Are the posted questions getting worse?

• You can't necessarily judge someone by their points, but if they aren't very knowledgeable, likely they'll never get to 1000 posts. They'll get constantly berated or second guessed, and likely drop off.

Or I'd remove them for constantly causing issues.

You can use points/posts as a general rule of thumb, but not an accurate gauge

• Jack Corbett (4/29/2009)

Florian Reischl (4/29/2009)

Luke L (4/29/2009)

Entirely too easy get to points for answering the QOTD instead of posting. Plus, there's no guarantee of the quality of any posts, just a number.

-Luke.

Hi Luke

Seems to be not only the QOTD. Just viewed the profile and "Show all posts by this member..."

I confirm the second adoption. Many points only means many posts, not many knowledge about SQL Server 😉

Greets

Flo

Hey I've made SSCertifiable like that, so anything's possible. 😛

Never stated that it isn't 🙂

Just saw there are already 150 posts in 2009 so the points of her/him are not only from QOTDs

Greets

Flo

• Jack Corbett (4/29/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/28/2009)

You know, I can think of some one else that, IMHO, ranks right there with our favorite White House window washer, and here is his latest post.

The desert isn't big enough at times.

Hey at least he posted sample data and code. That's a step in the right direction.

Too bad the code didn't work (missing quotes, datatype mismatch.....)

I was going to take a crack at the question, then saw that he has five times as many SSC points as I, so how could I hope to measure up to standards?

• john.arnott (4/29/2009)

Jack Corbett (4/29/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/28/2009)

You know, I can think of some one else that, IMHO, ranks right there with our favorite White House window washer, and here is his latest post.

The desert isn't big enough at times.

Hey at least he posted sample data and code. That's a step in the right direction.

Too bad the code didn't work (missing quotes, datatype mismatch.....)

I was going to take a crack at the question, then saw that he has five times as many SSC points as I, so how could I hope to measure up to standards?

Points Earned High Standards (Usually, certain people excluded like Jeff, Gail, and company) 😉

• As it is, I really need to check the forum of question before I post. Really sad when I post a SQL answer in an Access forum.

• Lynn Pettis (4/29/2009)

As it is, I really need to check the forum of question before I post. Really sad when I post a SQL answer in an Access forum.

Amen on that. I posted an answer that included step-by-step instructions for Management Studio, in the 2000 forum, just yesterday.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• And yet, I managed to redeem myself in that very same thread! (The silence in the desert is deafening!) 😉

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/29/2009)

You can't necessarily judge someone by their points, but if they aren't very knowledgeable, likely they'll never get to 1000 posts. They'll get constantly berated or second guessed, and likely drop off.

Except for people who get to 1000 by asking questions, like the person that I believe we're talking about.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I am reaching that magic figure of 1000. But that does not mean I know anything. But I try to learn from reading the solutions to different problems others have posted. I do not have that much knowledge to help others, but I try to learn from the Gurus here. 🙂

And when ever I post an answer I say that this is what comes to my mind. But maybe others here have a better solution than mine.

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (4/29/2009)

I am reaching that magic figure of 1000. But that does not mean I know anything. But I try to learn from reading the solutions to different problems others have posted. I do not have that much knowledge to help others, but I try to learn from the Gurus here. 🙂

And when ever I post an answer I say that this is what comes to my mind. But maybe others here have a better solution than mine.

And that, Roy, is what most of us do. The answers we post are the ones that come to our mind as well. The beauty of this site is that we get to see a variety of ways to accomplish the same task. Some are better than others, that's true. But you also hit the nail on the head when you say you try to learn from Gurus here; so do I. I have learned more here on SSC than I have from just doing my job. Everything I have learned I have also been able to apply in some way as well.

Edit: How does it go? The more I know, the more I know I don't know.

• And now for something completely different -

I don't know if anybody else caught the new blockbuster radio commercial where Yoda urges somebody to do - not try - their new service. I was cracking myself up at lunch imagining Lynn talking that way all day (night?) long on SSC. Don't know how he finds the time for voice-work on the fm band.

I'm sure it also has some sort of psychological significance when the biggest sci fi movie ever suddenly gets usurped in my head by SSC members' avatars . . .

Congrats to Steve, the mind-beam is working. (runs on wind power, I'm sure)

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Lynn Pettis (4/29/2009)

Roy Ernest (4/29/2009)

I am reaching that magic figure of 1000. But that does not mean I know anything. But I try to learn from reading the solutions to different problems others have posted. I do not have that much knowledge to help others, but I try to learn from the Gurus here. 🙂

And that, Roy, is what most of us do. The answers we post are the ones that come to our mind as well. The beauty of this site is that we get to see a variety of ways to accomplish the same task. Some are better than others, that's true. But you also hit the nail on the head when you say you try to learn from Gurus here; so do I. I have learned more here on SSC than I have from just doing my job. Everything I have learned I have also been able to apply in some way as well.

Completely matches my position! Everything else I could say would degrade these to great posts!

Edit: How does it go? The more I know, the more I know I don't know.

😀

... Working on my article 😉

Greets

Flo

• I finished my article and it is on the way for publication... May 4th is the D-Day for me.... heheheheh More than a year since I have written an article.

Looking forward to some criticism... 🙂 Then I can learn more.

-Roy

• Hi Roy

I'm curious about it! 🙂

Is the topic already public known or would it be a secret since 4th?

Greets

Flo

• Its not a secret...Lots of people have written about it in different sites. I have tried my best. Hope it is good. It is about Transparent Data Encryption.

-Roy

Viewing 15 posts - 3,796 through 3,810 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply