Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I won't be surprised if Mr. Celko chases another newbie.

• After seeing Lynn's comments about SQL Server Performance, I read through... well, attempted to read through a couple of articles over there. I have to ask, who is running that place now? Because the information I was seeing in those articles was... not accurate is the nicest thing I can say. I think Gail would spontaneously combust over a few of the statements I saw. It was Brad's baby. Then at one time it was being run by a couple of friends in Australia. I don't think they're running it now. It's scary.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Lynn,

While the rest of your comments may have been constructive criticism, the first sentence "I take exception" tells a different story. Prefacing critiques with lines like that make them more combatative and less constructive in the author's eyes. I can (from an author's perspective) see why he would want to ignore that comment.

However, that site isn't a personal blog. So unless that author is running it, I don't see how he could delete the comment himself. Maybe that site doesn't like any negative article comments at all. Or suggestions that ruin the "author's intent"?

On the flip side, I'm blogging about ACID tomorrow. Feel free to drop by and make fun of my post (and comment suggestions) if you wish. I promise I'll leave them up. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Lynn Pettis (1/10/2013)

Just got an email from a newbie here on the forums. He had his account deleted. He felt he was on the wrong forums thanks to Mr. Celko.

This is a shame. Steve, any chance you can do damage control?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (1/11/2013)

On the flip side, I'm blogging about ACID tomorrow. Feel free to drop by and make fun of my post (and comment suggestions) if you wish. I promise I'll leave them up. @=)

I think meth is a more contemporary topic, but it's not my blog...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (1/11/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (1/11/2013)

I think meth is a more contemporary topic, but it's not my blog...

I think she may be showing signs of her age. ACID is so 3 or 4 decades ago

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Lynn,

While the rest of your comments may have been constructive criticism, the first sentence "I take exception" tells a different story. Prefacing critiques with lines like that make them more combatative and less constructive in the author's eyes. I can (from an author's perspective) see why he would want to ignore that comment.

However, that site isn't a personal blog. So unless that author is running it, I don't see how he could delete the comment himself. Maybe that site doesn't like any negative article comments at all. Or suggestions that ruin the "author's intent"?

I agree - a bit strong on the wording, although the intent was right.

I always enjoy the learning experience from good back and forth dialog.

Removing selected posts (other than personal attacks) takes away from this.

In spite of what some say, not everything on the internet is true....

• Greg Edwards-268690 (1/11/2013)

I'm blogging about ACID tomorrow.

In spite of what some say, not everything on the internet is true....

Ok. Now Greg is writing about ACID too.:-D

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (1/11/2013)

I think Gail would spontaneously combust over a few of the statements I saw.

Almost, on a few occasions. I've had cases where people quote that site to prove I'm wrong about something. Fun times.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (1/11/2013)

Grant Fritchey (1/11/2013)

I think Gail would spontaneously combust over a few of the statements I saw.

Almost, on a few occasions. I've had cases where people quote that site to prove I'm wrong about something. Fun times.

I wonder what happened. It used to be as good a reference as any other reputable site (which is to say, not as good as Paul & Kim, but probably as good as BOL).

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Lynn Pettis (1/10/2013)

Just got an email from a newbie here on the forums. He had his account deleted. He felt he was on the wrong forums thanks to Mr. Celko.

I got that note. While Celko wasn't supportive, the reaction to his comment, IMHO, was way overboard. The OP seemed to go out of his/her way to take offense at very little.

• Grant Fritchey (1/11/2013)

After seeing Lynn's comments about SQL Server Performance, I read through... well, attempted to read through a couple of articles over there. I have to ask, who is running that place now? Because the information I was seeing in those articles was... not accurate is the nicest thing I can say. I think Gail would spontaneously combust over a few of the statements I saw. It was Brad's baby. Then at one time it was being run by a couple of friends in Australia. I don't think they're running it now. It's scary.

AFAIK, it's the guy Brad sold the site to a few years back. He wasn't a data pro, more of a financial guy and was trying to keep it going and make $$. I would guess that he responds to author requests for things like comment deletions, but that's just a guess.

Lynn Pettis (1/10/2013)

Perhaps, not sure if I can find the email of the guy. Someone handled it while I was OoO. I did see the thread, and it wasn't out of line.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/11/2013)

Lynn Pettis (1/10/2013)

Perhaps, not sure if I can find the email of the guy. Someone handled it while I was OoO. I did see the thread, and it wasn't out of line.

May not have been out of line for most of us, but it drove away a newbie. I'm sorry, but Mr. Celko needs to change how he approaches people here. Bashing people over the head, especially newbies, does the SQL Server Community no good at all, IMNSHO.

• BTW, my article queue is getting a little low.

If any of you experts wants to write about something you're doing, I'd love it.

Brandi, if you'd like to write on ACID for me, and then put it on your blog in a couple months, I'd be happy to look.

Viewing 15 posts - 38,686 through 38,700 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply