Are the posted questions getting worse?

• With no Chianti.

Oh, I see... This is the main problem! 😀

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (6/10/2009)

mazzz (6/10/2009)

We stayed at a vineyard for a few days: Podere Dell'Anselmo[/url].

The place is smashing!!! Anyway it looks a bit too expensive for my budget... 🙁

Well, I know where I'm going if I win the lottery (or a better job)!

Haha, compared to Venice, Florence etc we found it quite reasonable!!

We were on our honeymoon and did splash out generally though!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth) [/url]

• Haha, compared to Venice, Florence etc we found it quite reasonable!!

I think almost everywhere in the world is quite reasonable compared to Venice. London excluded, obviously!

We were on our honeymoon and did splash out generally though!

Congratulations!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (6/10/2009)

I think almost everywhere in the world is quite reasonable compared to Venice. London excluded, obviously!

I would disagree about London - at least it doesn't cost 10 euros for 500ml of beer in London pubs 😛

Congratulations!

Thanks you 🙂

Back to reality now, at work after a month-long holiday... It was a shock to the system (although possibly the biggest shock was that I remembered my network password!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth) [/url]

• mazzz (6/10/2009)

Back to reality now, at work after a month-long holiday... It was a shock to the system (although possibly the biggest shock was that I remembered my network password!)

'123456' or 'pa$$word'? Mine's on a post-it here somewhere . . .

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (6/10/2009)

mazzz (6/10/2009)

Oh, Great!! Now I have to go and change mine! 😛

• Lynn Pettis (6/10/2009)

jcrawf02 (6/10/2009)

mazzz (6/10/2009)

Oh, Great!! Now I have to go and change mine! 😛

You too?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Okay, venting...

We have our White House Window Washer, our PhD Candidate, our True-Relational Zealot. Do we call this one, The One Who Can't, or Won't, Read?

Okay, venting...

We have our White House Window Washer, our PhD Candidate, our True-Relational Zealot. Do we call this one, The One Who Can't, or Won't, Read?

Too long. I suggest "Illiterati". 😉

Edit: I must say, Lynn, very nice 'lmgtfy'-restraint applied there.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Need some advice on how to respond in the future...

While venting:

Do you think that I've overreacted on that post http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost732338.aspx

I mean, posting sample data in Excel is fine for the OP but providing the same data in consumable format he's "unable" to? Especially when taking the almost 400 points into account...

It's not that hard to generate sample data - but it's time consuming.

I've seen this happening more and more often that there's a lack of providing data in consumable format (not taking the newbies into account since they might not know about)...

What do you think is a proper response? Ignore the post? Do the data sampling by yourself followed by the advice "please do better next time"? Any other way?

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• lmu92 (6/10/2009)

Need some advice on how to respond in the future...

While venting:

Do you think that I've overreacted on that post http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost732338.aspx

I mean, posting sample data in Excel is fine for the OP but providing the same data in consumable format he's "unable" to? Especially when taking the almost 400 points into account...

It's not that hard to generate sample data - but it's time consuming.

I've seen this happening more and more often that there's a lack of providing data in consumable format (not taking the newbies into account since they might not know about)...

What do you think is a proper response? Ignore the post? Do the data sampling by yourself followed by the advice "please do better next time"? Any other way?

Lutz,

I had seen this thread and your post before you posted here. I think you did very well in your response.

And that he could post data in an Excel spreadsheet as an attachment, but not directly on the site??

• jcrawf02 (6/10/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/10/2009)

Okay, venting...

So, you liked that I actually linked him to the CAST and CONVERT (Transact-SQL) entry in BOL on MSDN?

jcrawf02 (6/10/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/10/2009)

Okay, venting...

So, you liked that I actually linked him to the CAST and CONVERT (Transact-SQL) entry in BOL on MSDN?

Yes, I did like it. But, I was also mildly surprised that there wasn't a link to lmgtfy there, which I think would have been more appropriate.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Hey gang,

A reader of my article today asked a very good question that I'm not sure what the answer would be. I'm hoping that someone along the likes of Gail or Grant will take a look and help me out here.

Thanks,

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

jcrawf02 (6/10/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/10/2009)

Okay, venting...

Well, the next time Illiterati posts a similar question you can be sure that there will be a lmgtfy link.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,566 through 5,580 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply