Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Is anyone else having an issue with getting the new generic powerpoint template from SQLSaturday.com? I keeping getting a 'cannot open powerpoint out of memory' kind of error.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jeff Moden - Saturday, May 20, 2017 2:29 PM

Shifting gears a bit and referring to the following post...
    https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1877279/BEFORE-TRIGGER-Idea-Posted-to-Microsoft-Connect
    I worked with Oracle for about 3 years.  In general, I have no love for it BUT it does have some things that I found incredibly useful that I'd like to see in SQL Server.  One of those things is "BEFORE Triggers", not to be confused with the current "INSTEAD OF Triggers" which, although are useful for certain things, I find to be a general pain in the britches for things that I end up resigning myself to using because there is no "BEFORE Trigger" construct.

The post has a link to the connect item on the subject.  MS is thinking about it but thinks the idea needs to be voted up to make a move.  I don't know why that one person that voted it down did because they didn't have the nads to post a comment as to why they voted it down but I've wished they had the capability for more than a decade.  Please help vote this one up.  Thanks.

Done.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Monday, May 22, 2017 5:07 AM

Is anyone else having an issue with getting the new generic powerpoint template from SQLSaturday.com? I keeping getting a 'cannot open powerpoint out of memory' kind of error.

I can't seem to open it using IE.
    But Chrome downloads it without a hitch.

I have renamed it to docx, and attached.

• DesNorton - Monday, May 22, 2017 5:25 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Monday, May 22, 2017 5:07 AM

Is anyone else having an issue with getting the new generic powerpoint template from SQLSaturday.com? I keeping getting a 'cannot open powerpoint out of memory' kind of error.

I can't seem to open it using IE.
    But Chrome downloads it without a hitch.

I have renamed it to docx, and attached.

Thank you.

• Anyone in the mood for talking about RAM requirements while remaining tight-lipped about the use of NOLOCK? Here you go.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin - Monday, May 22, 2017 6:00 PM

Anyone in the mood for talking about RAM requirements while remaining tight-lipped about the use of NOLOCK? Here you go.

Not to mention that he has a fairly busy WebServer and SSIS on the same box.  His database is pretty small though.  As he says, he has 14 LAC (1.4 million in U.S. English terms) "records" on it.  Unless they're "super records", that's a pretty small database as today's databases go.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Monday, May 22, 2017 10:19 PM

Phil Parkin - Monday, May 22, 2017 6:00 PM

Anyone in the mood for talking about RAM requirements while remaining tight-lipped about the use of NOLOCK? Here you go.

Not to mention that he has a fairly busy WebServer and SSIS on the same box.  His database is pretty small though.  As he says, he has 14 LAC (1.4 million in U.S. English terms) "records" on it.  Unless they're "super records", that's a pretty small database as today's databases go.

But at least they (ahem) "designed the pages" to minimize the impact of NOLOCK, so all should be fine.
    I don't have the energy to fight that battle today, but if anyone wants to, then please tell them how silly it is to first expand RAM and then tune queries so well that you don't ned the RAM anymore, (Not that I would ever protest against more RAM for a DB server, but with 1.4 million rows in 28 GB, he probably holds the entire database in the buffer pool already)

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• So, for those in the US, any big plans for the upcoming long weekend?

Me, I'm going to be painting our bathroom (oh fun,) and building some shelves for our cats to get up on to look out a window when they want.

• jasona.work - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:30 AM

So, for those in the US, any big plans for the upcoming long weekend?

Me, I'm going to be painting our bathroom (oh fun,) and building some shelves for our cats to get up on to look out a window when they want.

Still deciding. Probably get to the Jazz festival here in Atlanta, visit a vineyard, bbq (grill) by the pool with some friends. Or maybe I'll have to stay and do some house work.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Enjoy the painting Jason!

Its a long weekend in the UK as well.
    So I'm going to some gigs. I know, I'll give you all some time to pick yourselves off the floor.
    Simple Minds acoustic at the London Palladium (oh fancy)
    Paul Rodgers honouring his Free back catalogue at the Royal Albert Hall (oh fancy again)
    And I'm also going to the Pink Floyd Exhibition at the Victoria And Albert Museum.
    I'm guessing the security will be increased after the attack in Manchester.

Rodders...

• Next long weekend here is 3 weeks away (16th June). Pity, because I could really use an extra day off.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • rodjkidd - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:57 AM

jasona.work - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:30 AM

Enjoy the painting Jason!

Its a long weekend in the UK as well.
    So I'm going to some gigs. I know, I'll give you all some time to pick yourselves off the floor.
    Simple Minds acoustic at the London Palladium (oh fancy)
    Paul Rodgers honouring his Free back catalogue at the Royal Albert Hall (oh fancy again)
    And I'm also going to the Pink Floyd Exhibition at the Victoria And Albert Museum.
    I'm guessing the security will be increased after the attack in Manchester.

Rodders...

I've got a 40th birthday on Friday, then stuck in on Saturday waiting for a new oven and broadband router.  At least I'll have time for the hangover to clear.  After that we're off to Scotland camping for a week which should be good.

It's chaos in Manchester at the moment, there's roads closed all round the city centre.  It seems every five minutes there's a helicopter buzzing overhead.  The latest news is there's been somebody arrested near to my sister's house.

It's a bit scary in the respect that I walked through those doors myself two weeks ago.  It really brings it home.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Weekend's task, breaking in the Pizza Oven
    😎
    Gardenline Pizza Oven

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 7:12 AM

jasona.work - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:30 AM

Weekend's task, breaking in the Pizza Oven
    😎
    Gardenline Pizza Oven

Ooh shiny.  I want one of those but I've only got a small backyard (in the stone-flagged Northern England sense) and there's already a bike, charcoal grill and an offset smoker in there.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• GilaMonster - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 7:01 AM

Next long weekend here is 3 weeks away (16th June). Pity, because I could really use an extra day off.

"Hey, boss?
    /hack cough wheeze
    I'm not feeling so hot, I don't think I can make it in today
    /cough cough, hack
    Yeah, I know it's a Friday...
    Yeah, I know it looks like it's shaping up to be a beautiful day...
    /wheeze cough cough
    No, I'm really not feeling well...
    OK, yeah, I'll work on getting better, I should be
    /cough cough
    back on Monday.
    Thanks
    Bye"

/Gail then rushes out the door slinging her golf clubs over her shoulder to make a 10:30 tee time

Viewing 15 posts - 58,636 through 58,650 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply