Are the posted questions getting worse?

• In the ER question, I think the OP's actual answer to whomever is asking him should be something along the lines of "No, I've not worked with ER diagrams." :unsure:

Then again, I once evoked great ire from my account manager when consulting when I admitted to a client that I was unfamiliar with a technology that they were looking for. One of our other consultants, who actually *gasp* did know it got the gig, and I think that everyone was happier thereby.

(edited for typo)

• Those are all Interview questions... 🙂

-Roy

• Lynn Pettis (6/9/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/9/2009)

He is obviously new to SQL Server and really needs to start doing some research instead of asking such broad based questions like this one.

But then again, I could be wrong...

You're not wrong.

Krasavita (6/9/2009)

I need to know if SQL Server can communicate with other applications.

May very well be the one true violation of "there are no dumb questions".

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GilaMonster (6/9/2009)

Gee Barry

RBarryYoung (6/9/2009) Big-O notation categorizes an algorithm's complexity in terms of the dominant term (without any constant factors) of its execution run-time as a function of the length of its input data("N"), as N approaches infinity.

I had to read that a couple times to get the meaning. :hehe:

Yeah, sorry. :blush: In my defense, I did say that it was "simple once you understood it, but hard to explain" and I did tell him to follow your Wikipedia links. It was only after he ignored both of us and asked me again that I gave him a dose of the pure, uncut stuff. 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• And, FWIW, I had to write it at least three times before I got it right. 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Lynn Pettis (6/9/2009)

Jeff Moden (6/9/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/9/2009)

Okay, I must be in pissy mood today and I have NO idea why. I just lmgtfy twice in the same thread...

Which tread? I must bear witness to this rarity. 😀

here

Heh... guess you're human after all. I don't feel too bad about my occasional indiscretion. You shouldn't either.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• GilaMonster (6/9/2009)

Gee Barry

RBarryYoung (6/9/2009) Big-O notation categorizes an algorithm's complexity in terms of the dominant term (without any constant factors) of its execution run-time as a function of the length of its input data("N"), as N approaches infinity.

Heh... I got it right away... same as being in the Navy... "the small s--t doesn't matter." 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• RBarryYoung (6/9/2009)

Yeah, sorry. :blush: In my defense, I did say that it was "simple once you understood it, but hard to explain" and I did tell him to follow your Wikipedia links. It was only after he ignored both of us and asked me again that I gave him a dose of the pure, uncut stuff. 🙂

I was just wondering if someone had fed you a dictionary :w00t:

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Jeff Moden (6/9/2009)

GilaMonster (6/9/2009)

Gee Barry

Heh... I got it right away... same as being in the Navy... "the small s--t doesn't matter." 😛

I read it once quickly (which is how I normally read forum posts), realised when I got to the next paragraph that I hadn't got the meaning then went back and re-read it slowly.

Usually the only stuff I have to read slowly is academic texts.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Could just be me, but I still think our PhD Candidate doesn't have a clue.

• Lynn Pettis (6/9/2009)

Could just be me, but I still think our PhD Candidate doesn't have a clue.

Of course not! Don't you know what BS, MS, PhD stand for? "Bull S***", "More S***", "Piled higher and Deeper". He's perfect for that version!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I just got sucked into the complexity discussion.

"We're caught in a tractor beam..."

Property of The Thread

• Lynn Pettis (6/9/2009)

Could just be me, but I still think our PhD Candidate doesn't have a clue.

AND!! Based on many of the PhD's I have met (this doesn't apply to few), he also seems to have aced the class on "How to lose your common sense." 😉

Aside, why is called "common sense" when it seems so "uncommon"? :Whistling:

• GilaMonster (6/9/2009)

RBarryYoung (6/9/2009)

I was just wondering if someone had fed you a dictionary :w00t:

Heh. At heart, I'll always be a mathematician. :laugh:

Besides, I didn't use the word "asymptotic" even once! 🙂

[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 5,521 through 5,535 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply