially not for the newer exams, but they're around if you look hard enough.

It's one reason why a cert on a resume has only one effect on me when I interview - to hold the candidate to a higher standard.

The funny thing is, the answers that the brain dump sites offer is often wrong (yes, I have looked at some before). No surprise really, they require people to remember the questions for the exams and then the person took the exam says which answer is right.

I just have no patience at all for cheaters. I came seriously close to losing my temper at my previous company when one off my (former) colleagues not only used brain dumps to study, but after passing the exam gloated to me that he'd scored higher than I had.

I'm right there with you... can't stand cheaters or liars... the fall into the same category pond scum. That also means that most folks resumes I've seen during interviews is nothing more than duck food. πŸ˜›

I used to hold people with certs listed to a higher standard... when I realized that it just didn't matter, I went back to asking the simple questions of SQL Developers that just blow some folks away. You know... things like "How do you get the current system date and time using T=SQL?". I've had two folks not be able to answer that question. I know... I shouldn't ask such hard questions, huh? :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Lynn Pettis (4/10/2009)

edit: this one

Oh... that one. It'll probably turn out that they don't have the user login setup on the other machine(s) or, if it is, they haven't assigned it the correct privs. Or, at least that's what the error messages look like to me. If the servers are on a different domain, that can add a couple of oolies to the problem. It's a difficult thing to troubleshoot via a forum, though. Too many possibilities of things that can go wrong to list and try. They really need to get someone local to look at it.

I'd try to help more on that but I've always had a DBA that's done it for me... I'm very much out of practice and would have to do what they should do at this point... Google the hell out of it. πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 3,301 through 3,315 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply