Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Any psychics around who can help this one

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic732091-266-1.aspx

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Lynn Pettis (6/9/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/9/2009)

Could just be me, but I still think our PhD Candidate doesn't have a clue.

AND!! Based on many of the PhD's I have met (this doesn't apply to few), he also seems to have aced the class on "How to lose your common sense." 😉

Aside, why is called "common sense" when it seems so "uncommon"? :Whistling:

I after reading the OPs replies and additional requests and blah blah .. I came to the conclusion that Jeff had the best advice of all

Jeff Moden (6/9/2009)

O(wtf2) 😉

Now I just think

O (whatever)

• MarkusB (6/10/2009)

Any psychics around who can help this one

I can't read minds, but I can see the future...

I see... I see... a dba-wanna-be on the street, looking for work... I see... a lucrative contract for a consultant in the area whose only real qualification is he knows how to run perfmon...

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (6/10/2009)

MarkusB (6/10/2009)

I see... I see... a dba-wanna-be on the street, looking for work... I see... a lucrative contract for a consultant in the area whose only real qualification is he knows how to run perfmon...

I might be in a pessimistic mood today, but I foresee a future with a lot more vague questions and a OP who get's frustatrated because of people are asking questions back to him instead of simply telling him a solution.

• MarkusB (6/10/2009)

Grant Fritchey (6/10/2009)

MarkusB (6/10/2009)

I might be in a pessimistic mood today, but I foresee a future with a lot more vague questions and a OP who get's frustatrated because of people are asking questions back to him instead of simply telling him a solution.

... and the lucrative contract? No way. They'll just promote another .NET developer to DBA.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• MarkusB (6/10/2009)

MarkusB (6/10/2009)

We could send him to StackOverflow. They don't want discussions there, just answers. 😉

• Lynn Pettis (6/10/2009)

MarkusB (6/10/2009)

MarkusB (6/10/2009)

Really? So if someone posts some vague, random question the correct response is "Profiler" and then sign off?

"Snorkel"

We could send him to StackOverflow. They don't want discussions there, just answers. 😉

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Lynn Pettis (6/10/2009)

MarkusB (6/10/2009)

MarkusB (6/10/2009)

Ok , that was odd. Again. The Thread is getting angry or something.

This was the response:

Really? So if someone posts some vague, random question the correct response is "Profiler" and then sign off?

"Snorkel"

Lynn Pettis (6/10/2009)

This was the response:

"Snorkel"

Oh my, no. At StackOverflow the correct answer is to psychically determine what the OP meant and what their actual situation is and what their goals are. And then with the answer that the OP wanted in the first place, only in a way that makes it sound like it's the right answer.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

This was the response:

"Snorkel"

No, in that case Google should be the answer.

Profiler is far too advanced. :-):-):-)

• MarkusB (6/10/2009)

Sorry, crystal ball's on the fritz again.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • RBarryYoung (6/10/2009)

Oh my, no. At StackOverflow the correct answer is to psychically determine what the OP meant and what their actual situation is and what their goals are. And then with the answer that the OP wanted in the first place, only in a way that makes it sound like it's the right answer.

I've never been over there. It doesn't sound... appealing? Good? Like it's any fun at all.

If you have the temerity to question people, what happens?

• GilaMonster (6/10/2009)

MarkusB (6/10/2009)

I was going to make a comment to you Gail about crystal balls but then I remembered you're not in the US.

A reminder for crystal ball users in the US. I believe that starting Friday you'll have to switch to digital crystal balls, if you haven't done so already.

🙂

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (6/10/2009)

GilaMonster (6/10/2009)

MarkusB (6/10/2009)

I was going to make a comment to you Gail about crystal balls but then I remembered you're not in the US.

A reminder for crystal ball users in the US. I believe that starting Friday you'll have to switch to digital crystal balls, if you haven't done so already.

🙂

And don't forget to rescan your digital crystal ball's divining source, as it may have changed as well.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

I've never been over there. It doesn't sound... appealing? Good? Like it's any fun at all.

If you have the temerity to question people, what happens?

It's OK. I post both there and ServerFault (the ITPro equivalent of stackoverflow) from time to time. It's different from here. In my opinion it's not better or worse, just different with different goals and reasons.

Questioning people gets you much the same as it does here. Ignored, insulted (downvoted there) or agreed with, depending on the person doing it.

Have a look, you don't need to register to read, just to post, and see what you think of it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 5,536 through 5,550 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply