Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (5/27/2009)

Grant Fritchey (5/27/2009)

Actually, I do know of a publisher that tackles those specialized little books. They've put out one on Profiler and one on execution plans. I suspect they might be interested in doing one on indexes, especially if the right names were attached.

Oh, them. Hmmm

HOWEVER, I'm not volunteering for this (right now anyway). I promised the family, no book projects until after the summer. Apparently I get cranky while I'm working on a book.

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, however it's ramping up to the busy time of the year, TechEd in Aug and PASS in Nov, and usually work picks up massively just after TechEd. Plus there's a 'project' I'm involved in that's going to suck up a fair bit of July.

Yep

That's the first time I saw it.

EDIT: Rats, it quoted the wrong post.

Yes Lynn, it's the "let me google that for you .....

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Roy Ernest (5/27/2009)

Hey Grant, I did not know that you brew your own beer... :w00t:

Actually, I haven't for about a year and a half. I miss it, but between writing projects and Scouts I don't have the time required to put out a good batch of beer.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Lynn Pettis (5/27/2009)

I've never written a book. What would be the process of doing a group project like this? I wouldn't mind assisting in some way to make it happen, just don't know where to start.

I've only taken part in a book project, not run one or written a full book. If it's a group project someone has to coordinate, set up the outline, decide who does what, make sure it all fits together, etc (and that's not even getting started on the editing side)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • What's an index?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious (5/27/2009)

What's an index?

It's one of your fingers.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (5/27/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/27/2009)

What's an index?

I know one more index..... It is the thingy that is always on a book or magazine....

-Roy

• Alvin Ramard (5/27/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/27/2009)

What's an index?

Oh, I thought that was a digit. All this computer-ese is so confusing.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Bob Hovious (5/27/2009)

What's an index?

We have a working title!

Chapter headings anyone?

• I thought an index was a scale for measurement. Isn't that why it's in all those performance questions?

• Tom Brown (5/27/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/27/2009)

What's an index?

We have a working title!

Chapter headings anyone?

And evidently a volunteer for the head author position. Well done.

• Tom Brown (5/27/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/27/2009)

What's an index?

We have a working title!

Chapter headings anyone?

Chapter 1 - It's like your Index Finger, it points to something

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Lynn Pettis (5/27/2009)

GilaMonster (5/27/2009)

Grant Fritchey (5/27/2009)

Actually, I do know of a publisher that tackles those specialized little books. They've put out one on Profiler and one on execution plans. I suspect they might be interested in doing one on indexes, especially if the right names were attached.

Oh, them. Hmmm

HOWEVER, I'm not volunteering for this (right now anyway). I promised the family, no book projects until after the summer. Apparently I get cranky while I'm working on a book.

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, however it's ramping up to the busy time of the year, TechEd in Aug and PASS in Nov, and usually work picks up massively just after TechEd. Plus there's a 'project' I'm involved in that's going to suck up a fair bit of July.

I've never written a book. What would be the process of doing a group project like this? I wouldn't mind assisting in some way to make it happen, just don't know where to start.

Discussing this, just in jest will get the thread to 5000 posts pretty quickly.

Jack Corbett

• Grant Fritchey (5/27/2009)

GilaMonster (5/27/2009)

Assuming someone else doesn't take it on (Gus, Paul, Jeff), after November I might consider trying to help a bit. I'm not sure I've got the level of knowledge required, but I'm crazy enough to try anyway.

I'm with you here Grant. I probably don't know enough yet, but for me, the best part about writing an article or putting together a presentation is getting the in-depth knowledge. Then again for a subject this deep and technical, I'm not even sure I'd know where to start researching.

Jack Corbett

• Jack Corbett (5/27/2009)

Hmmm...a challenge? Who will be the 5000th post?

Will there be a prize? 😀

Gaby

• Jack Corbett (5/27/2009)

Let's start discussing the party plans and we'll get there even faster.

Alvin Ramard

Viewing 15 posts - 4,891 through 4,905 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply