Are the posted questions getting worse?

• WayneS (6/10/2009)

Hey gang,

A reader of my article today asked a very good question that I'm not sure what the answer would be. I'm hoping that someone along the likes of Gail or Grant will take a look and help me out here.

Thanks,

Awesome Wayne. I just read through all the posts. You did a great job! :w00t:

• Lynn Pettis (6/10/2009)

WayneS (6/10/2009)

Hey gang,

A reader of my article today asked a very good question that I'm not sure what the answer would be. I'm hoping that someone along the likes of Gail or Grant will take a look and help me out here.

Thanks,

I didn't do it alone... I had some very good feedback from you and others.

FYI, I've had several PMs from people wanting to use it on their intranets, pass it on to others, etc. Seems it was received very well.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (6/10/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/10/2009)

WayneS (6/10/2009)

Hey gang,

Thanks,

I didn't do it alone... I had some very good feedback from you and others.

FYI, I've had several PMs from people wanting to use it on their intranets, pass it on to others, etc. Seems it was received very well.

Yes, it was. In fact you already gave me permission to provide it to my fellow workers. I plan on putting it on our Intranet (SharePoint Site) shortly.

Here is what I really like, though, over 7,000 views already and I don't recall a single negative comment as of yet. That is impressive.

• lmu92 (6/10/2009)

It's not that hard to generate sample data - but it's time consuming.

It's a lot less time consuming than putting it into an excel spreadsheet, attaching the file, and uploading it.

The other thing is that if someone with a substantial number of posts told me the best way to post something to get a better answer, you can bet credits to Navy beans that I'd do it because I'd be the one who needed the correct answer.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• WayneS (6/10/2009)

Hey gang,

Thanks,

Looks like Gail got to it AND did a better job of answering it than I would have.

Again, nice job on the article. 7000 hits in less than a week is pretty amazing.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (6/11/2009)

WayneS (6/10/2009)

Hey gang,

Thanks,

Looks like Gail got to it AND did a better job of answering it than I would have.

I appreciate both of you'll looking at it. I just knew you'll would do a better job than me in answering it.

Again, nice job on the article. 7000 hits in less than a week is pretty amazing.

Thank you. It turned out to be about 9000 in the first day. And, like Lynn has mentioned, not one negative comment about it. I'm 🙂

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• mazzz (6/10/2009)

GilaMonster (6/10/2009)

in time for the soccer World Cup

How do South Africans feel about hosting the World Cup?

While it's not quite at Olympics level, it's got to be a very costly enterprise - I remember a lot of Greeks not wanting us to host theOlympics in 2004 for that reason

Mazzz, it is the second biggest sporting event in the world, so we down here all have some kind of opinion about it.

Mine: Great we got it, and I was cheering together with lots of other custumors at our local Pick'n'Pay supermarket when Sepp Blatter drew the "South Africa" ballot out of the envelope a few years ago.

My stance? Apart from Cape Town eventually having a proper 68.000 seater stadium (Newlands Rugby stadium only caters for 48.000) there are a lot of other infrastructure enhancements (public transport, roads, communications etc.) going on that wouldn't have happened if it were not for 2010, so I'm happy that it is money well spent.

Now let's see if we can pull the Confederations Cup off without hitches. That one starts on Sunday.

I'm positive about the whole thing, but will surely not attend a single match. Much better on the Telly 🙂

Jan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Hey, Gail (or anyone else either), if you get a chance could you check out this thread on SO for me? I'm sure that I'm right about the parameter-sniffing, but I cannot figure out why the client requests are getting changed to sp_executesql and parametrized so much.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (6/11/2009)

Hey, Gail (or anyone else either), if you get a chance could you check out this thread on SO for me? I'm sure that I'm right about the parameter-sniffing, but I cannot figure out why the client requests are getting changed to sp_executesql and parametrized so much.

[font="Verdana"]I don't know enough to comment meaningfully. I suspect there may be a code generator in the loop (from the comment "I can't force a recompile on every statement my codegen makes") and that's what it doing the conversion to use sp_executesql. But reading through I couldn't confirm that.

I think that the initial code that he posted is what he is running manually in SQL Server Management Studio to try and emulate the issue. The actual code that the .Net application runs is the generated call to sp_executesql.

So it's not SQL Server that'd doing the change to sp_executesql... that's the .Net code generator thingie he is using.

[/font]

• Ok so Barry and Bruce made me laugh out loud in the office again. (Wayne's discussion).

• Heh, that was a good one. 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Bruce W Cassidy (6/11/2009)

RBarryYoung (6/11/2009)

Hey, Gail (or anyone else either), if you get a chance could you check out this thread on SO for me? I'm sure that I'm right about the parameter-sniffing, but I cannot figure out why the client requests are getting changed to sp_executesql and parametrized so much.

[font="Verdana"]I don't know enough to comment meaningfully. I suspect there may be a code generator in the loop (from the comment "I can't force a recompile on every statement my codegen makes") and that's what it doing the conversion to use sp_executesql. But reading through I couldn't confirm that.

I think that the initial code that he posted is what he is running manually in SQL Server Management Studio to try and emulate the issue. The actual code that the .Net application runs is the generated call to sp_executesql.

So it's not SQL Server that'd doing the change to sp_executesql... that's the .Net code generator thingie he is using.

[/font]

Good catch Bruce. I had suspect some sleight of hand from either the OP or the Client code, but I missed the codegen reference.

Does anyone know of any client-code DB tools that change their queries into sp_executesql calls? Does Linq-to-SQL or Linq-to-Entities do that?

[/font]

• RBarryYoung (6/12/2009)

Does anyone know of any client-code DB tools that change their queries into sp_executesql calls? Does Linq-to-SQL or Linq-to-Entities do that?

Some Java jdbc drivers turn prepared statements into sp_executesql. I don't remember if .Net providers do the same.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Jan Van der Eecken (6/11/2009)

Mazzz, it is the second biggest sporting event in the world, so we down here all have some kind of opinion about it.

Mine: Great we got it, and I was cheering together with lots of other custumors at our local Pick'n'Pay supermarket when Sepp Blatter drew the "South Africa" ballot out of the envelope a few years ago.

My stance? Apart from Cape Town eventually having a proper 68.000 seater stadium (Newlands Rugby stadium only caters for 48.000) there are a lot of other infrastructure enhancements (public transport, roads, communications etc.) going on that wouldn't have happened if it were not for 2010, so I'm happy that it is money well spent.

Aye, Athens did get the Metro built I suppose. But then there was the Olympic village, which they thought would be sold at a profit afterwards as luxury apartments - as far as I know they're still waiting for that to happen...

I'm positive about the whole thing, but will surely not attend a single match. Much better on the Telly 🙂

Whaaaaaaaaaat?! Surely not!

I'm quite looking forward to the London 2012 olympics, thinking about it - I'll definitely be getting tickets for the weightlifting 🙂

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth) [/url]

• RBarryYoung (6/12/2009)

Good catch Bruce. I had suspect some sleight of hand from either the OP or the Client code, but I missed the codegen reference.

I know nHibernate does exactly that.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 5,581 through 5,595 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply