Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Alvin Ramard (6/10/2009)

I was going to make a comment to you Gail about crystal balls but then I remembered you're not in the US.

A reminder for crystal ball users in the US. I believe that starting Friday you'll have to switch to digital crystal balls, if you haven't done so already.

That's happening here next year (in time for the soccer World Cup), or at least it's supposed to be happening. Seeing that the company responsible is behind schedule and spend several million rands of government's money that was supposed to go on the digital conversion on their commercial (and failing) wireless network offering, I'm wondering if it will be happening next year.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/10/2009)

in time for the soccer World Cup

How do South Africans feel about hosting the World Cup?

While it's not quite at Olympics level, it's got to be a very costly enterprise - I remember a lot of Greeks not wanting us to host theOlympics in 2004 for that reason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth) [/url]

• Grant Fritchey (6/10/2009)

RBarryYoung (6/10/2009)

Oh my, no. At StackOverflow the correct answer is to psychically determine what the OP meant and what their actual situation is and what their goals are. And then with the answer that the OP wanted in the first place, only in a way that makes it sound like it's the right answer.

I've never been over there. It doesn't sound... appealing? Good? Like it's any fun at all.

If you have the temerity to question people, what happens?

It's complicated and it depends what you mean by "question people".

You can add comments to a post, including the OP, but you have to have 50 points before you can do that.

If you post a comment questioning the OPs premise, goals, wisdom of intent, etc., you will probably just be ignored.

If you post a reply (an "Answer") questioning the OPs premise, goals, wisdom of intent, etc., you will probably get "Downvoted" (points taken away from you) and

otherwise ignored.

If you post a comment trying to get clarification or asking the OP to check something, you will immediately get 1 to 3 "Answers" posted by other people using your question as a springboard to guess at what the problem and solution might be, posted as though that was definitely the answer, and without acknowledging that you just gave them that idea.

Now in my experience, this happens at all "Answer Bonus" type sites (such as MSDN), but it is blatant and rampant at SO.

On the other hand, if you post an "Answer" trying to get clarification or asking the OP to check something, then one or more of the people who answered before you will immediately edit their answers to incorporate their guesses as to where you are going with you answer to make it appear that they covered that in their answer first (I am not kidding). Since their posts were created earlier, they will usually be given precedence.

There's more, but I have to run right now ...

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• I sympathise with this chap, tbh - having had many a "can't see the wood for the trees" moment myself (more often than is healthy, I'm sure...)

• mazzz (6/10/2009)

While it's not quite at Olympics level, it's got to be a very costly enterprise - I remember a lot of Greeks not wanting us to host theOlympics in 2004 for that reason

Now that's a loaded question. Really it depends who you ask.

Some think it's a massive waste of money that could be better spent on health, education and job creation (which are all massive problems).

Some think that there's going to be rampant crime against the visitors which will wreck what's left of the country's reputation.

Some think that our infrastructure won't handle the influx of visitors and the whole thing will be a disaster.

Some think that our lack of preparation will leave us the laughing stock of half the world

Some think of the prestige of hosting a major event.

Some think of the money that tourism will bring in.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

mazzz (6/10/2009)

Now that's a loaded question. Really it depends who you ask.

Some think it's a massive waste of money that could be better spent on health, education and job creation (which are all massive problems).

Some think that there's going to be rampant crime against the visitors which will wreck what's left of the country's reputation.

Some think that our infrastructure won't handle the influx of visitors and the whole thing will be a disaster.

Some think that our lack of preparation will leave us the laughing stock of half the world

Sounds like what the Greeks thought - especially the first, third and fourth points.

Whether the increased tourism made a big dent at all, I have no idea.

One thing that was quite entertaining, at any rate: Athens taxi drivers, who are famous for being grumpy and rude, took it upon themselves to be the very pillars of politeness and helpfulness for the duration of the Games! My friend, who lived in Athens at the time, described it as the whole city putting on its Sunday best

Italy hosted the world cup in 1990 and it's been a great opportunity to build or emprove our infrastructures. Some of our bigger soccer arenas date back to that days, as well as some underground stations. The world cup is always a great business opportunity, because it moves thousands and thousands of people.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca,

Whereabouts are you based? I'm recently back after spending a lovely 3 weeks in Northern Italy - Rome, Siena, Pisa, Florence, Montespertoli FI and Venice. I've left some of my heart behind!

• Leisure and sports allow for a better quality of life, and a distraction from other issues. There have been studies in the US that show TV has been a nice distraction for low income people, not just a luxury.

big events like the World Cup can go either way. It's a gamble to try and get some excitement and interest, boost tourism after the event, etc. It's why lots of places will really crack down on residents' rights ahead of, and during things like the World Cup, Olympics, etc. to make a good impression worldwide.

• mazzz (6/10/2009)

Gianluca,

Whereabouts are you based? I'm recently back after spending a lovely 3 weeks in Northern Italy - Rome, Siena, Pisa, Florence, Montespertoli FI and Venice. I've left some of my heart behind!

I live in Conegliano, 50 Km from Venice. This is the place

I must say that Tuscany is really beautiful. It's my favorite place for a relaxing weekend.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (6/10/2009)

I live in Conegliano, 50 Km from Venice. This is the place

Lovely!

I must say that Tuscany is really beautiful. It's my favorite place for a relaxing weekend.

We stayed at a vineyard for a few days: Podere Dell'Anselmo[/url].

It was beautiful (and the wine was wonderful!), I'd love to go again.

There was a horseriding school just up the road from the place too - sitting in the office and remembering riding through the Tuscan countryside is not a wise move!!

• mazzz (6/10/2009)

sitting in the office and remembering riding through the Tuscan countryside is not a wise move!!

... it works from my office too!!!

Do you thinks it's a problem with horseriding or with the office?? 😀

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (6/10/2009)

mazzz (6/10/2009)

sitting in the office and remembering riding through the Tuscan countryside is not a wise move!!

... it works from my office too!!!

Do you thinks it's a problem with horseriding or with the office?? 😀

Let's see... view from office window: car park and gasworks. In the rain. With no Chianti.

🙁

Pah.

• mazzz (6/10/2009)

We stayed at a vineyard for a few days: Podere Dell'Anselmo[/url].

The place is smashing!!! Anyway it looks a bit too expensive for my budget... 🙁

Well, I know where I'm going if I win the lottery (or a better job)!

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 15 posts - 5,551 through 5,565 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply