Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (2/2/2015)

Sioban Krzywicki (2/2/2015)

SQLRNNR (2/2/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/2/2015)

I only have Standard Edition, but I can't imagine running a production instance on SQL Express. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

I have to agree. Express should not be a production instance. But there are a lot of shops out there that don't need a lot of capacity and don't have a lot of IT budget. So they opt for the cheaper solution. I would rather them use Express than MySQL.

Or Access

<cough>postgresql</cough>

This reminds me that I have been asked to make sure that our routing system will perform optimally on database site. I can tell it is performing optimatically because devs are using Java for calculating the routes and database 2 GB is loaded at start up into memory 🙂

• Grant Fritchey (2/2/2015)

Sioban Krzywicki (2/2/2015)

SQLRNNR (2/2/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/2/2015)

I only have Standard Edition, but I can't imagine running a production instance on SQL Express. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

I have to agree. Express should not be a production instance. But there are a lot of shops out there that don't need a lot of capacity and don't have a lot of IT budget. So they opt for the cheaper solution. I would rather them use Express than MySQL.

Or Access

<cough>postgresql</cough>

IMHO there's no comparison between access/express and postgresql, it is one of the most mature RDBMS around.

😎

• Who has the shovel? The horse came through again.

• Now this has gotta be a first! Someone honored to be flamed by he who should not be named.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1656896.aspx

And the flaming solution marked as "worked for the OP!"

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• dwain.c (2/2/2015)

Now this has gotta be a first! Someone honored to be flamed by he who should not be named.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1656896.aspx

And the flaming solution marked as "worked for the OP!"

My guess is the OP has a dungeon in his basement...

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Ed Wagner (2/2/2015)

SQLRNNR (2/2/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/2/2015)

Given those options, Jason, I have to agree completely.

I've worked at a couple of places where Express was used at remote sites for a POS backend (that's Point Of Sale before you ask ;-))

Nothing more than Snapshots/Scripts needed to rebuild.

• ... Mark one off, 25 days on the calendar to go. 25 days on the calendar to go, 25 days to go, ...

• And spending the evening at the office because there are scheduled blackouts in my area. Again.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ed Wagner (2/2/2015)

SQLRNNR (2/2/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/2/2015)

Given those options, Jason, I have to agree completely.

But the origins of Express clearly show that it was intended for use in production, and the range of products which incorporated the SQL 2000 equivalent of Express was quite large and at least some of those products were used quite extensively in production. some of the creators of those products of course were not firms that should have been trusted anywhere near any system that had to be reliable and last a long time but there were some good ones too, and I imagine that the good ones will have been upgraded to more recent SQL Server releases and hence to Express from MSDE. And since "Express with tools" is now an option it's now possible to arrange to to development using Express so that there aren't any surprises from a downgrade from Standard or Developer edition when moving from development and test to QA and production.

If I were still building the sort of networking kit that I was doing 40 years ago I would probably be incorporating a copy of Express into every box (as CISCO used to do rather more recently with MSDE for some of the kit they sold, except that I would make a far better job of it than they did) and the database incorporated in that sort of gear is very much production, not development or test. I certainly wouldn't consider using Standard edition for such boxes - that would probably double the cost of each box.

Tom

• ... Mark one off, 24 days on the calendar to go. 24 days on the calendar to go, 24 days to go, ...

• GilaMonster (2/3/2015)

And spending the evening at the office because there are scheduled blackouts in my area. Again.

Scheduled blackouts? Is the electrical grid overworked?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Fun with month end... Monday I got to stay up for 23 hours with a vendor to fix an issue with a major report. Fortunately it was a bug they already knew about and had a fix for. It just hadn't been applied to our systems yet. Unfortunately, they don't have beefy servers so it took them a while to do the database restores and run the code.

And this morning I got to do my first ever production "Point in Time" restore to fix an issue inadvertantly caused by miscommunication.

I'm suddenly glad I practiced these restore types in dev as part of my self-training. If I hadn't, the database would have been offline longer than 10 minutes and I might have screwed something up worse.

EDIT: typo fix

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (2/4/2015)

GilaMonster (2/3/2015)

And spending the evening at the office because there are scheduled blackouts in my area. Again.

Yup, since 2008.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (2/4/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (2/4/2015)

GilaMonster (2/3/2015)

Yup, since 2008.

So, rather than fixing the problem by adding infrastructure, they schedule rolling blackouts? Let me guess...they raised your rates because of all the work in having to schedule them, right?

• Ed Wagner (2/4/2015)

GilaMonster (2/4/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (2/4/2015)

GilaMonster (2/3/2015)

Yup, since 2008.

So, rather than fixing the problem by adding infrastructure, they schedule rolling blackouts? Let me guess...they raised your rates because of all the work in having to schedule them, right?

They started building 2 power stations in 2008, and increased electricity rates by 20% a year for 3 years to pay for those new stations. One of those might be online by the end of the year. Currently the rule seems to be 'ignore maintenance until something breaks, then blame the previous government' (pre-1994) because it's clearly all their fault that things are breaking now.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 47,251 through 47,265 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply