Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Oh Ms. Gail, the exhaulted holder of the double-edged ninja throwing sword, I have a question about the "catch-all" in where statements. Please see my post here.

Thanks,

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• GilaMonster (5/28/2009)

Cats were worshipped as gods in ancient Egypt. Cats have never forgotten that.

Actually I'm pretty sure that was their idea. 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Jeffrey Williams (5/28/2009)

You know, I keep hearing about the number of post on The Thread. It is an impressive and truly astounding number.

But, has anybody checked out the number of views? I mean, really - 106,000+ views of The Thread? Averaging more than 20 views per post?

Unbelievable...

It's an O(N2) problem. The longer the thread gets (N) The more views it takes to come up to speed (N*N).

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Alvin Ramard (5/28/2009)

20 views per post doesn't sound that high to me. Don't we have 20 regular viewers in this thread?

True, except that we see anywhere form 20 to 50 posts per view.

[/font]

• Bob Hovious (5/28/2009)

At least in cricket, you take the bat with you when you run. Something I think would add a lot of much-needed excitement to baseball. (We can start the little ones out with Nerf bats in the peewee leagues.)

Actually this was tried once. Way to many serious injuries and deaths. You just can't let Americans (or Canadians for that matter) play contact sports with a potential weapon in their hands when they are actually in contact with each other. If nothing else, Hockey at least proved that.

😀

[/font]

• Luke L (5/28/2009)

Bob Hovious (5/28/2009)

At least in cricket, you take the bat with you when you run. Something I think would add a lot of much-needed excitement to baseball. (We can start the little ones out with Nerf bats in the peewee leagues.)

Nope that would only add excitement to baseball if you were allowed to clock the 1st baseman in the ribs to make him drop the ball as he was catching it.

See? American.

[/font]

Nope that would only add excitement to baseball if you were allowed to clock the 1st baseman in the ribs to make him drop the ball as he was catching it.

Of course if that was the case you'd probably need to carry more fielders than pitchers for the first time in a long time. You know every so often someone would take a bat to the back of the head. Ouch.

So we armor up the guys in the infield with flak jackets, pads and helmets, and then let them physically block the runners from touching the bases......

This is promising $!$!$ 😀

Heh. See? Now how did I know that this is where we would end up? 😛

[/font]

• Grant Fritchey (5/28/2009)

GilaMonster (5/28/2009)

I hate dogs. Little ones I just dislike, big ones actually scare me.

Sorry to hear it. I love big dogs. We have an 80lb German Shephard, Maximus. He's a giant baby doll. Sounds like a frigging balrog when he barks though. I hate to think about the mess we'd have to clean up if some criminal got as far as the door before Max barked at him...

Had German Shepherds when I lived with parents. Know what you mean, if we had prowlers in back garden we would let out the dogs and watch them clear a 6ft fence in one leap 😀

Have a terrier now due to get 2nd on Saturday.

Maybe we should post pics 😎

p.s. But don't let Gail see :hehe:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

That is an impressive number of views. I always felt that The Thread is a large part of what makes SSC seem more like a community, rather than just a forum. I know I have profited by being able to learn from all of you in the past year or so, but I also feel as if I have joined something good here.

Does anyone else see it that way?

Completely confirmed!

• RBarryYoung (5/28/2009)

Alvin Ramard (5/28/2009)

20 views per post doesn't sound that high to me. Don't we have 20 regular viewers in this thread?

True, except that we see anywhere form 20 to 50 posts per view.

I don't think there are just 20 regular viewers. Every page holds 10 posts. I just read the last 5 pages, so there are 5 hits but 50 reads. 106,000 views denotes 20 to 200 viewers per post.

• David Burrows (5/29/2009)

Grant Fritchey (5/28/2009)

GilaMonster (5/28/2009)

I hate dogs. Little ones I just dislike, big ones actually scare me.

Sorry to hear it. I love big dogs. We have an 80lb German Shephard, Maximus. He's a giant baby doll. Sounds like a frigging balrog when he barks though. I hate to think about the mess we'd have to clean up if some criminal got as far as the door before Max barked at him...

Had German Shepherds when I lived with parents. Know what you mean, if we had prowlers in back garden we would let out the dogs and watch them clear a 6ft fence in one leap 😀

Have a terrier now due to get 2nd on Saturday.

Maybe we should post pics 😎

p.s. But don't let Gail see :hehe:

I do understand how Gail feels. It does seem that when people have a bad experience with dogs, it really messes them up. A friend of mine was horrified of dogs after one had bit her as a child. It does make sense.

I'll see if I can track down a good photo of Maximus. He's a giant sweety. When She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed is not around, he'll crawl up on the couch & lay on my lap. It makes breathing difficult, but he's really just a giant lap-dog.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• tosscrosby (5/28/2009)

GilaMonster (5/28/2009)

I thought I'd seen everything....

Anyone (preferably someone who's telepathic or precog) want to tackle these?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic725415-8-1.aspx

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic725410-8-1.aspx

Gail, how are you lucky enough to find all these wonderful folks???

Lurking a fair bit here at the moment, cause there's little better to do. Hence I'm catching this kinda stuff early.

Got no major projects that I'm busy with, just a couple small reports to do. I'm bored almost to tears at the moment. Add to that a major case of writer's block (been staring at blank blog post all week) and an attention span shorter than usual.

Am not having a particularly good month. 🙁

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (5/29/2009)

Lurking a fair bit here at the moment, cause there's little better to do. Hence I'm catching this kinda stuff early.

Got no major projects that I'm busy with, just a couple small reports to do. I'm bored almost to tears at the moment. Add to that a major case of writer's block (been staring at blank blog post all week) and an attention span shorter than usual.

Sorry to hear it. I hope you feel better in the coming month.

I've sometimes found I got around writers block on one project by working on another. Try writing a blog post or an article on a completely different topic. It's worked for me before.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• GilaMonster (5/29/2009)

Hope you find enough work to keep you busy.

I can relate to the writer's block and short attention span. I have 3 things I plan on blogging about, 1 of which should have been done Monday, just can't get the juices flowing to write them. I have a vacation coming up in 10 days so hopefully after that I'll be refreshed and ready to roll.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (5/29/2009)

Hope you find enough work to keep you busy.

Hope so too. Work's been sparse since early April. Another couple months of this and I might have to start looking for a full-time job again 🙁

Maybe I'll dig out one of the short stories that I was working on ages back have another go at it.

And to add to all the fun, just got an alert from my server.

Volume: Data

Array status: Degraded

Going to be fun trying to figure out which drive has failed so I can replace it. Time to dig out the motherboard manual.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 5,116 through 5,130 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply