Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I actually had a game that was running TOO fast on our 486. It was a flying game and the up arrow key was used to take off. I'd hit the key and in just a few milliseconds it would do a complete loop and crash. Turning off the turbo button didn't do anything, so I called Gateway tech support. They didn't think anyone would ever want to turn the turbo off, so it wasn't wired up to anything. Ctrl-Alt-(minus sign) was the key combo to disable it, if I remember right.

Chad

• Chad Crawford (1/21/2013)

I actually had a game that was running TOO fast on our 486. It was a flying game and the up arrow key was used to take off. I'd hit the key and in just a few milliseconds it would do a complete loop and crash. Turning off the turbo button didn't do anything, so I called Gateway tech support. They didn't think anyone would ever want to turn the turbo off, so it wasn't wired up to anything. Ctrl-Alt-(minus sign) was the key combo to disable it, if I remember right.

Chad

I had a similar problem with Lunar Lander. It just assumed that your CPU was slow.

• Like the old days, when you could use Solitaire to determine if your new PC was faster, by how fast the cards dropped when you won...

Then, MS updated it to have a "timer" so no matter how fast your CPU, the cards drop at the same rate...

• On a totally unrelated note, what do you think of this person?

He's coming to Italy and my UserGroup is thinking about organising an event.

Would you pay to attend a session with him? Or would a SQLSaturday be a better fit for him?

The debate is raging on and we don't seem to come anywhere near a decision...

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (1/21/2013)

On a totally unrelated note, what do you think of this person?

Would you pay to attend a session with him? Or would a SQLSaturday be a better fit for him?

SQLSaturday

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/21/2013)

Gianluca Sartori (1/21/2013)

SQLSaturday

Hmm... looks like you're not a big fan of his.

Actually, I don't know much about him, but it's more of a lack of information on my part.

When I said I didn't know his work very well, I was looked down like I lived under a stone in the last ten years.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (1/21/2013)

SQLRNNR (1/21/2013)

SQLSaturday

Actually, I don't know much about him, but it's more of a lack of information on my part.

When I said I didn't know his work very well, I was looked down like I lived under a stone in the last ten years.

Looks to be more associated to oracle than SQL. Very few people would I pay to attend. If he is really interested in advancing SQL Server then he would do a SQL Saturday for free. I might even say do a very small fee for a precon (some SQLSats do that).

Looks like he has been pretty absent from the world for 5+ yrs with an occasional engagement here or there. But still should be a free event imho.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/21/2013)

SQLRNNR (1/21/2013)

SQLSaturday

Looks to be more associated to oracle than SQL. Very few people would I pay to attend. If he is really interested in advancing SQL Server then he would do a SQL Saturday for free. I might even say do a very small fee for a precon (some SQLSats do that).

Looks like he has been pretty absent from the world for 5+ yrs with an occasional engagement here or there. But still should be a free event imho.

Thanks, the precon looks like a good suggestion.

Let's see what the others think. Some keep saying there is no interest for this kind of events in Italy.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• SQLRNNR (1/21/2013)

SQLSaturday

very much SQL Saturday and no a one-man show where people have to pay to listen to a solo performance by Pascal.

The problem is that although he talks a lot of sense he is so extremely vain (or perhaps so utterly convinced of his own infallibility) as to think that the ordinary rules of debate don't apply to him: if asked a question about one of his ideas in such a way as to convey even the slightest suggestion that the querent doesn't regard his position as divinely inspired gospel truth he will produce a reply that instead of addressing the question/issue consists of a vituperative and wholely unjustified (because utterly unjustifiable) ad hominem attack on the querent.

A lot of what he says is good solid stuff. However, a lot of what he says is very flawed.

I personally think his ideas are generally pretty useful, but I also think that anyone who claims that just about all Ted Codd's work from about 1975 onwards was heresy against the religious purity of relational theory is a self-centered idiot. And yes, I do believe that some self-centered idiots are useul and often worth listening to - there are plenty examples of the genre, although mostly not quite so exterme as FP - but I wouldn't go out of my way to pay to listen to them because sensible discussion is pretty well impossible.

Tom

• +1 to what Tom said.

• Ok, I'm not getting any suggestions, anyone else tried to dynamically extract only part of their database's data?

Thanks,

Chad

• I love figuring things out on my own, even stupid little things that one would expect a DBA to know...

Like how to restore a DB to a different server, without knowing (or cheating and checking on the original server) any of the information other than the name of the backup file...

Restore headeronly & restore filelistonly, followed by restore database...

Now, I'd bet all you old-timers are laughing at such pride in such a basic thing, but it's the first time I've tried doing this without using the GUI at all.

Next up: Tackling teaching myself SSRS...

😀

Jason

• jasona.work (1/22/2013)

. . .

Next up: Tackling teaching myself SSRS...

😀

Jason

Whew - have fun with THAT, especially if you are going at it from the report development side. The admin side can be a little wonky, but there are some things about developing reports in BIDS that can be downright maddening. When I was doing a lot of SSRS development, I wasted so much time closing BIDS and reopening it because often that was the only way to see changes I made to the report actually show up in the Preview tab. I don't know why that would be the case, but it often is.

Now that I think about it, I've encountered the same thing when developing SSIS packages in BIDS. I'll encounter errors, make a change to some objects to resolve those errors and save the package, start debugging, and see the same errors crop up as if I hadn't changed anything. When I check the appropriate dialogs, they show the changes I made, but those changes just don't seem to have any effect. Then I close BIDS and reopen it without changing anything and the changes take effect. Frustrating!

Jason Wolfkill

• wolfkillj (1/22/2013)

When I was doing a lot of SSRS development, I wasted so much time closing BIDS and reopening it because often that was the only way to see changes I made to the report actually show up in the Preview tab. I don't know why that would be the case, but it often is.

BIDS caches the data for the reports. There are some files you can delete (I think with the .DATA extension) to force BIDS to refresh the data.

But very frustrating indeed. I once had a report with shared datasets and subreports and I could only see the changes to the shared dataset in BIDS if I deployed everything to the server first. Very strange.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Surely there is a setting in BIDS to turn off data caching, like in Crystal Reports. Isn't there?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 38,776 through 38,790 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply