Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Greg Edwards-268690 (1/11/2013)

SQLRNNR (1/11/2013)

Greg Edwards-268690 (1/11/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (1/11/2013)

I'm blogging about ACID tomorrow.

In spite of what some say, not everything on the internet is true....

Ok. Now Greg is writing about ACID too.:-D

Timothy Leary....Woodstock....if I was that old, I'd be retired.

Unlucky me.

And if I wasn't that old I'd still be pulling in several times what I have to survive on now. Unlucky me! Or maybe lucky me - I can live on a hot and island and play at computing and databases and languages, drink good wine and eat terrific food for far less than it would cost anywhere in the UK or in mainland Europe, take in the sun, and let my wife cultivate our garden in the best of all possible worlds (and find time to read Voltaire).

Tom

• Lynn Pettis (1/10/2013)

I guess you aren't supposed to leave negative comments on articles like this one, http://www.sql-server-performance.com/2012/sql-tuning-tvf-scalar-functions/. I took a bit of an exception to the article and left what I thought was constructive criticism, but now my comment is gone.

Interesting, I went back to the article from where I posted my reply, and it is there with an additional comment saying it is awaiting moderation.

Went to it using a different browser, and it isn't visible.

• L' Eomot Inversé (1/11/2013)

SQLRNNR (1/11/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (1/11/2013)

I'm blogging about ACID tomorrow.

In spite of what some say, not everything on the internet is true....

Ok. Now Greg is writing about ACID too.:-D

Timothy Leary....Woodstock....if I was that old, I'd be retired.

Unlucky me.

And if I wasn't that old I'd still be pulling in several times what I have to survive on now. Unlucky me! Or maybe lucky me - I can live on a hot and island and play at computing and databases and languages, drink good wine and eat terrific food for far less than it would cost anywhere in the UK or in mainland Europe, take in the sun, and let my wife cultivate our garden in the best of all possible worlds (and find time to read Voltaire).

Lucky you! Everyday can be a Holiday!

Keep busy and enjoy life.

• L' Eomot Inversé (1/11/2013)

dwain.c (1/8/2013)

Am I the only one that finds these kinds of SQL puzzles fun?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1403293-392-1.aspx

Come on! Surely some of you heavyweights can whip up a cool solution to it.

I'm not going to try, I retired from heavy work (which this would be) three years back and from being a serious computer scientist (which is what this problem wants) 13 years back.

I wrote a program to do this function back in the early 80s, it was in Prolog (without cut) and used a breadth-first search starting from the set of all singleton sets of vertices (stop on first hit and it's a minimal covering set). I got the idea for the solution from having worked on a somewhat different problem that Bob Kowalski (I think - it's too long ago to be sure it was him, I worked with him and many other people from IC over the next few years and I guess it may have bneen one of teh others) was using to teach logic programming when I was sent by my employer to do a course at Imperial College. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of that program, and even if I did I probably wouldn't understand it after 30 26 (or maybe only 23? I did work a bit with the language for a few years) years during which I've hardly touched Prolog. I suspect that if I tried to do it in SQL using the same algorithms I would fail utterly, because I can't see any reasonable way (ie anything short or writing a Prolog or Parlog interpreter in SQL) of doing unification in SQL and unification is generally at the core of logic programming. Or maybe I could do a gloriously inefficient solution using hordes of (mostly recursive) CTEs - and perhaps it wouldn't even be all that inefficient if the optimiser is reasonably lazy for the class of expression involved (it's hopelessly eager for simple stuff, so I wouldn't have much hope).

Too bad Tom. I have a feeling you'd be able to make an excellent contribution.

I hit on that singleton sets thing quite by accident. Working through some enhancements to the last script I posted that should take its run time down to just a couple of seconds. Already capable of finding one optimal solution in less than 1 second (plan to try for >1).

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• SQL Server Central will be on ACID come Thursday. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• /stoned voice

Dude! I can smell colors now!

• jasona.work (1/14/2013)

/stoned voice

Can you feel them too?

Is it like a rainbow explosion?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/14/2013)

jasona.work (1/14/2013)

/stoned voice

Can you feel them too?

Well, if you can taste the rainbow, you're just eating Skittles.

Jason Wolfkill

• wolfkillj (1/14/2013)

SQLRNNR (1/14/2013)

jasona.work (1/14/2013)

/stoned voice

Can you feel them too?

Were skittles and lucky charms created due to an overuse of ACID?

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/14/2013)

wolfkillj (1/14/2013)

SQLRNNR (1/14/2013)

jasona.work (1/14/2013)

/stoned voice

Can you feel them too?

Were skittles and lucky charms created due to an overuse of ACID?

That Lucky Charms leprechaun certainly looks like something from a bad trip.

Jason Wolfkill

• All,

For those who might have read his work...

Science fiction author Jay Lake is having a nasty experience with cancer. He's running out of treatments (this is his fourth chemo course) and few options are left. One option is to sequence his tumor genomes, but that's experimental and expensive. To support him, a bunch of science fiction authors have banded together for the Acts of Whimsy fundraiser.

I thought you might enjoy some of the AoW stuff going on. I've also got one planned, which I'll post the link for as soon as I get it recorded.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Thought I'd resurrect this thread which has now gone dormant for nearly 24 hours to say:

Woooohoooo!!! My 2000th post! Time to celebrate!

Good grief! Seems like only yesterday that I started posting to this forum. How time flies when you're having fun.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• dwain.c (1/15/2013)

Thought I'd resurrect this thread which has now gone dormant for nearly 24 hours to say:

Good grief! Seems like only yesterday that I started posting to this forum. How time flies when you're having fun.

Congratulations!!

Did you notice that no one noticed when I broke 20,000?? (Not to steal your thunder!! 😀 )

• dwain.c (1/15/2013)

Thought I'd resurrect this thread which has now gone dormant for nearly 24 hours to say:

Congrats

Learn Extended Events

• Lynn Pettis (1/15/2013)

dwain.c (1/15/2013)

Congratulations!!

Did you notice that no one noticed when I broke 20,000?? (Not to steal your thunder!! 😀 )

Congrats thunder thief.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 38,716 through 38,730 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply