Are the posted questions getting worse?

• What do you all know about nHibernate? Seems like it has a problem executing SPs. They are good for CRUD I guess.

Isnt Subsonic better than nHibernate? Subsonic does support stored proc execution better than nHibernate or other ORM tools. The developers here wants to use nHibernate and I am a bit vary of that idea...

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (6/12/2009)

I am a bit vary of that idea...

Personally, I'd be a bit "wary"...;-) What's that old saying? "Don't vary, be happy"

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• oops.... Sorry... vary and wary... I need a good spell checker that can read my mind and point out the mistakes I am making when typing...:hehe:

-Roy

• Grant Fritchey (6/12/2009)

RBarryYoung (6/12/2009)

Good catch Bruce. I had suspect some sleight of hand from either the OP or the Client code, but I missed the codegen reference.

Does anyone know of any client-code DB tools that change their queries into sp_executesql calls? Does Linq-to-SQL or Linq-to-Entities do that?

I know nHibernate does exactly that.

Thanks, Grant. I was wonderng that very thing...

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Roy Ernest (6/12/2009)

What do you all know about nHibernate? Seems like it has a problem executing SPs. They are good for CRUD I guess.

Isnt Subsonic better than nHibernate? Subsonic does support stored proc execution better than nHibernate or other ORM tools. The developers here wants to use nHibernate and I am a bit vary of that idea...

We've got a rather major project that is using it. Based on my research into it, if it's used correctly, it's a pretty amazing tool. Unfortunately, my group has chosen to use it incorrectly. If you use the tool as designed, a object to relation mapper, it's cool. It's when you decide that hey, who needs all that relational headache. We can use this as an object to object mapper, eliminate the DBA' (who we hate) and everything will be PERFECT... except for that horrible performance and a complete inability to generate reports or share data with other applications.

Anyway, the worst thing I've found about nHibernate is that it generates variables based on the length of the data supplied, not on the length of the data stored. So if you have a varchar(50) column and receive the string 'dog' you'll get a varchar(3) but if the next call is 'rabbit' you get a varchar(6). That means compiling & storing a new execution plan... You can envision the problems that start to arise from there. Not to mention that, it won't always get a good data conversion, you might get implicit conversions in the tsql, which means, even if there's a useful index (unlikely since DBA's weren't involved in the project) it won't be used by the query.

Other than that, I love ORM tools.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• There's some nHibernate in use here in the admin tools. When it became problematic to add columns to a page (related table) or change the queries for particular pages, I wasn't sure if I wanted to punch the developer in the UK or the architect of nHibernate at MS.

It's entirely possible that my developers have mis-used it, as Grant's have, but it has caused me some frustration here. I might suggest you pilot a few small things with a developer, then ask for changes, Go through what might be reasonable alterations of the app and see if they still like nHibernate. I don't care what tool they use, but that tool cannot then get in the client's way.

• Roy Ernest (6/12/2009)

oops.... Sorry... vary and wary...

My apologies to you, just yanking your chain. It's Friday and I'm feeling fine!

Roy Ernest (6/12/2009)

I need a good spell checker that can read my mind and point out the mistakes ...:hehe:

Simply get married! :w00t:

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• tosscrosby (6/12/2009)

Roy Ernest (6/12/2009)

oops.... Sorry... vary and wary...

My apologies to you, just yanking your chain. It's Friday and I'm feeling fine!

Roy Ernest (6/12/2009)

I need a good spell checker that can read my mind and point out the mistakes ...:hehe:

Simply get married! :w00t:

I am married... She points out my mistakes when I am home... :hehe:

Grant, Steve Thanks for the input. The Parameter size that is passed through with variable size, that is a very scary thought.

Steve/Grant, they did some basic tests and they all find it good since they dont have to write SQL Code. Question, if they are using Select statements directly from the app using nHibernate, how do you manage to secure your DB? I have a bad feeling about giving select permission on tables to the App user.

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (6/12/2009)

I am married... She points out my mistakes when I am home... :hehe:

Grant, Steve Thanks for the input. The Parameter size that is passed through with variable size, that is a very scary thought.

Steve/Grant, they did some basic tests and they all find it good since they dont have to write SQL Code. Question, if they are using Select statements directly from the app using nHibernate, how do you manage to secure your DB? I have a bad feeling about giving select permission on tables to the App user.

Oh yeah, and security stinks too. You more or less are completely reliant on the app & the developers for just about everything. We get to run backups for them.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• No idea on security here, but we have one login for the web app, in a role, basic db security.

There are roles in the db tables, so I assume they are joining to verify security, but it's possible they just validate on log in and then show menus based on that.

• I just saw the PASS session list. Congrats Gail and Grant!!!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Congrats Grant and Gail as well!

I'm an alternate, fine by me. Jeff, any word for you?

• Thanks. 😀

I'm presenting two sessions this year, one spotlight and one general (with my 3rd submission marked 'alternate'). I've got one confirmed full session at TechEd Africa as well, plus possibly one or two Chalk and Talk sessions. Looks like it's going to be a very busy few months.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/13/2009)

Thanks. 😀

I'm presenting two sessions this year, one spotlight and one general (with my 3rd submission marked 'alternate'). I've got one confirmed full session at TechEd Africa as well, plus possibly one or two Chalk and Talk sessions. Looks like it's going to be a very busy few months.

Wow. Congratulations to you Gail, and all the other.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• GilaMonster (6/13/2009)

Thanks. 😀

Congratulations Gail and Grant!

Edit: Shame on me, missed Grant...

Viewing 15 posts - 5,596 through 5,610 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply