Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/11/2013)

BTW, my article queue is getting a little low.

If any of you experts wants to write about something you're doing, I'd love it.

Brandi, if you'd like to write on ACID for me, and then put it on your blog in a couple months, I'd be happy to look.

I'm working on an article about checking which scheduled run of your job is currently running in your code so you can do things at different times without creating different jobs. Would that be good?

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

Brandi, if you'd like to write on ACID for me, and then put it on your blog in a couple months, I'd be happy to look.

I have a few I will submit soon - hopefully.

I won't write on ACID - but the articles may end up trippy anyway.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Stefan Krzywicki (1/11/2013)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/11/2013)

I'm working on an article about checking which scheduled run of your job is currently running in your code so you can do things at different times without creating different jobs. Would that be good?

FWIW - yes

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/11/2013)

Greg Edwards-268690 (1/11/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (1/11/2013)

I'm blogging about ACID tomorrow.

In spite of what some say, not everything on the internet is true....

Ok. Now Greg is writing about ACID too.:-D

Timothy Leary....Woodstock....if I was that old, I'd be retired.

Unlucky me.

Okay. Submitted.

Now I need to figure out what I'm writing for my blog tomorrow. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (1/11/2013)

Okay. Submitted.

Unicorns are popular amongst DBAs on twitter these days. Maybe you could do a spin on that?:-D

Learn Extended Events

• Anything is good. Real world stuff preferred, stories of what has worked for you. Doesn't have to be long. Looking for 2-5 pages, including screenshots and code. If it's longer, or near the long side, break it up.

Once it takes many people more than 10-15 minutes to read, they tend to lose some focus. Be better to break things up and explain small, focused items.

You all are experts, so remember to slow/shorten things.

You do keep copyright here, so if we publish something, set a reminder for a month or two down the road and drop it on your blog. I'd also recommend you write a short expansion (2-3 paras) of some part of your article and drop that on your blog when we publish.

• Brandie Tarvin (1/11/2013)

Okay. Submitted.

'

Write a short(er) piece on ACID for the pub date. I'll slip this in the next couple weeks and move something else out.

Tomorrow: Write a short piece on why blocks are good a SQL Server system.

• Guess I should stop procrastinating and get a couple of articles written as well.

• Lynn Pettis (1/11/2013)

Guess I should stop procrastinating and get a couple of articles written as well.

Same here. Heck, I've got one that's completely written in longhand on a plane ride I just need to get digital, a continuation on the career series I was doing.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (1/11/2013)

Lynn Pettis (1/11/2013)

Guess I should stop procrastinating and get a couple of articles written as well.

Same here. Heck, I've got one that's completely written in longhand on a plane ride I just need to get digital, a continuation on the career series I was doing.

So, out of curiosity, for a friend, yeah, that's it, for a friend of mine, where might this career series of articles be?

πŸ˜‰

• jasona.work (1/11/2013)

Evil Kraig F (1/11/2013)

Lynn Pettis (1/11/2013)

So, out of curiosity, for a friend, yeah, that's it, for a friend of mine, where might this career series of articles be?

πŸ˜‰

LOL, they're all here on the site.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Career/73400/ - Looking for Work in SQL Server

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Career/72939/ - The Job Posting - Do I Really Have to be the SQL God

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Career/71608/ - Getting Started in SQL Server

They're really more for entry level folks than established professionals, but there's some information in there for all levels, and the Job Posting one was particularly well received at higher levels.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Cool thanks!

I don't think I'd call myself an "established professional," heck I think I'd even leave off the "professional" bit...

Every little bit helps, when trying to continue on a career path.

Thanks again!

Jason

• dwain.c (1/8/2013)

Am I the only one that finds these kinds of SQL puzzles fun?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1403293-392-1.aspx

Come on! Surely some of you heavyweights can whip up a cool solution to it.

I'm not going to try, I retired from heavy work (which this would be) three years back and from being a serious computer scientist (which is what this problem wants) 13 years back.

I wrote a program to do this function back in the early 80s, it was in Prolog (without cut) and used a breadth-first search starting from the set of all singleton sets of vertices (stop on first hit and it's a minimal covering set). I got the idea for the solution from having worked on a somewhat different problem that Bob Kowalski (I think - it's too long ago to be sure it was him, I worked with him and many other people from IC over the next few years and I guess it may have bneen one of teh others) was using to teach logic programming when I was sent by my employer to do a course at Imperial College. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of that program, and even if I did I probably wouldn't understand it after 30 26 (or maybe only 23? I did work a bit with the language for a few years) years during which I've hardly touched Prolog. I suspect that if I tried to do it in SQL using the same algorithms I would fail utterly, because I can't see any reasonable way (ie anything short or writing a Prolog or Parlog interpreter in SQL) of doing unification in SQL and unification is generally at the core of logic programming. Or maybe I could do a gloriously inefficient solution using hordes of (mostly recursive) CTEs - and perhaps it wouldn't even be all that inefficient if the optimiser is reasonably lazy for the class of expression involved (it's hopelessly eager for simple stuff, so I wouldn't have much hope).

Tom

• Lynn Pettis (1/10/2013)

dwain.c (1/10/2013)

What you said is quite true and unlikely to be successfully challenged.

Hence I conclude that Mr. Shehap El-Nagar is not nearly as thick-skinned as me. πŸ˜›

So why delete the post? I mean really, does the truth really hurt that much? Do people really think they have the right to not be offended by what someone else says?

At least I didn't come right out and say the article was garbage even though I wanted to say that.

Well, he maybe has a whole school of admirers that he wants to keep, and he might lose some of them if he allowed anyone competent to comment on his writings. That's a very common failing with people who want to gain admirers by appearing much more competent than they really are.

I see that he did let one comment get through that might make people think: "What? No discussion of inline TVFs?"; perhaps he doesn't realize that if any of his audience follow up what that comment suggests they will find reference to other tracks and realise that the article is indeed pure garbage.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 38,701 through 38,715 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply