Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (3/27/2012)

GilaMonster (3/27/2012)

Is it just me, or does a term like 'That can be done, but people usually learn better' rankle when applied to something you've said?

Feels a little condescending.

That phrase is usually applied BY people who think they have the better solution and believe that person being told that is just a poor little puppy in need of house training.

I'm not saying you are (please don't take that comment the wrong way). I'm saying you are correct about the implied condescension. I'm a big believer that there are better ways to say 'I disagree and here's why'. And people's minds don't tend to change when hit with a stick, verbal or otherwise.

I think an awful lot depends on the context in which it's said.

If it's part of a clowning session where eveyone is trying to score comedy points, it's harmless.

If it's a genuine attempt to offer advice, it's utter incompetence.

If it's an attempt to be lousey condescending shit, it's successful.

Three different contexts, three different meanings.

If you are in doubt, it's almost certainly the third - it's unlikely you would be in doubt if it were either of the others.

Tom

Some days, you guys are more entertaining than my cats.

@=)

HAHA! That implies that some days we are not? πŸ™‚

• GSquared (3/27/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (3/27/2012)

It is amazing how, no matter how often I state "I am not interested in travel or relocation", when I mention that on my resume and list it on every job posting site I use, I still get agencies that repeatedly send me job reqs out of state. I'm not even looking right now, but still!

Actually, if you have the words "travel", "relocation" on your resume, their bots probably find that and assume it means "yes". Just like mine says, "No significant .NET experience", and I keep getting e-mails about how my resume is a good match for lead .NET dev openings.

Yes, a lot of CV scanning software does that sort of thing. The pity of it is that idiots who use that sort of rubbish keyword matching stuff get away with charging companies outrageous amounts if they actually hire any of the people they suggest, so there's almost no motivation at all for a recruitment company to do a proper job. It's a out and out pain in the *** from recruiting manager's point of view as well as from job seeker's.

Tom

• Stefan Krzywicki (3/27/2012)

GSquared (3/27/2012)

[It's a lot of posts, but I've never understood any fascination with "milestone" posts. Number in Hex, Oct, or Bin, and you get a whole different set of milestones, after all.

Or any other "base" numbering system, really. But we have 10 fingers and most of our numbering conventions are centered around 10s. We like to keep track of things and milestones are a way of calling attention to big numbers, whether or not the specific number has any significance. It is a convenient time to say "wow look how long we've been doing this" or whatever the metric is that we're measuring.

That's odd. Most of the people I know have 8, not 10. πŸ˜€

Tom

• L' Eomot InversΓ© (3/27/2012)

GSquared (3/27/2012)

[It's a lot of posts, but I've never understood any fascination with "milestone" posts. Number in Hex, Oct, or Bin, and you get a whole different set of milestones, after all.

Or any other "base" numbering system, really. But we have 10 fingers and most of our numbering conventions are centered around 10s. We like to keep track of things and milestones are a way of calling attention to big numbers, whether or not the specific number has any significance. It is a convenient time to say "wow look how long we've been doing this" or whatever the metric is that we're measuring.

No. Definitely wrong. 8 and 10 are both "even", not "odd". πŸ˜›

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (3/27/2012)

L' Eomot InversΓ© (3/27/2012)

GSquared (3/27/2012)

Crap! You beat me at it! πŸ˜€

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (3/27/2012)

GSquared (3/27/2012)

GSquared (3/27/2012)

Well then, it's up to you to make a joke about people having either 1000 or 1010 fingers. (Did you know you can count to over 1,000 (base10) on your fingers, if you use them at a 10-digit binary counting system?)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (3/27/2012)

Gianluca Sartori (3/27/2012)

GSquared (3/27/2012)

GSquared (3/27/2012)

Well then, it's up to you to make a joke about people having either 1000 or 1010 fingers. (Did you know you can count to over 1,000 (base10) on your fingers, if you use them at a 10-digit binary counting system?)

I prefer to use toes. It eliminates the 8 vs 10 debate.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

David Burrows (3/27/2012)

Sorry Brandie for stealing your thunder. Feel a little guilty now :blush:

You should!

jcrawf02 (3/27/2012)

Don't, it just makes her more of a tortured soul, which will help her writing...all artists must suffer...

Oh, the pain. Oh, the A-Go-Knee! See me suffer!

Now I must go off and write about my tortured existence. Assuming they let me out of this cage they call a cubicle. Oh, the pain! Oh, the A-Go-Knee!

(Feel guilty, David. I dare you. @=)

LOL, I did, but not now, your post made smile and laugh tooooooo much πŸ˜€

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• SQLRNNR (3/27/2012)

When did we start doing milestones for the 5k posts? I thought it was 10k.

A milestone is a milestone is a milestone, don't be so damn picky πŸ˜›

I only did it because Brandie mentioned it πŸ™‚

pssst! btw, don't tell anyone but Brandie wants the 40k πŸ˜‰

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• David Burrows (3/28/2012)

SQLRNNR (3/27/2012)

I'm already lurking for that one!

:hehe:

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (3/28/2012)

David Burrows (3/28/2012)

SQLRNNR (3/27/2012)

I can just see it now. We're going to end up with a Reality Show on The Thread: Waiting for 40k

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (3/28/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (3/28/2012)

SQLRNNR (3/27/2012)

I can just see it now. We're going to end up with a Reality Show on The Thread: Waiting for 40k

I think we're in Season 4 already..

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• GSquared (3/28/2012)

SQLRNNR (3/27/2012)

I shall start to act like a celebrity now.

Where's the VIP room?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (3/28/2012)

GSquared (3/28/2012)

SQLRNNR (3/27/2012)

I shall start to act like a celebrity now.

Where's the VIP room?

Better start singing

When you wish upon a star

Makes no difference who you are

Anything your heart desires

Will come to you

If your heart is in your dream

No request is too extreme

When you wish upon a star

As dreamers do

Fate is kind

She brings to those who love

The sweet fulfillment of

Their secret longing

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 35,026 through 35,040 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply